Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Off roading tires.

So i have a 2008 wrangler and my tires are very close to being replaced. My questions is whats a good tread that allows you to go off roading while still being ok for long drives on the highway? and will that kill my gas mileage?

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest looking into the KM2s or Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar. The MT/Rs will probably wear faster, being softer. You may look into th Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. It is an AT, however, it is aggressive. May be a good comprimise.

Any change in tire size will affect gas mileage. MTs can lower it a bit. It depends more on how you drive.

Bobby
    Last edited by Ricky Booby; 06-02-2010 at 12:40.
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 1988

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still hard to beat BFG AT's for very good streetability and good off-road performance. If you need more aggressive, as mp101v mentioned, KM2's have a good rep, although I've never used them. I am a big fan of Goodyear MTR's, been using them for @7 years. IMO, I don't think there's a better mixed-use tire. Work great off-road, not too loud on the highway, and balance up nicely.
    '93 YJ, SOA, 35s, locked front & rear
    '99 Ram tow machine, 5.9 Cummins

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey man, first off, welcome to the forum. be sure to post up in the intro section. now, i have the BFG KM2s. i love em. i ran the BFG A/Ts for a long time and never had a problem with em. they do great off road and have pretty good road manners as well.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the duratrec are nice,very agressive for at,

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Vandenberg AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.goodyeartires.com/cfmx/we...fm?product=354

Duratracs, I'm just waiting on the 35-12.50R15's to hit the streets. They say it has the same sidewalls as the MTR's. I really liked the BFG ATs, but they are limited when it comes to heavy mud, they turn into slicks. The BFG KM2s gets high ratings, but I have never run them. It all depends on what and how you plan on driving them. If it's a daily driver, go with an AT. MTs look cool but suck as a daily driver.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I believe that the BF Goodrich AT/KO's are the best all around tire there is. They wear like iron, are quiet on the street, air them down and they do well in all terrain conditions, except mud as Cali94YJ stated. If you plan on buying the same size as you are running now you should not notice any differance in performance or mileage. I had 35"x12.50 Interco Trxus M/Ts and simply by going to 35"x12.50 BFG AT/KOs I picked up 1.5 mpg on road trips, around town it is only about .5 mpg, but still a plus. One other thing to consider with most off road tires with a M/T or other aggressive thread. Once you start wheeling them and start chewing them up they will get loud and harder to ballance. Also, you need to rotate M/T often to keep them wearing evenly if your Jeep is mostly your daily driver and you only wheel it occasionally.