1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jeeps new guaranteed gas price deal

Just saw an ad. Buy or lease a new Jeep vehicle and they will guarantee that you pay 2.99 a gallon for gas for the next 3 years, up to 12,000 miles worth each year.

So, although it may sound good, here is my quick math.

12,000 miles per year. Say the new Jeep gets 20 MPG, that means that it would take 600 gallons of gas to drive the 12,000 miles. If gas is at 3.99 a gallon, you save a buck a gallon which only equals 600 bucks in savings a year. Better than nothing, but not as good as it sounded when I first heard it. If gas prices drop to 3.79, you save $474 in gas.

=========================================
    INTRODUCING THE NEW $2.99 GUARANTEE.

As fuel prices continue to rise, the Let's Refuel America Program helps providing stability to the cost of fuel with a simple solution - locking in the price of unleaded or diesel fuel at $2.99/gallon for three years.

Program participants use a special card linked to their MasterCard or Visa credit card account. The card may be used to purchase enough fuel at $2.99 per gallon to travel up to12,000 miles per year in each of the next 3 years. So no matter what the price at the pump says, you'll never have to pay more than $2.99 per gallon for qualifying fuel.

To qualify, you must purchase or lease an eligible Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep® vehicle from May 7 through July 7, 2008 and have a valid MasterCard or Visa credit card.

These are challenging times. Fortunately, the Let's Refuel America Program is doing what it can to help.

Here's how it works:

1. Buy or lease a qualifying 2008 or 2009 Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep® vehicle.
    2. Select the MasterCard or Visa credit card to use for the program.
    3. Receive a Let's Refuel America card that you will use to buy gas.* Each year for the next three years, you will receive an allocation of gallons to use.
    4. Fill up. In each of the next 3 years, when buying fuel with that card, your credit card will never be charged more than $2.99/gallon for qualifying puchases – regardless of the price at the pump.
    5. It's our way of helping to refuel America.
    Your Let's Refuel America Card is valid at approximately 97% of all gas stations in the US. *Allow 6 weeks for activation

=======================

After reading the fine print, I found this:

MODEL ELIGIBILITY:

Eligible vehicles must be delivered during the program start and end dates indicated.
    Eligible Models:
    All new, unused 2008 & 2009 MY Chrysler, Jeep, and Dodge vehicles listed in the “Let’s Refuel America Eligibility and Bonus Cash Chart” below are eligible for this Let’s Refuel America incentive offer:
    Note: All SRT models, Sprinter, Viper, Crossfire, Wrangler, Wrangler Unlimited, Ram Chassis Cab, and Challenger models are ineligible to participate in this program.
    Last edited by miljeep; 05-30-2008 at 12:58.

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds a lot better than the reality of the deal and that is what they are counting on...that most consumers won't do the math. Now factor in increases in insurance for the newer vehicle, the increase in "cost" of the vehicle (especially if you already own your current vehicle free and clear), etc...and it seems like the value of the "saved" money just drops like a rock.

Just my $0.02 worth...
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2001 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not worth it, but it will get people in the door. That's all they care about.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah and note the fine print... Not usable on Wrangler or Wrangler Unlimited models!!!
    '97 2dr XJ (mine)
    '96 ZJ (hers)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically, all the models that are selling fine without incentives are not eligible.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USMCHarleyJeepGuy View Post
    It sounds a lot better than the reality of the deal and that is what they are counting on...that most consumers won't do the math. Now factor in increases in insurance for the newer vehicle, the increase in "cost" of the vehicle (especially if you already own your current vehicle free and clear), etc...and it seems like the value of the "saved" money just drops like a rock.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Exactly. As much as I would love to have a brand new Jeep sitting in my driveway, I would rather not have a monthly payment and higher insurance.
    "I rather be a rightwing nutjob than a left wing liberal with no nuts and no job"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vajeeper View Post
    Exactly. As much as I would love to have a brand new Jeep sitting in my driveway, I would rather not have a monthly payment and higher insurance.
    X2! I wheeled an '07 JK in Moab (rental w/4'' lift and 33'' tires) It was sweet! I'd love one, except for the ^^^insurance and payment thing.

Trying to sell the pick up and buy a '99-'00 XJ to build up.
    (yes, I'm gonna join the 'square eyes' grocery gettin' team)

But I'm keeping the CJ! No replacement for vintage Iron!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2000

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, it all adds up. I would have never bought a new one but my 85 CJ7 project stalled due to the honey do list and the better half finally talked me into to buying an 08, as she said, we are not getting any younger so you may as well enjoy it.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 1999

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wnet through that we bought a 09 dodge journey. and they gave us the option. either the gas card or a 1000$ rebate we took the rebate. and I got 30 mi/gal driving to Chicago a couple of weeks ago.
    04 tj, 2" rusty lift, lod rear tire swing and bumper custom front bumper w/ aircraft landing lights and 32" cooper discovery stt

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2005

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happens if, aka a pipe dream, gas drops below 2.99? Are you locked in to pay more for gas than anyone else?
    81 CJ7, 30 over 258, did the Weber thing now I'm going with a Howell injection kit, 2.5 lift, SRS, and the all important M998 instrument panel with Equus gages. Also have a 71 AMC 360 to rebuild when I kill the 258.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast