User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to approach a Jeeper about joining your local MJ chapter and trail rides without freaking them out?

JK Wrangler X Unlimited WestTexasJeeper's Avatar

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Fort Bliss
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to approach a Jeeper about joining your local MJ chapter and trail rides without freaking them out?

Geez, I approached a guy today while he was pumping some gas, he listened to my rambling about Military Jeepers i hit the trails with and the website, but i bet he thought i was gonna mug him! Guy probably thought i was nuts (come to think of it, he still had his paper tags on, lol)

Not much success tonight, oh well, back to the drawing board!

Anyone wanna share some of their recruiting success stories or even some of your flops?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2009 Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited (Stone White) with Soft Top
    Rampage Full Mesh Bikini Top
    4 inch Pro Comp Suspension Lift
    Pro Comp Mud Terrains 35's
    Smitybilt Rocker Guards and Tow Hitch
    Smitybilt Off Trail Road Jack
    Vintage Cobra 29 CB (modified to plug and go)
    Wilson 4ft Fiberglass CB Antenna on spring
    Herulined Jeep Tub (Black)
    Garmin Nuvi 1200 GPS
    Off Road stickers

Member of West Texas/ Southern New Mexico Military Jeepers Chapter (est:2010)
    Project-JK.com and Ol'Skool Fan as well

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Working at an auto parts store in a huge military town, I pimp MJ on a daily basis, multiple times a day. Once I find out they're military or veteran and own a Jeep, I mention the website and our local chapter. I've had only one bad experience in that the guy had already heard of us and had run into some of our local members out on the trail and remarked that they were a bunch of conceited a$$holes. I can only guess at who he was talking about. I think I have an easier time trying to recruit because I'm already in conversation with the customer and it's in not so weird a situation as with a total stranger.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ColoFreeJeeper View Post
    Working at an auto parts store in a huge military town, I pimp MJ on a daily basis, multiple times a day. Once I find out they're military or veteran and own a Jeep, I mention the website and our local chapter. I've had only one bad experience in that the guy had already heard of us and had run into some of our local members out on the trail and remarked that they were a bunch of conceited a$$holes. I can only guess at who he was talking about. I think I have an easier time trying to recruit because I'm already in conversation with the customer and it's in not so weird a situation as with a total stranger.
    i do the same thing b/c i work at an autoparts store part time. actually a couple of the members on here i recruited from there. haha.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I talk to folks all the time, whether I am on my own base or TAD/TDY. I have no problem going up and talking to complete strangers. I talked to at least a dozen people on Quantico earlier this spring. Two were already members and the others I never heard from. Honestly, a little conversation and a card is probably the most effective way to do it. I have seen guys dig through their Jeeps to find a scrap piece of paper to right the website address down. One of these days I am going to get some cards printed up.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ha-ha I've pimped it out to two new guys. We're standing up a new squadron here at Scott, so when I newbie comes in, and they see my Jeep pic's at the desk, that usually leads into it. Plus, since coming here I was one of the two people that had modded JK's, so that lead to conversations, note's on my Jeep, and then I pimp it out from there. ha-ha I did shoot and email to our base Command Chief, because he had a really nice Rubicon with bumpers, winch and some other bolt-ons. He thanked me and said he would check it out, but I've yet to see him on here. I'm sort of a Jeep whore of the squadron. Even my First Shirt gives me crap about it. ha-ha I just tell them, "A, it could be worse, I could be that troop dropping all my cash at strip clubs and bars; just can't afford too because I spend it all on the Jeep. Which is the worse poison?" ha-ha Back on subject, I've flagged a few people and talked to them in the parking lots. But, I liek the idea of the Buisness Cards, and leaving them on Jeeps. Maybe I'll just make some up of my own, thats pretty low threat
    2008 JK Unlimited~ 4" Teraflex lift, 35" BFG KM2's, Dynatrac ProRock 44 e-locked, 5.13's, JKS QD's, JKS F&R Trackbars, MM 9500 winch, Rockhard 4x4 Full Skid System, AEV snorkel, SS brakelines,...and it goes on, and on, and on,..

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2009 to Present

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michdave View Post
    A, it could be worse, I could be that troop dropping all my cash at strip clubs and bars;
    well thats just a crew chief. not such a bad thing, is it?

i'm working on recruiting a few new guys. my section superintendent has a jeep and was asking at roll call of any wheeling places in OKC. i think a good flyer would do more work than just word of mouth.
    -We have all put every last dime we have, and every minute of time into this. We have all sacrificed a lot in our lives. Some more than others, some for longer than others.-
    -
    Losers always whine about there best, Winners go home and f#*k the prom queen!
    -Jeep 1: 1998 XJ "Jamie" (sold)
    -Jeep 2: 1997 TJ "Jenna" (stolen)
    -Jeep 3: 1993 Xj "Junker" (sold)
    -Jeep 4: 2003 Tj "Irene"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One time Ryan and I were driving to a M&G and we saw a chick a couple cars up driving a TJ with USCG tags. At the next light, Ryan jumped out and ran up the 5 cars (on US-1) and gave her a card and stickers. Never saw her again. Hahah. Must've been his ugly mug

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was TAD (again) the other day, this time in California, and as I was heading to the parking lot after dinner I saw a really nice Rubi with DoD decals. He parked and I went over and talked for a minute. After a moment of admiring, I recognized his Jeep from JF, AND the fact that I had sent him a PM on JF mentioning MJ to him. He said he remembered the PM but hadn't gotten on here yet. Hopefully we will see him around.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find the easiest way to strike up a conversation is simple to say, "Nice Jeep."

If the owner just nods and looks away, I go about my business. If they are open to conversation, I'll politely talk their ears off. During the conversation, I'll invite them to swing by one of our weekly "Coffee Runs" at the local Dunkin Donuts (we meet every Sat at 10am.. rain or shine). If they show up, we adopt them into the family. Simple.
    1980 CJ5 w/AMC 360, T176, D300 w/4to1, D44s, 3.73s, Lockright/Detroit, 33s, Full Cage

A Jeep-Based Buggy on 42s.. Big Lime

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me and my buddy were at a dining facility, while eating we could hear the conversation over the next table. This kid was rambling about his jeep, anyway my buddy lean over and mention MJ. This kid without skiping a beat said to us "I dont do the Jeep thing or clubs"... Not everyone is club member material....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast