1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Synthetic Winch Line Protection

Ok, so while wheeling alst weekend, Shorcut told me what he did to help protect his Synthetic line. He went to our Outdoor Rec and got some nylon tubing that he slid over his line. A couple of days later, I went down to the Outdoor Rec, picked up 10' of tubing for $3.00. When I got home, it took more than just sliding the tubing over my 5/8" line so I decided to do a write up for others to follow (again, thanks go out to Shortcut for the suggestion of resplicing my line to get the tubing over).

I started by finding where the original splice ended and marked it with a black marker. I also marked off where the weaves went through the rope so I could put them back inteh same places.

Once it was marked, I began unsplicing the line. The line spliced was spliced into the center with a couple of weaves by the hook end. The weave was tight and I VERRRYYY carefully used some pliers to get it out enough so that I could use my fingers. If you do it like this, make sure you are not tearing up your rope. Once it's started, it's pretty easy.

Notice that the at the end of the rope, there are strands cut out to taper it allowing it to fit in teh center better.

After I got the weaves and end of the rope out, I taped the end to prevent it from fraying and comming undone. It will also help out a whole lot later.

10' of Red Nylon (Went with red because I have a Red Warn RC9.0 Winch)

The ends of the nylon weren't melted and one end began to fray before I even used it. I decided to use a deep well socket to help with this.

I placed the tapered end of the socket inside of the nylon webbing and used a lighter to melt the ends down to help keep them from fraying. I didn't melt it too much because I didn't want the nylong to get hard, sharp and plasic like. I felt that may wear out the rope sooner making cuts in it.

Now with my taped off end, which had a nice point on the end, I began running the rope through the nylon. It took a whole lot of bunching the tubing, slide it on, bunch, slide it on, etc, etc, etc. I think you get the idea.

After all was said and done, this is what the tubing looked like on the rope.

Now it was time to go back to the begining of the rope and resplice it.
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so not onto the resplicing of the rope. First you need a needle, guide, something to tape to the end of the rope that can be used to pull the rope through itself. I used a very highspeed tool called a wire coat hanger. I looped the end that was going to go through the rope so that it wouldn't get caught up anywere or cut the inside of the rope.

Back to the marks I made where the weave was, I stuck my finger through the rope making a hole and ran the line through lead by the coat hanger.

After the first weave was in and tight, squick the rope together to get the center good and open. I ran the coat hanger in at the second mark I had, and down pulling it out by the last mark I made.

Make sure that the end is run all the way out and remove all the tape and coat hanger. Then just grab the rope up by the weaves, and pull it back towards the drum till it's tight. The rope will once again cover the end.

Finished product. The very end isn't covered right now because the tube wouldn't fit over the fat end of the rope. i'm going to get some additional tubing that's 2" and try to get that covered a little bit more.

All in all, I'm happy with the results, and can't beat the price. It will help protect my rope, and the rest of the rope on the drum when wound up. there is only a little bit at the hook end that is still exposed, but I'll fix that soon.
    Sven

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only thing I have against this is the fact that you can not see the rope for a quick inspection before use. unless you can slide the nylon down out of the way.

Looks like you have gone thru a bit of dirt and mud with the winch on. I would suggest uncoiling your synth line and using a mild detergent in warm water, clean that rope. then let it dry. the dirt in your rope will actually cut the line. The rope in the pictures looked a bit frayed( tiny fuzzy lines all over) this is what happens to a dirty rope.
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rope looked like this when I got the winch (which was on the jeep). I agree that I need to wash it, and yes it is frayed slightly. I don't know what the original color was, but as you can see from the pics, the whole rope is this dirty color. I'll upgrade it when I get some extra coin. I've winched my jeep with it and haven't had any problems, or seen any signs of problems with it.

The webbing that I put on can slide down the length of the rope too. Not fee to the point where it just slides by itself the length of the rope, but I can move it to look at the line if needed. I'm still planning on getting a larger diameter piece that moves more freely.
    Sven

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2000

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work, good write-up. I bought 10 yards of 1" tubular nylon tubing off ebay and used 3 each 10' pieces which are big enough to slide easily over the rope so I can place the nylon chafe protection where I need it.

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just unspooled and slid the nylon over from the end that bolts to the spool rather than unslice the eye.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My rope was too big to do that, that was why I had to unsplice the line. It's good though, now I know how to unsplice the line if it breaks on the trail.
    Sven

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being a syn line guy almost from the time they have been around of the quality you would trust I think this was a great idea and excellent posting.

As for the inability to inspect the rope itself due to the outer covering I would say that is a mute point. Syn by its nature only suffers from exposure and the sleeve solves this issue. Any damage from either sun/UV exposure or abrasion first has to damage the outer sleeve then the inner rope.

Synthetic Rope: There are bad ropes, good and great with great companies behind them. I endorse and recommend Master-Pull www.masterpull.com I have used their products for years and they truly fall into the 'great' product and great support. Their products are the best, hands down. The Super-line comes with (tip 'o hat to this thread' with an outer sleeve on the entire length of rope. No one build a stronger and superior rope product. About every other year I have sent my rope back to MP and requested they inspect, repair and replace the rope if need be. I sent my rope out on Mon and the check it out, make fixes and ship it back to me by Friday of the same week and have NEVER charged me a dime. That is company service and assures me of a safe rope.

The rope is now heading towards 10 years old and has been hanging exposed on the front of now my second Warn winch. It has taken an incredible beating over the years pulling out various Jeeps that have encountered difficulties along the trail. In one instance I was required to extract a Jeep from Pritchett Canyon in Moab. The Jeep has rolled on its side and I had an extreme pull of about 75 yards before we could get the Jeep upright. This completely destroyed the Jeep and the entire tub and sheet metal had to be replaced. But even this was not comparable the the 'River of No Return' where I had to extract myself and another rig out of a rain swollen, raging river: http://www.savagesun4x4.com/enter/of...no_return.html

Protecting the outside of your rope as outlined in this thread or using a rope with an organic sleeve such as Master Pull is a wise move and will add many, many years to its life and your safety...
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanx for your insight.
    Sven