Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MPG Decrease?

I am debating on wether I want to tow my sportbike with me home on leave. The smallest trailer I could get was a 8ft flatbed borrowed from one of my Chaplains. Has small rails on the outside that dont have walls. I figure I will average around 16-19 mpg with my commander 4.7. How much do you think my MPG will drop the bike itself weighs roughly 380lbs trailer not sure of.
    2001-2005 Air Force Medic, 2005-2006 Navy Corpsman, 2007-Present Army Medic/Chaplains Asst.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1982 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably not very much at all, I used to tow a small trailer behind my wrangler on road trips so I would have some room in the jeep. It probably weighed somewhere in the range of 4 to 6 hundred pounds average and I didnt even really know it was there?

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a JK-Unlimited, and I have a Hitch-Hauler that holds one bike. I was very skeptical of thm at first, but I found a used on eon CL and when I went to check it out, the guy was great. We hooked it up, loaded a bike and I was surprised at how stable they are. Just make sure it's not one of the 100 dollar specials from Harbor Freight or Ebay. But, I normally used it for my CRF250 (about 250lbs) and it worked flawless, you didn't even know the bike was there and my mileage never suffered. I know the sport bike probaly weighs in around 400lbs I'm guessing?? I did use it to hual my Supermoto bike, a KTM 560 which was a bit heavier, around 300lb with fuel, and that worked well also. Just an idea I guess down the line.

Here's the brand I have.

http://www.mototote.com/
    2008 JK Unlimited~ 4" Teraflex lift, 35" BFG KM2's, Dynatrac ProRock 44 e-locked, 5.13's, JKS QD's, JKS F&R Trackbars, MM 9500 winch, Rockhard 4x4 Full Skid System, AEV snorkel, SS brakelines,...and it goes on, and on, and on,..

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1999 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats pretty cool. i would be worried about it breaking but i'm sure they've put in the brain work to make sure it's safe.
    WHEN THE FK DID WE GET ICE CREAM???

MINDS ARE LIKE PARACHUTES, JUST B/C YOU LOST YOURS DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN BORROW MINE.
    _______
    /l ,[_____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Indecisive servicemember medicbear's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2001-2005 Air Force Medic, 2005-2006 Navy Corpsman, 2007-Present Army Medic/Chaplains Asst.

Indecisive servicemember medicbear's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by medicbear View Post

Yeah, I think I would steer clear of the Harbor Freight one. I looked at those in person, not exactly well manufatured. I believe they're built in China, crappy materials and crappy welds. Plus, it says it will support "up to" 400lbs. Most sportbike stip the scales a bit more than that with fuel and oil. Thats awfully close to the max weight capacity.

This one (although I know it's sorta pricey) has a payload of 550lbs. Most Class II and III (2inch) hitches are tounge rated (I believe, check yours first) anywhere from 350-600lbs. Make sure to check your's first.

http://www.mototote.com/motorcycle-c...arrier-us.html

Keep you eye's open for used one's. Thats how I got mine, half the price of new.
    2008 JK Unlimited~ 4" Teraflex lift, 35" BFG KM2's, Dynatrac ProRock 44 e-locked, 5.13's, JKS QD's, JKS F&R Trackbars, MM 9500 winch, Rockhard 4x4 Full Skid System, AEV snorkel, SS brakelines,...and it goes on, and on, and on,..

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is me on my pcs from groton ct to florida

i got 15 mpg all the way running 65 the whole way and that was a cheapo $300 trailer and i no issues but i did pack a spare set of bearings and grease an i repacked the bearings half way cause they was getting hot
    Last edited by gearhead1985; 05-20-2010 at 22:42.
    Rocks to a Jeep are like crack to an addict

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    Anything can be fixed with enough redneckery.