User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: 350 engine in a yj

  1. #1
    Junior Member coastiejeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    atlantic beach
    Posts
    311

    Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Camp Lejeune
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default 350 engine in a yj

    is this a good idea? and what would i need to modify to get it to work if it is. i have a 4.0 manuel and i can get ahold of the motor real cheap...
    proud member of THE RED SOX NATION since 1999!

    .......

  2. #2
    Administrator korisu56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ft Gordon
    Posts
    11,020

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    PM me if you want my honest to God opinion.

  3. #3
    Junior Member coastiejeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    atlantic beach
    Posts
    311

    Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Camp Lejeune
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i did
    proud member of THE RED SOX NATION since 1999!

    .......

  4. #4
    Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)
    Posts
    10,337

    Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

    Closest Installation

    MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It is a common, and pretty good upgrade. You need to be prepared for other costs that you may not be thinking of right now though.

    New radiator, wiring, compatibility with driveline or upgrades. Can your axles hold the power or do they need to be upgraded? Are you going to replace the tranny or use adapters on the engine/tranny combination? Does the new motor come with the sensors and computer if it is injected? Does the state that you are registered in allow swaps? If so, what are their laws and regulatory guidelines? There are just a lot of things that come into play other than just the cost of the motor.

    I am not trying to talk you out of a mod, just trying to make sure you look at the big picture before you have a new motor sitting in the living room of your apartment as a coffee table.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

    "Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

    Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

    Celer-Silens-Mortalis


    2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

  5. #5
    Administrator korisu56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ft Gordon
    Posts
    11,020

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    PM sent

  6. #6
    Junior Member coastiejeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    atlantic beach
    Posts
    311

    Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Camp Lejeune
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USMCHarleyJeepGuy View Post
    It is a common, and pretty good upgrade. You need to be prepared for other costs that you may not be thinking of right now though.

    New radiator, wiring, compatibility with driveline or upgrades. Can your axles hold the power or do they need to be upgraded? Are you going to replace the tranny or use adapters on the engine/tranny combination? Does the new motor come with the sensors and computer if it is injected? Does the state that you are registered in allow swaps? If so, what are their laws and regulatory guidelines? There are just a lot of things that come into play other than just the cost of the motor.

    I am not trying to talk you out of a mod, just trying to make sure you look at the big picture before you have a new motor sitting in the living room of your apartment as a coffee table.

    you are not talking me out of it at all. i take all suggestions, and helpful tips before i make a big desicion such as this. thank you for all yo uhave said
    proud member of THE RED SOX NATION since 1999!

    .......

  7. #7
    Administrator Truck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Manassas
    Posts
    1,011

    Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

    Closest Installation

    Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    As much as it pains me to say it. Jeff is right. However, if you are contemplating a motor swap and going to be doing some of these changes anyway. Small block chevy is the way to go. Been done a billion times, all kinds of adapters available, parts available anywhere in the country.

    Truck
    Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    Im in no position to. Mine doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by miljeep View Post
    Oh, thanks to Nate who stopped by tonight and helped a struggling old bald man pitch a tent.
    83 Scrambler, bought in 94...starting to rust away..."we can rebuild him" Now in pieces all over the garage
    82 Scrambler, bought in 05, chevy 305/TH350/NP205
    86 CUCV Maintanance truck w/12KW PTO driven generator & air compressor
    83 Scrambler-151/T176/D300...basically stock..possible restoration for DD duties

  8. #8
    Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)
    Posts
    10,337

    Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

    Closest Installation

    MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Truck View Post
    As much as it pains me to say it. Jeff is right. However, if you are contemplating a motor swap and going to be doing some of these changes anyway. Small block chevy is the way to go. Been done a billion times, all kinds of adapters available, parts available anywhere in the country.

    Truck
    Truck is absolutely right...if you do decide to go forward, SBC is DEFINITELY the right way to go for ease of swap and parts availability, and I did fail to mention that in my original post.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

    "Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

    Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

    Celer-Silens-Mortalis


    2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

  9. #9
    The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,377

    Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

    Closest Installation

    Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USMCHarleyJeepGuy View Post
    Truck is absolutely right...if you do decide to go forward, SBC is DEFINITELY the right way to go for ease of swap and parts availability, and I did fail to mention that in my original post.
    What kind of cost $$ wise is there?
    I see a YJ already done with the 350 on Craigslist right now.
    Yeti

    Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/


  10. #10
    Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)
    Posts
    10,337

    Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

    Closest Installation

    MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theyeti1775 View Post
    What kind of cost $$ wise is there?
    I see a YJ already done with the 350 on Craigslist right now.
    Buy it and paint it like a cow!
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

    "Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

    Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

    Celer-Silens-Mortalis


    2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the MJ Supporter Membership for a little less than $0.06 a day and get more space, 2 MJ Stickers and no banners ads. [Check it out]