Served
    Served
    1985 to 1920

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USMC Heat Fix for the Floor pan!

I have the rubber floors in my JK and they get hot! This is fast cheap and easy!
    Quick Roof is about $20.00 a roll & you can get it at Home Depo. It will stop the heat and deaden the sound too! Yes this is made to fix your homes roof! One roll will do the drivers and passengers floor.

Pull your carpet, Than clean your floor very good with Simple green than hit it it with some rubbing alcohol.

Next just cut the piece you need and lay it out. Than pull the back paper off and roll it off a little at a time. make sure it is where you need it it will not come off or move once it is on the metal. Work it in the crack and lines of the floor with your finger till the strip is done.

And repeat till your done!

Then put your floor or carpet or mats back in!

Drove for a wile today and it seems to work good!
    07 JKU. See my mods & Jeep in action @ http://www.aaof.us/jeep.htm
    CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
    http://www.blacksheep4x4s.org
    https://www.facebook.com/blacksheep4x4sorg
    Member of CCJ. White Jeep club Member #137,

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a pretty good idea. I wonder if I could have done that before lining the inside of my tub to keep the heat down.

She-Jeeping Jarhead LeafspringMARINE's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont understand how this is going to stop the heat?? The heat may take a few extra seconds or minutes to absorb through another layer, but I dont see it making any large improvements. Plus its made for LEAKS, doesnt say anything about insulation capability. Looks like thicker duct tape to me. I once used a roll of some insulation type stuff - it was made to put in car doors and trunks to deaden stereo vibrations - It was like an insulation batting on one side and a reflective paper on the other. I put it on my floor under my carpet (when I had carpet). Floor boards still ran hot as #*$%, my skin just didnt melt off on contact anymore.
    Meghan - MY KID CAN PICK OFF YOUR HONORS STUDENT AT A CLICK AND A HALF !
    • Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
      Ronald Reagan

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some liner products like ours have a chemical reaction causing heat when curing, I'm sure our stuff would cause the adhesive on the tape to fail. Had it happen with nonskid tape on our camper step, tape started to curl up as the liner cured PITA.
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NOT to steal anyone's thunder, but to just add to the thread.

While I cannot validate this solution to the heat problem having never used it. It does appear as tho it will help at least. Living in FL is not very hot, but I can offer up some additional solutions that do work to some extent.

I live in Scottsdale AZ and we KNOW hot. I run my Jeep sans carpet and here is what I did to reduce the heat. This is a 'Lo-Buck' fix.

1) Wal Mart has some cheap windshield sun blockers. Made from metalized and quilted plastic. Under $10 bucks, cut to fit, slide in attach with duct tape and some dabs of silicone and bingo, floor is cooler:

2) Another culprit in the creeping heat is the console. In fact that is one of the key places that heat seeps up thru the floor. Home Dept, can 'o NON expanding insulating foam, less than $10 bucks. Remove console, fill with foam, trim excess and have your cold drink STAY cold and the interior stay cooler.

1-2 pics and writeups: http://www.savagesun4x4.com/enter/fa...oorboards.html

2) While you are at it. Out here the 'SavageSun' is not stopped by an OEM top on your Jeep. Like I said, we know hot. Grab about 2 yards of thick mil camo in your choice of patterns and stop by your old friend Wal Mart and grab another windshield sun blocker and add you your 'cage' if you have one in your Jeep. REALLY keeps the heat from soaking thru and baking your brains. pics writeup: http://www.savagesun4x4.com/enter/fa...er_for_tj.html
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1920

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took a 40 mile trip one way the other day it was 96 deg out side and it did stop a lot of the heat! My wife even noticed a big reduction in the heat and reduction of road noise from the front floor pans! So as far as it gose it works!! The first 2 day had a bit of tar smell in the jeep but it went away was the only draw back I found so far!
    07 JKU. See my mods & Jeep in action @ http://www.aaof.us/jeep.htm
    CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
    http://www.blacksheep4x4s.org
    https://www.facebook.com/blacksheep4x4sorg
    Member of CCJ. White Jeep club Member #137,

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used very similar stuff on an 89 Blazer. Did the entire interior. Sounded much better and I didn't use nearrly as much a/c in the SoCal summers. It is a bear to do everything, but it is definately worth the effort.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Now or then...

Which leads me to the question previously asked...
    If you were to use this stuff, would you use spray in bed liner before or after installing the insulation? Before would ensure that the floors would never rust due to water sneaking inbetween the floor board and the insulation stuff
    After would keep happy feet from destroying the insulation...
    Anyone have any good arguments either way?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdreamer View Post
    Which leads me to the question previously asked...
    If you were to use this stuff, would you use spray in bed liner before or after installing the insulation? Before would ensure that the floors would never rust due to water sneaking inbetween the floor board and the insulation stuff
    After would keep happy feet from destroying the insulation...
    Anyone have any good arguments either way?
    Not impossible, but not likely to work unless well considered. Spray in bed liner is tough stuff and it derives a lot of its integrity from its attachment to a structurally sound surface. So this begs the question: What type of insulation would you use between the tub and the spray on? Whatever it is would have to have some integrity to be able to adhere to the tub and to allow the spray on to adhere to it.

I considered this when I had the tub on my TJ Line X'd. I was not able to find anything that I thought would work for the long term. I will tell you that the Line X offers some degree of insulation, but not much.

I provided a link in my post above on how I approached it and it works...

I just used cheap windshield sun blocker from Wal Mart for about $8 bucks or so. Its reflective and is quilted to provide insulation. I put in under the tub, over the trans and over the cat-converter. Its been under my Jeep here in the Sonoran desert for going on 5 years now and has yet to melt or peel away and makes a big BIG difference. Want to REALLY impact the heat inside the cab...then pull your console and with a can of spray foam insulation. I describe what I did in the link. Keep the cab MUCH cooler and make the console cup holders useful for something other than keeping your drinks warm.
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just posted a thread about this exact thing. didn't use 'quick roof' but an equivalent that the home depot here had. worked like a charm!
    '06 unlimited
    l _____
    /l ,,,,[____],
    l-----L ()lllllll()-
    ()_)---()_)-o--)_)