1995 to 2013

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Diesel or Gas?

Throwing around the idea of an engine swap in the Heep. Since I only have a 2.5 I know I will have to replace most of the drive train anyway. That being said...diesel or gas? I know I can pick up one of those old CUCV blazers or pickups down at DRMO as a donor, but are those diesels worth the effort?

What about a V8? A small block 350 is relatively easy to get ahold of and I know they can easily fit into a Jeep. Yes I know it's a HUGE amount of work and it's not cheap by any means.

I'm just throwing this out there to get ideas. This conversion is not for the near future but a couple years down the road. Gotta save for something this big!
    Just because the road stops doesn't mean you have to!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default DieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDiesel!!!!!!!

My vote is Diesel! In "a few years" when gas becomes 5-10 bucks a gallon your gonna kick youreslf for not going diesel! By then hopefully some more work and effort will have been applied to Bio Diesel and you can brew your own...!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say deisel, but not a big heavy truck one

Maybe a 4BT or something.

Why would you 'have to replace most of the drive train anyway?

Unless you have a bad tranny and a D35 rear diff, it should be fine. (or you want to avoid adapters if possible)

SBC's are easy to fit, and have great aftermarket support.

I'm still weighing my options, but leaning towards a GM 4.3L V6 with injection, along with the tranny (I believe '88-'91 4.3 tranny's don't have/need computers)

I had a 350 SBC in my CJ for a couple years, and other than having to rebuild the tranny 4 times (stupid SR4) I loved it!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think with a diesel swap you would need to replace the furle tank, lines, etc. I may be wrong, but for some reason I remember reading that some where.

I do agree that a diesel has some advantages but I would not use a truck engine either. If you can find a totaled 2005 - 2006 Jeep Liberty witht he 2.8L diesel that would be a great fit, but to buy one new your would be spending a lot of money.

Gas would be easier and there are plenty of V-8 options and don't forget that there are now plenty of 4.0L straight sixes out of TJ/XJ/ZJ/WK available too.

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 6.4L (?) from the GM or Chevy CUCVs are too big for their worth in a Jeep. I would recommend either a 2.8L Libby diesel (like Brian said), or a 4BT cummins. You will have to replace alot of the fuel system as well. There are plenty of writeups about diesel swaps on the net. I was researching it a while ago, thinking about the same thing.

As for V8s in a TJ, I think there are really only 3 options. 5.2, 5.9, or 5.7 HEMI. The 5.2 or 5.9 can be found in 93-98 Grand Cherokees (5.9 in 98 only) and in Dodge Rams, Dakotas, Durangos, and I think Magnums as well. There are plenty of them, and if you don't want to redo gauges, it would be easier to go this route, as opposed to a SBC. Yes, I realize there is a lot of aftermarket support for the SBCs, but there is alot of support for the 5.2/5.9s.

My personal opinion is the 5.9. Just my .02

Bobby
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to 2013

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HillBillE View Post

Maybe a 4BT or something.

Why would you 'have to replace most of the drive train anyway?

SBC's are easy to fit, and have great aftermarket support.

1. My understanding is that the tranny from the 2.5l (it's a 5 speed manual) will not hold up to the torque of a diesel or V8, I have to replace my T-case anyway (loooooong sordid tale that one), and I do have the Dana turdy5 rear axle.

2. What is a 4BT and where would I find it?

3. What is an SBC?

Yeah while I've had a Jeep for nearly 10 years, I'm still a newb at the modifcation end. While I can find my way around the engine and suspension, some of the more technical terms escape me...ie that curvy lookin metal thing that attaches the axle to the other curvy metal thing that goes up and around the bottom of the grill. (Yes NOW I know that's the sway bar but you get the picture)

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ravengp View Post
    1. My understanding is that the tranny from the 2.5l (it's a 5 speed manual) will not hold up to the torque of a diesel or V8, I have to replace my T-case anyway (loooooong sordid tale that one), and I do have the Dana turdy5 rear axle.

2. What is a 4BT and where would I find it?

3. What is an SBC?

Yeah while I've had a Jeep for nearly 10 years, I'm still a newb at the modifcation end. While I can find my way around the engine and suspension, some of the more technical terms escape me...ie that curvy lookin metal thing that attaches the axle to the other curvy metal thing that goes up and around the bottom of the grill. (Yes NOW I know that's the sway bar but you get the picture)
    4bt is a 3.9 liter 4-cylinder cummins diesel.

SBC = Small Block Chevy.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to 2013

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twojeeps View Post

SBC = Small Block Chevy.
    I am an idiot. I owned a 1972 Chevelle. I should have known that.

Sorry folks, pardon my brain fart, must be the desert heat affecting my memory cells.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ravengp View Post
    I am an idiot. I owned a 1972 Chevelle. I should have known that.

Sorry folks, pardon my brain fart, must be the desert heat affecting my memory cells.
    lol, no worries, happens to the best of us.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default cents # .03 and .04...

My little insight here, again.
    GM 6.2 and the later 6.5 are not to "big" to put into a Jeep. They are really not much different than their gas siblings. That being said...their performance and reliability and economy are pretty dismal. But honestly this is a fairly easy swap. IMHO, its doable but not "worth it".
    The 4BT...outstanding engine that is currently on all the diesel swap peoples Christmas list. The only problem with that is it means supply and demand drives up the prices. These engines can be found all over the place in some strange uses. From powering Generators and farm equipment to motivating the large Bread trucks and others for delivery. Be careful which one you plunk down money on as the differnt uses can mean different parts (which can be very expensive to change around) that may or may not work for something driven on the street. The 4BT (and its bigger brother the 6BT) are Cummins motors with decent power potential, good fuel economy, and outstanding duribility...Kind of a find a good one, pay a little more, and enjoy it for a very long time.!.
    Try looking on 4btswaps.com for more...good info there. Or Google some other diesel swaps sights...they are growing in popularity as people get clued in...
    Most common complaints for diesels have always been
    -Noisy. Uh...not exactlly a luxury car riding around in my jeep!?!
    -Smokey. Maybe when you "get into it"...but modern diesels are much less so.
    -They vibrate. And? Ever rode around with some mud tires?
    -They smell. Not even gonna answer this...Posh
    I'm sure they are not for everyone. But for me...I'm going diesel whenever the money and stars all line up correctly!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast