2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default More Q's... Snorkel

I know... Search for previous post... I did. Unfortunately i am not as mechanicly inclined to make my own snorkel from pvc pipe etc! ... Read a lot of good things about arb safari... Opinions anyone?
    2000 TJ (4 Squirrels)
    4" Lift, 4:11 Alloy USA Gears, 15X8 Black Rock 950 Series, 33" MTZ's, Fab Four Stinger, Smittybilt Metal Tube Fender, Banks Monster Exhuast

What's Next ?

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got one... it was on my jeep when I bought it. If you're not going through deep water I wouldn't spend the money on it. I've ripped mine off twice now on tight trails. I'm also not a fan of how it routes the plumbing all the way down to the bottom of the engine bay.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a snorkel should be one of the last things you worry about. most people that put snorkels on havent even thought about extending vent lines, waterproofing the distributor or plug wires, the vent for the cowl will let water in the interior and bottom of the dash if not relocated as well.

BUT if you do like the look of the snorkel and want one ARB does makes a decent kit.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it's worth, the ARB snorkel was NOT primarily designed for water crossings. It was designed in Australia where the roads are very dusty and the snorkel idea came about to get fresh air from up high and not in the dusty engine compartment.

It can help for quick water crossings or when your nose takes a dive in deep water or mud since the stock airbox is in a terrible place. But like others have said, many other things need to be considered in order to be "water proof."

Having said all that, I have an ARB snorkel waiting to be installed on my LJ. The LJ is being setup as kind of an expedition style rig. So, quick rather shallow water crossings and dusty roads are in its future so that part fits. My YJ will be the dedicated rock crawler so it won't have any unncessary things hanging off the side.

If you really want one, check around and try to find a used one. There are many folks that buy them when their rigs are more mall than rocks and then take them off when they get to serious crawling.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the one on my JK from AEV, and that's a great design and kept up high. It's to bad they don't make one for the TJ. I think the ARB one is junk in my opinion, for water crossing that is. IT goes too far down, you have to drill a cheesy hole in your stock airbox, and connect the two with nothing more than a 3 inch vacuum hose and hose clamps?!? If your going to go with one, I would check out the River raider, I heard their's is much nicer.
    Last edited by michdave; 05-07-2010 at 09:29.
    2008 JK Unlimited~ 4" Teraflex lift, 35" BFG KM2's, Dynatrac ProRock 44 e-locked, 5.13's, JKS QD's, JKS F&R Trackbars, MM 9500 winch, Rockhard 4x4 Full Skid System, AEV snorkel, SS brakelines,...and it goes on, and on, and on,..

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm not mistaken I've seen you guys posting pics of getting stuck in deep mud and such. It's very cheap insurance if you're playing in mud puddles. I put one on mine because I hydrolocked my engine twice and didn't want to risk it again.

Yeah, the plumbing takes it to the bottom of the engine bay, but if you install it correctly than it wont' matter because it's sealed. People either love or hate snorkels, not many in the middle. When I get my JK I'll put one on if we move out west because of dusty roads and such. CJ will never see one likely

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken I've seen you guys posting pics of getting stuck in deep mud and such. It's very cheap insurance if you're playing in mud puddles. I put one on mine because I hydrolocked my engine twice and didn't want to risk it again.

Yeah, the plumbing takes it to the bottom of the engine bay, but if you install it correctly than it wont' matter because it's sealed. People either love or hate snorkels, not many in the middle. When I get my JK I'll put one on if we move out west because of dusty roads and such. CJ will never see one likely

Agreed. I just don't like the chop and attached method of the ARB. But like you said, cheap iinsurance. Whic is the reason we really do any of our mods, roght? ha-ha Like my winch, I got it because I was tired of paying high towing bills when you your buddies couldn't tow you out.

The AEV snorkel for the JK though, is awesome. I love mine. I used liquid gasket between all the mounting points and it doesn't rub the paint anywhere. It doesn't stick out any further then my fenders/mirrors and it slipped right in place of the factory "snorkel". The only giref came from cutting that new hood, but it still wasn't bad. The beauty ring they give you leaves you about 3/4 of an inch of play area. If you decide to get one, and want some pic's before you do it, let me know, I took alot as I was doing it.
    Last edited by michdave; 05-07-2010 at 11:38.
    2008 JK Unlimited~ 4" Teraflex lift, 35" BFG KM2's, Dynatrac ProRock 44 e-locked, 5.13's, JKS QD's, JKS F&R Trackbars, MM 9500 winch, Rockhard 4x4 Full Skid System, AEV snorkel, SS brakelines,...and it goes on, and on, and on,..

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michdave View Post
    If you decide to get one, and want some pic's before you do it, let me know, I took alot as I was doing it.
    May I suggest posting a write up in either the 'Build thread' or 'Product report' section. I know I would be interested, plus I like pics.

Later, T.J.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am with Big Green on this one. My snorkel is there to help keep trail dust out of the air cleaner. I found that running trails in the mountains of Colorado that by the end of the day my TJ was sucking wind above the tree line. Since I installed the ARB my air filter stays much cleaner. I do my best to stay out of water, it is not good for the water or the Jeep. I did find some trails up here in WA that were too tight and I bent the ARB back so I could see it in the passenger side window, but it always popped back into position and never broke. I can't say the same for some other brand snorkles on the same trail that all snapped.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michdave View Post
    I have the one on my JK from AEV, and that's a great design and kept up high. It's to bad they don't make one for the TJ. I think the ARB one is junk in my opinion, for water crossing that is. IT goes too far down, you have to drill a cheesy hole in your stock airbox, and connect the two with nothing more than a 3 inch vacuum hose and hose clamps?!? If your going to go with one, I would check out the River raider, I heard their's is much nicer.
    We used RTV on every connection and I never had any issues with water entering through the connections. After a pretty decent way down a river with the water over the hood, we crawled up onto the shore and opened the box, lifted the filter and no water was inside.

I will say that everyone that says they should be the last thing they buy should get with jeepinsoldier. He hit a spot in the river that was deeper than he thought and without the snorkel he would have been toast.

You never know when you may be forced to use it, and the couple hundred bucks for the snorkel is cheap insurance compared to smoking your engine.

as for ripping it off, I could seehow that could happen, but the only damage / issues I had was in Texas trying to take a shortcut out and it turned out to be a tight ATV trail. The top got twisted a little, but I just twisted it back in the correct position.

Just my two cents, but you never know.

some here may remember this, but we went wheeling one time in GW National Forest. We had to cross a shallow part in the river to get to the trail, then cross it again at the end to get back. It started pouring while we were on the trail and not wanting to be stranded out there overnight or maybe longer, we rushed to get every back across the river. The river was rising quick and you could even see it getting deeper. We all made it across, but a few minutes later and it is likely only those with a snorkel would have successfully made it across.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast