User Tag List

Thread: CJ Warn hubs - convert bolts to studs - why?

New Here

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1974 to 1978

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CJ Warn hubs - convert bolts to studs - why?

I recall an article promoting changing the bolts that hold the two halves of the Warn hub together on CJs to studs. IIRC the reason was the bolts loosen. If that's the case, why not just add lockwashers to the bolts? Or what's the reason / advantage for studs?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJ View Post
    I recall an article promoting changing the bolts that hold the two halves of the Warn hub together on CJs to studs. IIRC the reason was the bolts loosen. If that's the case, why not just add lockwashers to the bolts? Or what's the reason / advantage for studs?
    They can loosen up, and being aluminum, regular lock washers tear up the lock out.

If you're lucky, and have the factory 2 piece lock washers still, they usually hold good. The factory uses 2 lock washers, that bite against each other, keeping the hub bolts from loosening up.

By using studs, and nylock nuts, it keeps them from coming loose.

You need to install the studs into the cleaned holes of the hub with red loctite, then use the nylock nuts to hold the lockouts on.

I still have the factory bolts in my CJ, and the factory lock washers on one side. That side stays pretty good, but the other side loosens up after a while in 4WD.

I just eyeball them whenever I lock the hubs in, and tighten them as needed. (driving with the hubs unlocked, the bolts don't loosen up)

Just part of PMCS for me

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

New Here

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1974 to 1978

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That explains everything. The '76 I'm rebuilding ground-up doesn't have any kind of washer under the bolt heads, so studs and nylocks it is. Thanks for the help!