User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Poly Performance vs. Full-Traction

  1. #1
    Newbie US Army Firefighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fort Drum
    Posts
    29

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Army Poly Performance vs. Full-Traction

    I want to put a lift on my 2010 Unlimited Rubicon and am looking at either the 4.5" Poly Performance Synergy stage 3 or the Full-Traction 4" Ultimate kit with rubber bushings. I know Poly's kits come with OEM rubber bushings already and Full-Traction I heard you can request those. There is not much info or reviews on Poly Performance but the little amount that I have heard has been all good. The only issues I have heard from Full-Traction is they have issues with squeaking. I want to go with the rubber bushings any ways so that takes care of that. What do you guys think ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Millington
    Posts
    1,342

    Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2010

    Closest Installation

    Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    why rubber i have never had a problem with poly bushings use lots of grease and they have never squeeked on me i have yet to install either kit or seen them used so i can't comment on that
    Rocks to a Jeep are like crack to an addict

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    Anything can be fixed with enough redneckery.

  3. #3
    Newbie US Army Firefighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fort Drum
    Posts
    29

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead1985 View Post
    why rubber i have never had a problem with poly bushings use lots of grease and they have never squeeked on me i have yet to install either kit or seen them used so i can't comment on that

    I'm sure the bonded rubber bushings would hold up for a long time, that's what they use on the factory Rubicons and is pretty much maintenance free. Some one told me the the squeaking comes from the polyurethane bushings going dry. Keep them greased and they shouldn’t squeak. Unfortunately, you do have to do this often. The factory bushing are bonded rubber so this is why they do not need maintenance and do not squeak. The rubber bushings also twist as opposed to rotate. Having said that, you can still get a lot of flex out of them. How often to you grease your bushings? That's not supposed to be a perverted question, haha!

  4. #4
    Senior Member SavageSun4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    17 Oaks Ranch, Boerne, Texas
    Posts
    2,373

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I need to make this short as I am heading out to San Antonio in a matter of min...

    I work on a lot of JK's and talk with a lot of guys that have modded them. Here is my take:

    The JK wheels so well that few mods are needed to take it to another level.

    GREAT OEM control arms, leave them on there...don't be misled by those trying to sell 'long arm kits' JK does NOT need it...ESPECIALLY true if you are going to use this as a DD and not a trails only rig.

    Rubber Vs Poly: I first have to say, 'WHY poly?' I know of few if any advantages it offers to anyone but the 'pro's' and even then I question the use of them in rock crawling. OEM rubber outperforms poly hands down in all but a few uses. I use them at shock ends in most applications.

    Springs: Hands down its AEV don't waste your $ anywhere else. http://www.aev-conversions.com/ I use them in my TJ/JK builds

    Shocks: Ranchso RS 9000XL http://4wheelonline.com/Rancho_RS9000XL_Shocks.338.1358

    Buy 4 @ $84 and get a $100 debit card from Rancho. These folks also offer free shipping.

    Also get the Rancho 5401 Steering Stabilizer. See pic for a comparo between a HD Rancho steering stablizer and their real HD model



    Anyhow I expand on any of the above and add much more. Bottom line is I do not care for 'kits'. You can build a better performing TJ/JK using individual components and do it at a cheaper price.

    I have nothing against PolyP or Full T, good outfits both. PolyP is a bit high priced...

    I have some other recommendation, but 3 dogs and a wife are chomping at the bits to get rolling this am.

    Here is a build I just finished. http://www.savagesun4x4expeditions.c...ead.php?t=2101 This client came to me after spending mega bucks without mega results. I made a few changes and tweaks without throwing everything out.

    Note the steering stabilizer upgrade of the HD one. The track bar brace and the rear shock skids... Also note the lower control arms that had to be rebuilt after less than 10k miles...stay with rubber, he wishes he did. http://www.savagesun4x4expeditions.c...ead.php?t=2155

    I will be back in about a week or 10 days...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SavageSun4x4; 07-07-2010 at 13:00.
    Don

    '15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

    www.savagesun4x4.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Millington
    Posts
    1,342

    Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2010

    Closest Installation

    Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by US Army Firefighter View Post
    I'm sure the bonded rubber bushings would hold up for a long time, that's what they use on the factory Rubicons and is pretty much maintenance free. Some one told me the the squeaking comes from the polyurethane bushings going dry. Keep them greased and they shouldn’t squeak. Unfortunately, you do have to do this often. The factory bushing are bonded rubber so this is why they do not need maintenance and do not squeak. The rubber bushings also twist as opposed to rotate. Having said that, you can still get a lot of flex out of them. How often to you grease your bushings? That's not supposed to be a perverted question, haha!

    i grease them once every month or so i use greasable bolts so it is easy and i use white lithium grease so it last forever
    Rocks to a Jeep are like crack to an addict

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    Anything can be fixed with enough redneckery.

  6. #6
    Newbie US Army Firefighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fort Drum
    Posts
    29

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Army

    Quote Originally Posted by SavageSun4x4 View Post
    I need to make this short as I am heading out to San Antonio in a matter of min...

    I work on a lot of JK's and talk with a lot of guys that have modded them. Here is my take:

    The JK wheels so well that few mods are needed to take it to another level.

    GREAT OEM control arms, leave them on there...don't be misled by those trying to sell 'long arm kits' JK does NOT need it...ESPECIALLY true if you are going to use this as a DD and not a trails only rig.

    Rubber Vs Poly: I first have to say, 'WHY poly?' I know of few if any advantages it offers to anyone but the 'pro's' and even then I question the use of them in rock crawling. OEM rubber outperforms poly hands down in all but a few uses. I use them at shock ends in most applications.

    Springs: Hands down its AEV don't waste your $ anywhere else. http://www.aev-conversions.com/ I use them in my TJ/JK builds

    Shocks: Ranchso RS 9000XL http://4wheelonline.com/Rancho_RS9000XL_Shocks.338.1358

    Buy 4 @ $84 and get a $100 debit card from Rancho. These folks also offer free shipping.

    Also get the Rancho 5401 Steering Stabilizer. See pic for a comparo between a HD Rancho steering stablizer and their real HD model



    Anyhow I expand on any of the above and add much more. Bottom line is I do not care for 'kits'. You can build a better performing TJ/JK using individual components and do it at a cheaper price.

    I have nothing against PolyP or Full T, good outfits both. PolyP is a bit high priced...

    I have some other recommendation, but 3 dogs and a wife are chomping at the bits to get rolling this am.

    Here is a build I just finished. http://www.savagesun4x4expeditions.c...ead.php?t=2101 This client came to me after spending mega bucks without mega results. I made a few changes and tweaks without throwing everything out.

    Note the steering stabilizer upgrade of the HD one. The track bar brace and the rear shock skids... Also note the lower control arms that had to be rebuilt after less than 10k miles...stay with rubber, he wishes he did. http://www.savagesun4x4expeditions.c...ead.php?t=2155

    I will be back in about a week or 10 days...
    So I checked out the AEV web site. I liked their design and the components they use. I was looking at the 4.5" premium kit. Also I was reading some of the comments in the AEV forum about replacing the driveshafts with auto transmission ( cause that's what I have) due to the diameter. Some say they don't have issues and some say they do have issues? Also a couple of people mentioned they had to to some trimming around the rear due to the outer part of the rear tires rubbing?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Schweinfurt
    Posts
    53

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2009 to Present

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would not buy from Full Traction for any reason other than there poor customer service and horrendous shipping times. It took 2 months for the lift kit to get to me. When it did arrive, it was missing hardware. The rear track bar relocation bracket was missing. I call up FT, dudes like, "Oh yeah, we've been shipping them without the bracket to get them out the door. Ill send you one." Never got it. At this point I dont care about the bracket b/c its meant to work with a transfer case drop. Im not the only person who has experienced poor service. Go to rubiconownersforum.com and type full traction and youll see. I regret purchasing the kit from them. I wish I had researched their track record for customer service before deciding to buy their product. Good luck to ya with the build!

  8. #8
    Newbie US Army Firefighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fort Drum
    Posts
    29

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Army

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelinfool73 View Post
    I would not buy from Full Traction for any reason other than there poor customer service and horrendous shipping times. It took 2 months for the lift kit to get to me. When it did arrive, it was missing hardware. The rear track bar relocation bracket was missing. I call up FT, dudes like, "Oh yeah, we've been shipping them without the bracket to get them out the door. Ill send you one." Never got it. At this point I dont care about the bracket b/c its meant to work with a transfer case drop. Im not the only person who has experienced poor service. Go to rubiconownersforum.com and type full traction and youll see. I regret purchasing the kit from them. I wish I had researched their track record for customer service before deciding to buy their product. Good luck to ya with the build!

    Thanks for sharing your experience. That helps shed some light to my decision. I think I have my mind set on the AEV Nth Degree 4.5" Premium system. I haven't heard of to many negative things about them mostly all good. Thanks again for the reply.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the MJ Supporter Membership for a little less than $0.06 a day and get more space, 2 MJ Stickers and no banners ads. [Check it out]