2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Tires and Wheels

So, Im having a hard time deciding on what to do with my tires and wheels. I definately want to go with a steel wheel but no idea about type or brand...Any suggestions? Also, my tires. I cant decide whether or not I want 33's or 35's, or how wide, or either a 15 or 16. Any ideas, suggestions, or what not to do's? Any input would be appreciated.
    POW/MIA-Col Herbert L. Lunsford, USAF, 25 July 1967, NVN
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." ~Thomas Jefferson
    "In times of peace, sons bury their fathers...In times of war, fathers bury their sons..."
    ~Herodotus of Halicarnassus (575-546 B.C.)

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little more info perhaps. Lift size? What kind of Jeep? What gearing do you have? Maunal or auto tranny? All terrain or Mud terrain?

All terrian - I would suggest the new Wrangler Duratracs. Agressive for an AT, but still not as aggressive as a MT.

Mud Terrain - Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar or BFG KM2s.

As for wheel size, I like the 15s, it seems easier to find tires in a 15 in wheel. My BIL has a WJ steering setup and he can't use 15s, because they will hit the TRE.

I am running a 33x10.50R15 KM2 for now. I like the narrow tire. It stuffs a little better, and less weight. Just my .02

Bobby
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Old Jeeper

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1966 to 1970

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, need more info to recommend tire size. I'd suggest sticking to a brand name though.

As for wheels, I can recommend Black Rock steelies. They are heavy duty, look great, and come with the center hubs. If you do much wheeling, get the shortest valve stems that you can find. I got mine from Gempler's

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a good place to look is http://www.desertrat.com/ good competitive prices, great packages, Call and order and they give a slight military discount. I almost went through them but my stuff was out of stock "signature series" mickey thompsons. but for steel wheels im sure they will have them in stock.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1993 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like american racing steel wheels. I would also suggest checking out Pit Bull tires. I seen some pit bull rockers grip and go up trials that more built jeeps could not handle with KM2 or had to use more thortle.
    07 JK 2 DR Rubicon, RTI Score 673, 32's TereFlex 2.5 lift with shocks ,1 inch M.O.R.E Body Lift, Custom Bumper By Fred and Dave, and Raingler nets & grips , CB CH 4

With out soldier sacrifice America would not be here today. Soldier on Hooah!!!

http://www.wheelersforthewounded.com/index.htm

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...e.php?ref=home

http://campmj.com/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From you profile I see you have a 2008 Wrangler. I'd go with at least 16" rims. For steel rims, look at Craiger D-Windows or soft 8's. They are normally not too inexpensive. American Racing also makes similar steel wheels and their prices are similar. Many people like to run 12.5" wide tires, but 10.5's work nice as well and do tuck under the fender wells easier. Since you have a JK (or at least that's what your profile says), I'd get with the other JK guy's and see what you can fit under it. I'm fairly certain that with something minor, you can fit 35's. Look at what kind of driving/wheeling your going to do and go from there. Will 33's be ok for now, or aggravate you just enough to make you wish you had gotten something bigger? With my YJ I went everywhere I wanted with 33's. I have 35's now, and don't expect to go bigger any time soon since it's also my DD.
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I beleive the 2007 and up JK Wranglers you have to go with a minimum of a 16" wheel to clear the brakes and all the sensors for the stability control, anti-lock system, etc.

But here are some rough guidelines. Side wall width of 8" - 10" is about ideal for a daily driver that also goes off road. Meaning on a 33" tall tire on a 16" rim you will have 8.5" of side wall (8.5"+8.5"=17"+16" wheel=33"). Less side wall and your on street handling may improve, but you will loose flexibility and off road performance. More side wall and you will lose on street handling, it will feel like you are driving on marshmello's but all the side wall flex off road will give you better traction.

Some of the newer off road tires have stiffer side walls, like the BFG KM and Goodyear MTRs with kevlar to over come this and provide better wear and punture resistance off road.

As for wheel width. Stock rims will be 7"-7.5" and are designed for 9"-10.5" wide tires. When you move up to the standard 12.5" wide off road tire the recommendation would be an 8" rim. Now again this is a compromise. a 10" wide rim with a 12.5" wide tire gives you less side wall bulge and better on street handling, but less grip off road. and 8" wide wheel provides good on street handling but also more side wall bulge so when you air down off road you will hold the bead better and the extra flex in the side wall will give you more grip off road.

One of the key measurements when buying wheels is backspacing or off set. This is the measurement of the mounting surface of the wheel to the hub in reference to the center linbe of the wheel. So on a 16"x8" wheel if the bolt holes are in the middle the wheel would have 4" backspacing and 0" off set. So if you mounted a 12.5" wide tire on that wheel. 6.25" of the tire would be on either side of the center line and may rub on some suspension components or the inside od the fender well when you turne the wheel all the way left or right, or when you stuff a wheel while flexing off road. A way around this would be to buy a wheel with less back spacing. An 8" wheel with 3" of back spacing or 1" offset, move the tire out board one inch so now only 5.25" of tire is on the inside and 7.25" of tire would be outboard. This would now be close to what your OEM wheel and tire offered and you should not have rubbing problems.

American Racing offers a large selection of steel wheels with numerous sizes, back spacing, bolt pattern, I think JK's are 5x5.5 and back spacing. Steel rims are heavy and you will lose some on street performance and fuel mileage, but they take a lot of abuse off raod and can be heated and reshaped if you really tear one up.

Hope this helps.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW! Thats a lot of info to take in...HA...It all definately helped and hopefully I will be able to make the right decision the first time and not wish I had gone bigger. Thanks for the input!
    POW/MIA-Col Herbert L. Lunsford, USAF, 25 July 1967, NVN
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." ~Thomas Jefferson
    "In times of peace, sons bury their fathers...In times of war, fathers bury their sons..."
    ~Herodotus of Halicarnassus (575-546 B.C.)