2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Electric fan for 4.0

Does anyone here run an electric fan for their 4.0? I have been considering installing a junkyard Taurus fan to free up the HP and torque (and maybe even improve mpg)

But I have also been told by a couple of my buddies who have tried runnning electric that they had constant overheating problems. One ran a Taurus fan, and the other ran a Flexlite with the same results.

I was planning on hardwiring it so that the both fans would turn on and off based on temp, not controlled by switches in the cab.

So any input would be helpful. I would like to try this mod, but not if all I'm going to experience is overheating problems
    06 LJ | 4.0L | NSG-370 | D44/D30 w/4.88's | 4.5" RE Superflex lift | 35-12.50-15 Cooper STT's on 15x10 Cragan steelies | RockKrawler X-Factor steering | Shrockworks sliders | DirtWorx bumper/tire carrier | LockRite auto locker | Midland CB w/4 ft Firefly antenna | SOLID rear diff cover | DIY thumb throttle | 750w power inverter | Smittybilt XRC8 winch ...and GROWING

http://wheelersforthewounded.org
    http://www.mississippivalleyjeepers.com

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1965 to 1969

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Electric fan

I run a flexlite on my 2005 TJLJ. I added a brass tee in the thermo stat housing and added a temp switch set at 190 or 195 from Summit into to the tee. I also added a trans cooler and I have a new oem replacment rad. I have all the rubber peices between the rad and the grill shell to direct the air and a 195 degree thermo stat. She runs at 195 degrees on the road or sitting still at idle. Other then the fan is loud I love it. Maybe one MPG increase in mileage. Good Luck

I am a chapter of one sincitycj's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1989

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've been running Flex a lites on my 4.2 for a few years now and even when the temp outside is 110 it stays running at about 195 or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    went to google to see if I too was a dumb ass!!! Well actually I am.

http://www.sincityrubs.com/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 01 grand had an electric fan, maybe you could look into one of them?
    "If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
    Zig Ziglar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you do it make sure you either get a relay that sets it at certain temp or put a user control switch so you can control when it's on.. ie.. when your crawling
    `89 YJ 33's 4" lift, High-lined front and rear "The Mistress"
    ** NOTE TO SELF** it is illegal to stab stupid people in the eye with a pencil

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm looking to wire it to come on mased on temp. A friend of mine here was an electrician in the AF and a mechanic after getting out. Now he works building crazy fast and complicated computers. (at least they are to me, i don't know squat about computers) If he cant get it done, I'm screwed anyway, right? haha

Thanks for the input....anyone else?
    06 LJ | 4.0L | NSG-370 | D44/D30 w/4.88's | 4.5" RE Superflex lift | 35-12.50-15 Cooper STT's on 15x10 Cragan steelies | RockKrawler X-Factor steering | Shrockworks sliders | DirtWorx bumper/tire carrier | LockRite auto locker | Midland CB w/4 ft Firefly antenna | SOLID rear diff cover | DIY thumb throttle | 750w power inverter | Smittybilt XRC8 winch ...and GROWING

http://wheelersforthewounded.org
    http://www.mississippivalleyjeepers.com

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2009 to Present

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have three 10'' fans that i picked up on ebay for like 30 for 2 and the third for an extra 20. going to wire them up some time this week end. i'll let you know how it works out.
    -We have all put every last dime we have, and every minute of time into this. We have all sacrificed a lot in our lives. Some more than others, some for longer than others.-
    -
    Losers always whine about there best, Winners go home and f#*k the prom queen!
    -Jeep 1: 1998 XJ "Jamie" (sold)
    -Jeep 2: 1997 TJ "Jenna" (stolen)
    -Jeep 3: 1993 Xj "Junker" (sold)
    -Jeep 4: 2003 Tj "Irene"

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went with the lincoln mark ?? electric fan. it is a two spd model and moves 30% more cfm then the tarus model.

Most guys who have issues witht heir fan and over heating either got too small a fan or they jacked up their radiator shrouds and now air flows around they radiator instead of through it.

don't forget a kill switch for water crossngs or you'll be buying a few fan motors g/l on your set up
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you wanting to do this because you currently have an overheating issue?

The TJ/LJ series of Jeeps is exceptional in that it cools the Jeeps very well and especially so if you have a stick trany.

I will say that if you have an issue with overheating, installing an electric fan will not solve it...however something you do enroute most likely will. If your rig is overheating then its because of something has failed in the SYSTEM itself.

First thing I would do on any TJ/LJ that uses the single nut to attach the fan/clutch ('02 - '06) is install the OEM 7 blade fan and clutch.

Here is a link on how to do the install, parts numbers, a tech discussion on Jeep cooling and the Jeep TSB that you can download: http://www.savagesun4x4.com/enter/fa...clutch_in.html

Let me know how this works out for you...
    Last edited by SavageSun4x4; 07-02-2010 at 17:02.
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fans

Im glad i stumbled onto this thread. I was wondering the same thing. I heard it didnt work and on other it worked...sooo...what gives?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast