1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default New/old Locker...cool

My fellow Chea...er, thrifty...brothers and sisters...LOL!
    I have been trying to put together a plan of attack on my rapid, post deployment/pre-PCS Scrambler build and I was shown a new (to me at least) version of a great locker.
    When I think of Air lockers I think first ARB, second...not in my budget!
    Well, I have a friend that is pretty smart with Jeeps that told me about a new "player"...sort of. I was told that ARBs patent ran out and Yukon Gear has picked up the All Amercan made standard and is running with it! They make their own version of an air operated selectable locker called the Zip Locker.
    Negetives...well, prob. any of the very few that ARB is known for.?. Airlines getting destroyed or maybe...Maybe, develop a bad seal..?
    Pros!?! Strong, very proven design that works when you want it to and disappears when not needed. Also, unlike its downunder competition..its cheaper! (Yea!)...
    As soon as I can find some axles that will work for my situation...I will likely give these a shot!
    No, I'm not affiliated with any of these companies or anything like that. Though, If both companies wish to say...send me some free samples...Ahem...LOL! JK

oops...sorry mods if this doesn't go here.?. Please feel free to move it where it goes if need be?
    Seriously...I heard about this and wanted to pass it along. Anyone with more experience than me feel free to chime in!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by jeepdreamer; 05-01-2010 at 11:36. Reason: location?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

define cheap

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default prices depend I suppose...?

I just quickly checked 4 wheelers supply and they show them between $629-$659.
    By Comparison, Detroits on the same site are 551-624 and ARBs are in the $800ish range...
    Ain't free but for a selectable locker I think this is a decent price...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree. It is cool to see another manufacturer enter the mix. Think Im still going to buy OX though.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Dover AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah cheap would be nice... pricing is the largest reason for me not even bothering to look at purchasing an ARB locker...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen some discussion on this already.

Here's one video:

http://en.kendincos.net/video-nfnrjn...ip-locker.html

(granted, the vid was made by ARB)

Personally, I'll stick with Aussie's 'Lunchbox Lockers' or go with an OX for selectable locker.

ARB's have to many components, and that = more to go wrong, IMO.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Competition is good...

Yeah,
    I wasted some of my life reading the input on Pirate and I am amazed at how some folks are just so Anti-anything non-ARB... And what with videos being posted and product bashing...its a wonder any manufacturer is willing to put anything out into the market!?! And almost all of the negetive folks are putting info based on nothing more than their self inflated opinions and here-say.
    I am glad Yukon is making this. Is it less expensive than an ARB? sure. Is it less reliable or less quality...Who can honestly say? ARB has been around a very long time. They make a great product too...but who is to say, without running one themselves or allowing the years of trial and upgrade (Like ARB has had) weather the Zip locker will prove a quality unit or not until its been around a while? Someone is going to have to try 'em...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdreamer View Post
    Yeah,
    I wasted some of my life reading the input on Pirate and I am amazed at how some folks are just so Anti-anything non-ARB... And what with videos being posted and product bashing...its a wonder any manufacturer is willing to put anything out into the market!?! And almost all of the negetive folks are putting info based on nothing more than their self inflated opinions and here-say.
    I am glad Yukon is making this. Is it less expensive than an ARB? sure. Is it less reliable or less quality...Who can honestly say? ARB has been around a very long time. They make a great product too...but who is to say, without running one themselves or allowing the years of trial and upgrade (Like ARB has had) weather the Zip locker will prove a quality unit or not until its been around a while? Someone is going to have to try 'em...
    Good points! I never go on Pirate, (got the vid from Google, had seen it before)

But you're right, when the Aussie lockers first came out, guys said they were garbage, and they stole the design from Loc-Rite (I think?)

I've had 3 Aussie lockers, and have never had a problem with them. They are similar to the other style locker, but much quieter and beefier.

As far as ARB, I like thier bumpers, and some of the other stuff they have out, but I don't care for thier lockers.

For me, it's just to many variables, to many moving parts, to many points where it can fail.

It is nice to see a US made, less expensive version out there though!

Good luck, and we're waiting on the install and long term write ups!!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn skippy! Get out there and give it a shot. I've had a fascination with OX lockers since I first saw them. A couple more levers, cable activated, and strong-as-hell diff covers appeal to me.

I'm not bashing either company. I just don't care for electrical, and as I'm in a leaky CJ cables seem to make more sense to me than trying to water proof anything

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's cool that another player in the air locker biz. cheap too.. that's really cool..

but I'm with a few others.. I don't care for air lines.. or compressors that are prone to failure when you need them.

I'm with Korisu I think OX lockers are bad ass.. and when I have the funds that's what I'm getting.
    `89 YJ 33's 4" lift, High-lined front and rear "The Mistress"
    ** NOTE TO SELF** it is illegal to stab stupid people in the eye with a pencil

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast