2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Dover AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bushing Replacement

Hey I just got a good deal on a slightly used Rusty's 4.5" lift kit, and am looking to replace a few things prior to installing the lift. The only thing I am wanting to replace is the bushings for the leaf springs, both @ the frame end as well as the shackle end as two of them have some give... would rather replace them now while it isn't keeping my vehicle down, and before they cause any issues or noises... I am wondering if anyone has any tricks or ideas on how to press the old bushings out, and press the new ones in, without messing up the springs or the new bushings?? Also was wondering if you guys recommend rubber replacement bushings or polyurethane??? I was just going to cut or burn the old ones, but they have a metal sleeve around them on the outside, so got to get that part out.. The sleeves are found here for those that might no understand what I am talking about with the sleeve... http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...y_Code=LEAFACC

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 1988

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poly or rubber, your choice there........ Poly will last longer, just make sure you lube 'em on install or they'll squeak and drive you bats. Rubber is fine, usually cheaper, flexes better, but won't last as long.
    For removal, if you have access to a press, use it. If not, I usually just drill a bunch of holes in the bushing and push it out. The metal insert piece can be cut with a die grinder and driven out ( be aware, most of the poly replacement bushings require the reuse of the metal insert, so if opting for poly don't destroy them).
    For install, again a press is handy, but you can use a vice, or even a big c-clamp.
    '93 YJ, SOA, 35s, locked front & rear
    '99 Ram tow machine, 5.9 Cummins

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Dover AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks... was kind of my thoughts on how to replace them... Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track before I mess up the new ones... don't care about the old ones so much... Yeah I figured the Poly would last longer, but had heard quite a bit about them squeaking over time... Might just stick with rubber for the time being... Also would you guys recommend me using grease or anything on the outside of the outer metal sleeve so that it won't be metal on metal contact both as I am installing the new bushings and as I drive, or will it be fine to install them dry??
    Last edited by bluedragon436; 05-23-2010 at 15:00.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 1988

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sleeve can go in dry........or a little WD40 will help it slide in a little easier.
    '93 YJ, SOA, 35s, locked front & rear
    '99 Ram tow machine, 5.9 Cummins

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Dover AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool... Thank you again sir... will be looking for a press as I know this will make the process much easier and faster... but all else fails we have a vice at work that I think will be large enough... I would say I could take it to the auto hobby shop on base.... but we don't have one currently as they tore the old one down... and haven't yet built a new one.... and I am hoping to have the lift installed before they decide to open the new one up... only time shall tell I guess!!

I'll try and get some pics up this weekend of the bushings that I am questioning whether I should change or not, just to get the advice from knowledgeable people...

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you do go Poly, get some from a reputable company. I've gone cheap assed on a set and they chunked out and were destroyed within 6 months of light wheeling and daily driving. I tend to stay away from the one from run of the mill parts stores anymore and go with Energy Suspension or the like. Hope it all goes well for you though!

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Dover AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah... Energy is the way to go... I will most likely stick with rubber bushings again... they are cheaper and will work fine for now... maybe down the road when I can replace all the bushings at the same time in the complete suspension I will go poly for everything I can get them for... if it lasts that long!!!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Navydoc8778 View Post
    If you do go Poly, get some from a reputable company. I've gone cheap assed on a set and they chunked out and were destroyed within 6 months of light wheeling and daily driving. I tend to stay away from the one from run of the mill parts stores anymore and go with Energy Suspension or the like. Hope it all goes well for you though!
    X2!!

As far as the new bushings, coat them with Anti-Sieze, it will help them go in easier, and down the road, they'll come out easier!!

On that style bushing (with the metal sleeve outside) a dead blow hammer will also work, but yeah, a press is your best bet.

Even the cheap 'Ball Joint/U-joint press' from Harbor Frieght will work great on those.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"