Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default one hell of a deal

http://www.promarkoffroad.com/review...9/category/55/

im having a hard time not jumping on this. i know Gorilla winches have been discussed briefly on here before. has anyone heard anything about them recently? the reviews seem pretty good.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not familiar with that brand, but here is another one I came across today that I hadn't heard of either. They have three different series of winches and some of their prices are really good as well. Anyone know anything on these?

http://motoalliance.com/index.cfm/pageid/290
    06 LJ | 4.0L | NSG-370 | D44/D30 w/4.88's | 4.5" RE Superflex lift | 35-12.50-15 Cooper STT's on 15x10 Cragan steelies | RockKrawler X-Factor steering | Shrockworks sliders | DirtWorx bumper/tire carrier | LockRite auto locker | Midland CB w/4 ft Firefly antenna | SOLID rear diff cover | DIY thumb throttle | 750w power inverter | Smittybilt XRC8 winch ...and GROWING

http://wheelersforthewounded.org
    http://www.mississippivalleyjeepers.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

save you money and go warn

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right, gotta save a lot more money for a warn. They are great winches, but there are other brands out there that are good too. If I thought it was going to get regular and repeated use I would buy a Warn. But for what most of us need a winch for, there are other more affordable options out there.
    06 LJ | 4.0L | NSG-370 | D44/D30 w/4.88's | 4.5" RE Superflex lift | 35-12.50-15 Cooper STT's on 15x10 Cragan steelies | RockKrawler X-Factor steering | Shrockworks sliders | DirtWorx bumper/tire carrier | LockRite auto locker | Midland CB w/4 ft Firefly antenna | SOLID rear diff cover | DIY thumb throttle | 750w power inverter | Smittybilt XRC8 winch ...and GROWING

http://wheelersforthewounded.org
    http://www.mississippivalleyjeepers.com

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh i have a warn. i just got it in an email from the company. i was just curious as to if anyone had heard anything about Gorilla recently and passing on what seemed to be a pretty great deal. haha. i have abused the hell outta my warn M8000 and its held up pretty decently. even pulled a good sized tree down with it. haha.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warn 8000 wil do and can be found for just a bit over 500 last time I checked. Key is to avoid shipping if you can find a dealer near you. warn site has a dealer finder thing. I rebuilt a 1974 warn 8274 and dont regret it

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default You get what you pay for...

I have long pondered this particular debate and have come up with this, my own personal opinion based, solution.
    The old adage of "You get what you pay for" does apply to a winch purchase....
    But.
    Here is the flip side of this argument... If you are on a limited buget and can't afford a quality, well tested brand, then get what you can afford and remember it is not the best of the best and use it accordingly. What does that mean? Well, here is how I do things.
    For a trail dedicated rig where lots of pulls or pulls that must NOT fail...I run Warn. An 8274 to be exact. Old technology that has never let me down.
    For a mostly street driven, occasional trail ride, may need a winch for something but not life threatening...I run a MM.
    On my trailer that hauls my Jeeps and various parts or junk form time to time...I have a sad looking little Harbor Freight 3k. And a come-a-long in the box with chains,cables,and straps. SO, if the HF winch dies I can at least accomplish what I set out to do...only slower and with more manual labor involved.
    Can't afford a Warn? Well...duh, who can for all our projects? But I will never belittle someone that has a "cheaper brand" on their rig oppoesed to no winch at all. Unless of course they decided that 22" rims or $10K worth of stereo was more important than a quality recovery/saftey device...then its game on....LOL!