Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default V8 envy

I have a decently built yj. The deal i got it for I couldnt walk away. So a 2.5auto is the canvas. I have pieced it together with the only parts ordered new being: Extended ss brake lines, shock mounts, MORE rear shock mount relocation brackets, solenoids and motor for 8274 and a bad apple fab diff prot for 8.8. I rebuilt an 8274 this winter using new take off 125 ft warm cable and fairlead and fabbing up a cj mount for a yj solenoids from a golf cart and upgrading to the 4.6hp motor. Used sye, traded for an 8.8 lsd with disc. I snagged dom drag link and tie rod from someone going with a 44 and popped new chevy tre.s and flipped for 1ton steering. Tube fenders and sawzalled rears help with clearance. Ghetto fabbed bumper f&r with tire carrier 2"reciever and d rings all aroud as well as oversized tube bent to 3/16 steel I had broke at a 90* for rockers(keeps the trees off nicely). Currently sitting on 35x12.5 bfg mt on 15x10 ar 767. Mistake made. bought nib superlift cj springs which are on my yj. Have f250 shock towers waiting to go on when I upgrade springs.came across some shacle lift in junkyards and they help the cj springs move around a bit. Relocated breather for trans added huge trans cooler and deep pan after i SWAMPED AND RUINED the one I had,,lol. I am helping my bud get a bender so cage will be getting taken care of this year. I also came across a CL treasure. A dana 30 with locrite,drivers inner and outer chromo and a high steer knuckle I traded away. I eliminated vacum disco w an xj shaft and have spares for both sides from junkyard. I am prob forgetting something.

OK sorry to bore ya but I have learned alot in the last year and a couple months. And it comes down to do I throw 1200 in gears and a rear detroit at it. Which is kinda hard to swallow seeing as I have nickel and dimed built this on a budget and to still just be pushing the four banger.

So question 1. Do I sink that in the axles and live with the four?

Question 2. Do I find a donor vehicle for around 1200 and drop the 8 in which shouldnt be too bad since I am geared 373.

Question 3 What would make the perfect donor vehicle within price range? I am leaning toward a dodge 5.9 or 5.2 since I can junkyard a 6planetary and wide chain and kepp my 231 w sye. I want to keep this one an auto. (next build will be stick) I need more than one as my daughters reach driving age lmao

Pre answer to questions. My axles. If the 30 doesnt hold up will switch to 44 and can pop in superior shafts in the 8.8 that are same bolt pattern. If people wanna talk axle. thats my contingency plan...lol

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing to consider is, CJ's that came with 304 V8 had D30's underneath, and the newer ZJ V8 (5.2L?) have D30's also.
    I know that I would like a 5.9L more than the 5.2L (bigger is better....right). I would go up with the front axle to a D44. The Grand Waggies & Cherokee Chiefs had D44's (probably partially due to chassis size), but also figured in was HP/TQ from either the I-6 or the 360, 401 V8's.

Later, T.J.

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would do a GM V-8 swap. The cheapest would be a older TBI engine. You can buy a 87-95 GM donnor truck cheap.
    HighlanderCJ-7

If you don't stand behind our troops,
    Feel free to stand in front of them!

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Find a Narrow Track Cherokee(FSJ) or Waggy. take the whole drive train and cut down XJ drive shafts (longer slip). It'll be enough torque to not have to worry about regearing if you don't have to. You can rebuild the motor pretty cheap if needed. I just picked up my parts rig for $700. They are out there. There's two for sale in Milton FL about 25miles from here. both runners for about $1K. you can make most of that back in little parts hare and there. I just did. My $.02
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7
    7,000 mi and counting on the TBI 258
    DUI, Np435, Twin Sticked D300, Locked Waggy D44s
    4" SUA with homebrew spring outboard
    37" siped swampers with some other nifty bolt-ons.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are not scared of driving the 45 minutes to Muncie....I might know of a fellow with a TBI motor sitting around collecting dust for cheap or free.

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stay away from a AMC V-8 swaps it costs more $ and stock FI is non-existant. The best EFI kit is by Edelbrock and they are proud of it $3000.00 worth of pride. By the time you build a good AMC V-8 and inject it you'll have $5K in it. I have made that mistake, oh about 8 times now. If you go GM parts are a dime a dozen and everyone has them.
    HighlanderCJ-7

If you don't stand behind our troops,
    Feel free to stand in front of them!

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^
    throttle bodies work pretty good on them, and they are stupid easy. Check on IFSJA.org for any questions on waggy drivetrain/360 build ups. There's a lot of options actually. You can do a rotor, dizzy cap w/ adapter & coil swap from 80's Ford 460 parts that'll boost you to 40,000 volts. stock is about 30,000 IIRC.
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7
    7,000 mi and counting on the TBI 258
    DUI, Np435, Twin Sticked D300, Locked Waggy D44s
    4" SUA with homebrew spring outboard
    37" siped swampers with some other nifty bolt-ons.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1994 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not much of a motor head to say so this might be a stupid question but what are the benefits to a throttle body?
    99XJ Sport
    4.5" rusty's offroad short arm lift
    35" Goodyear Wranglers
    Custom rock sliders
    Rusty's Heavy duty Trac Bar
    Custom rack with lights built in
    and a long wish list

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Freedo...31009443577477

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Mr Agreeable here...

I agree, in part, both with Cutter and Highlander. Why...? Follow my thoughts if I can explain.?.
    "Highlander" says AMC swaps will cost more...well, yes and no really. This is a swap either way. The only way an AMC will cost "more" than any other is by upgrading to fuel injection...and even then that depends on the other engine options. If you found a TBI GM truck that was 4x4, bought the entire vehicle..then yes, THAT would be the least expensive route to a TBI motor.
    To bring in Cutter's argument, The last Waggy I bought was also a "runner". And while I wouldn't say it was a great runner...It drove enought to make it on the trailer. And after I paid my 200 dollars to the seller...I ended up with a Huge pile of good parts...That one was a 77 model so I got narrow track axles, the "running" AMC 360, a T400 tranny/Quadratrac T-case w/low range, leaf springs...and a bunch of misc tid-bits...
    I pulled the drive train, sold the tranny and tcase for the 200 bucks, sold the rear axle (it was offset for the Qtrac) for 50 bucks to a friend for his samari, Used the stock leaf springs on my Commando project (along with the engine and front axle) and scrapped the body for 212 bucks...
    If you figure any "profit" frome selling stuff went towards gas and an engine seal kit...I basically broke even with free parts for me. A 1200 dollar fuel injection kit would put me back in the game...
    Just my quick thoughts but it all kind of depends on what kind of donor vehicle you can find.?. One word of advice is that if the engin needs a rebuild, you are way cheaper to rebuild the chevy...But AMC is better...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone on here run the 5.2. I might have a lead on a zj with good trans and motor/bad front axle for 600.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast