Served
    2007 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Speed Sensor

Hey fellas,
    So I'm in the middle of PCS'ing to Ft Sill and sure enough, my tags are about to expire. I'm supposed to report this Monday. DMV won't let me renew my tags because I've got a speed sensor code. specifically, P0500. It came on after I installed the sye kit in my NP231. I have a 01 TJ, 4.0L, 35" tires with 3.07s. Right now my speedometer just reads zero and I was hoping this was just because I have the wrong size speedo gear for the size tire I'm running. Unfortunately, I can't find a speedo gear for a gear ratio of 3.07 and 35" tires. Could the speed sensor itself be the problem? Again this happened right after the sye kit was installed. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Thanks guys,
    Nick

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot honestly say, but you could be correct in a bad or poor connection with the SS. Especially since its reading '0'. More often than not they read, but just read wrong.

First thing is to clear the codes:

1) Remove POSITIVE battery cable

2) Take + battery cable and if its long enough or if not use a metal instrument (screwdriver, wrench etc) and assuring a good connection to the positive cable in your hand, TOUCH the + cable to the NEGATIVE cable that is still connected to the battery post. Insure a good connection by tapping the positive to the negative and hold there 15 -20 seconds if fine.

What does this do?: It erases the computers write-to memory and FORCES the computer us use the embedded Jeep tables for ECM control while the write-to tables begin to LEARN (over the next 50 starts/restarts) driving habits, altitude, etc.

3) Connect it all back up and drive

I do this at least ONCE a year,usually twice, for hot and cold weather driving. I will do it again when I travel to higher altitudes such as trips to Moab.

Let us know if this helps

In addition I would pull the SS, inspect for any broken or bare wiring and insure a good seat. I would do this first then the above.
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your speed sensor gear on the output shaft may not be properly seated either.