2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 4th of July sale promark offroad

so i've been really considering getting one of these for a while now. im looking at the 12,000 lb silverback for $500.00. the last couple of times i've asked no one has really heard to much about them. what about now? anyone know anything? the reviews look great. i guess my only real question to you running larger winches is, is 12,000 too big? i mean i love the idea of being able to pull myself plus another jeep up a tree, lol, but what is the effect gonna me on my suspension? also, compared to the warn in the same class, the only real diffferences are the cable thickness, and the gear ratio, the warn being 261:1 and the gorilla being 265:1. oh and the warn is $1000 more.

http://www.promarkoffroad.com/truck-...m_medium=email
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my biggest gripe about big winches are they are painfully slow. if youve ever done a muddy 150' hill youd realize that over driving the winch in 1st gear is a pita. my m12k was that way and if you had to spool out 100' and it took 5 min to reel back in the 80' you didnt use then your sitting and so is everyone behind you.

now on a different note i ran a HS9500 (high speed) and it was dangerous i thought. too fast to really control for any finesse. either on or off.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, im not terribly worried about line speed. if im in a hurry on the trail there's a problem anyway. more about the quality of the winch. no one has heard anything???
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i believe those have perm magnet motors, they work but work slow and just be careful of overheating. the heat kills em fast. I bought the smitty xrc because they switched to a series wound set up got my 8k with synth line for 385 and free shipping thru 4wd
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nope, the ones i was looking at, 10000 and 12000 are series wound.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

never can go too big IMO
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

www.4x4corps.com

www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks like i hesitated too long. 12,000 are sold out. wonder if i can backorder them at that price. lol