1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2.5l<5.2l

Stage One:

What I have now.
    95YJ 2.5 auto,4"sua,1"shackle, 35s bfg mt on ar 767. 8.8 in rear,lsd,disc, eliminated vac disco in dana 30,pass side xj shaft w/3 spares,chromo drivers side w/2spares,locrite,3.73 gears, one ton steer w/tie rod flip, custom front rear bumps w/tire swing,rockers,front tube fenders. warn 8274.

Figuring which heart to transplant in.

With the cost of an entire donor vehicle as to not nickle and dime me with adapters,harnesses and such. I have decided to go with a zj 5.2L. Figure with headers and cold air intake should have numbers around 220hp and 300torque. That is more then sufficient considering I plan on running the 8.8 and hp dana30(chromos) for a while since this project will be most of my jeep budget for the year. Most important I have a line on a 93zj with 110,000 complete for $600(bad front axle)

Wiring: The zj comp and my chasis harness is plug in play except for the fact that not everything is on the same pins. So a little bit of time with a couple manuals and with the help of some of my jeepin friends This should save me the 700 that backwoods offroad wants to change the pins around. Looking at gm and ford swaps this doesnt seem as simple and painless stand alone units are pricey.

Questions regaurding obd1.
    I understand that when things arnt exactly right the obd1 will go into a limp mode. What am going to be able to get rid of? Iam pretty sure if the 93 has abs that shouldnt be a major issue. But what about evap canister and other stuff Imight be able to lean off this motor?
    I plan on using block hugger headers and making a y tube with an o2 sensor like the stock location. CPS and tps sensors are all going in stock locations. What else is needed bare minimum to make her purrr.

Exhaust:

I am on the look out for block hugging headers. Backwoods offroad has some but not stisfied with 475 price tag non coated. Localy I can get ceramic coated for 150. Any help on this if anyone comes across anything would be great. how much differense are the la style headers compared to magnum. Is it something I could fab to work then have coated?
    I am hoping for 2.5 outlets into y tube to 3inch straight exhaust pipe out rear with O2 sensor in stock place after y. My friends that weld will help me save on custom exhaust.

I am kind of placing a priority on the headers since then I will only have to fab exhaust once and save in the long run. And with the right headers I will have more room to move the motor forwrd and back to where I want my rear output from my sye.

Cooling:

Reluctantly I am thinking I have to go to an electric fan. It is recomended to replace radiator because of outputs and inputs are opposite for the hoses. However my friend with the 5.0 found some hoses thst worked and the electric fan gave plenty of clearance for hose routing and he has not had any cooling issues yet. A few bucks spent on testing hoses and temp levels may work and save money on radiator swap or might just be a learning experience.

Tranmission:

Since I have an auto now and fam members drive jp on occasion I am just going to use the zj auto trans and gain an overdrive asw well. I am going to have to fab a floor shifter but since I have donor vehicle something should be able to be fabbed. I am going to continue to run my oversized trans cooler(rv size) In front of radiator. If the vent is in the bellhousing I will relocate to higher point no sweat since I did this to my 4banger after making strawbeery milk shake with it(leason learned)

Transfercase:

My 231J will mount up to the zj trans with no space sucking expensive adapter my tcase is 231 spline becuase its auto. I already have sye and plan on putting junkyard 6planetary and wide chain and sprockets from 231c or 241c. This will handle the torque no problem. Just isnt publisized too much cause of all the money in the tcase buisness They want rediculous money for same upgrades that can be had for under a hundo with some time in the junkyard.

Sorry this is all the time I have to be on the net right now I will continue to add to the process as it moves along. Any and all input neg or poss is greatly appreciated.

I will be posting random thought ideas,reasons for shooting down or maintaning ideas on this thread to help keep my brain organized. So bear with me in this research phase of the swap.
    Last edited by jackhammer; 05-16-2010 at 11:36.

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a good plan
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

obd1 is VERY easy to fool into aftermarket parts and making things come up missing. for things like the abs, the ecm doesnt control that stuff.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Peterson AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds fun
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    I am officially a Huge Steeler's Fan!
    97 ZJ Murdered Out! (SOLD ), 5.5" Clayton L/A's front and rear, 242 swap, HP30 & 8.8 w/ 4.88's & Eaton ELocker's F/R, 35" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar.

Grand Cherokee Owners
    http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...php?groupid=44

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some 318 history. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/318.html

Doesnt get much into efi but still a history lesson.

Trying to find out even tho the head design is different can la style headers work on the magnum

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learned a bit about exhaust tuning from this article tho Im still a bit confused

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...xh/index1.html

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...ecs/index.html

This article gets into how the magnum heads differ from the la style. So I learned about the heads and how they work with the la style block but not the otherway around. Therefor my thought on using la style headers is a bad one since the outlets on the front and back of la style heads are smaller tear shaped compared to the magnum. Using the la headers will restrict flow in the front and back outletson both sides. So as of now for price reasoning I am abandoning headers issue. The backwoods are way too much money. Might be a last minute decision when mounting motor if the truck style shorty headers will fit to go with them.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motor mounts:

My friend ordered bushings then fabbed his own mounts with tubing(bushing went into) and some c channel and 1/4inch plate to spread across the frame wider then standard swap mounts. I would be an ass if I fully relied on him without searching all the options that may simplify the process.

Novak has these

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/e...ts/mmx-wd1.htm

Advance adapters sells these. You can see the bushing I refered to and the limited surface area nthese would weld to frame at. If I can find I will post pics of the mounts fabbed for his 5.0. Way more beef and the use of bushings keep the vibes down

http://advanceadapters.com/product/2278/713095.html

Ok This is where he got the bushing from for the mounts

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Ta...h_3_inches.htm

I will have to see what the clearance is going to be for the right size of the tube and bushing before I can make a decision and next time I see erocks rig I will take a snap shot of his design
    Last edited by jackhammer; 05-16-2010 at 12:55. Reason: added info

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transfer case build up plans.

This is one of the best build up step by step articles. It also details what the 6planetary gear and wide chain look like. I am still searching for the documentation on which chevy tcase hase the 6planetary and wide chain. There is a heavy duty shift fork out there somewhere in a dodge but hard to come by in junkyard.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/up...-231-a-573946/

OK here is somemore on this. Looks like I am gonna be honing my skills in the junkyard so I am just paying for pieces and not whole tcases...lol

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/np231-38011/

They only charged us $13 for the 6planetary out of a 231c for my buddies build
    Last edited by jackhammer; 05-16-2010 at 12:19. Reason: Added info

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backwoods offroad seems to have a handle on this swap however more tj orientated and seriously pricey in my eyes.

http://backwoodsoffroad.com/cgi-bin/...play.cgi?cat=4

Some awesome info here for anyone esp a tj swap

http://www.atomic4x4.com/4x4/1997-tj-5-2l-swap/
    Last edited by jackhammer; 05-16-2010 at 16:22. Reason: added info

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast