Served
    Served
    1970 to 1976

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dunlop Mud Rover Tire

Has anyone ever used this tire beside me? I purchased 5 of these just before last winter. Two days ago driving home from work, I started to get a shimmy in front end. Slow up, shimmy slacks off, speed up, shimmy returns. Upon getting home, I figured I had an out of balance tire up front. Pulled left front, took it to a tire shop and had them balance it. Tire would not balance, they kept adding weight as the machine indicated. I took that tire home, and installed spare on front, and using out of balance for spare. Test drove Jeep, had same problem, but not as bad. Took that tire off, back to shop for balance. They had to add quite a bit of weight to almost get it to balance. This time, they checked tire, and told me it appeared to be out-of-round. Well, Phooey!! I've contacted Dunlop for any help with this. I still have sales slip. I've rotated these tires once. Here is a link to a tire review fellow that had same problem> http://www.4x4wire.com/reviews/dunlop/ 7th paragraph is where he states> After a few thousand miles on the Mud Rovers, we started to experience vibration from the tires at freeway speeds. We brought the tires back in for balancing, and they took from 2-6 oz. of weight to balance, a noticeable increase in balancing weight since the original balancing. The balancing took away some of the vibration, but not all of it. We continued to have vibration issues, and eventually traced this to out-of-round tires. We inspected the steel wheels; they were true. The two worst tires were a quarter of an inch out of round. They told us that this was very unusual, apologized for the inconvenience, and immediately shipped replacement tires right out. I was just wondering if anybody had used these tires before, or knew anyone that did. Before buying them, I checked some reviews on the internet, but didn't see the one about them getting out-of-round. My luck, Huh, Ha,,,

Machete wielding woodsman 94GC52's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a set of 31's on my wifes rodeo for a while, The only issue i noticed was the started to loose the outer edge pretty quick due to wear, but nothing like what you describe.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1970 to 1976

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These were 31's also. 31x10.50x15 I liked them. Any tire can fail, I know that. Most of the reviews are from folks that liked them also. Perhaps Dunlop had a bad batch, or run of tires, who knows. Guess I'll find out.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have these, and that would explain the vibs that I get on the highway. It don't bug me that bad, and I just chalk it up to being 33" mud tires. I think that I will just deal with it because I don't have money to replace them right now.

I am a chapter of one sincitycj's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1989

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When I was managing an auto center for Sears, we used to sell a ton of the Dunlop Mud Rovers. We had very few issues with those and most people were happy with them. Tire manufacturers all have issues from time to time and putting out a bad batch does happen. Dunlop was quite good, at that time, in taking care of the customer. There may be some hoops to jump thru to get then replaced, so be prepared. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    went to google to see if I too was a dumb ass!!! Well actually I am.

http://www.sincityrubs.com/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sincitycj View Post
    When I was managing an auto center for Sears, we used to sell a ton of the Dunlop Mud Rovers. We had very few issues with those and most people were happy with them. Tire manufacturers all have issues from time to time and putting out a bad batch does happen. Dunlop was quite good, at that time, in taking care of the customer. There may be some hoops to jump thru to get then replaced, so be prepared. Good luck and keep us posted.

Ditto. I worked in the Auto Shop at a Sears changing tires and the Dunlop Mud Tires were very popular. We had a few issues with them at times (bad batch?) but Dunlop immediately did a free replacement and customers were pleased with them.

Let us know what happens with yours.
    "I rather be a rightwing nutjob than a left wing liberal with no nuts and no job"