Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default pinion angle

I've got a new lift on and I know the rear drive shaft angle has to be correct, but do you need to set up the pinion angle on the front drive shaft to.
    -05 Wrangler X 4.0L 6 speed-
    -Mods-
    |6in RC Long Arm| |35in mickey thomsons| |6in genright flares| |Smittybuilt XRC10| |CB ch-19|

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same thing goes for the front as the rear.... the difference is you have greater length up front, so it's a bit more forgiving if the pinion is off a bit. Get your rear set and then see if you have vibes coming from the front.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when you do it dont make it 0*, theres a science to it. atleast with a TJ you dont have to worry bout axle wrap.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    Same thing goes for the front as the rear.... the difference is you have greater length up front, so it's a bit more forgiving if the pinion is off a bit. Get your rear set and then see if you have vibes coming from the front.
    This is true unless you have an Unlimited (at least the 04-06) My rear DS is much longer than my front. I know this isn't the case in TJ's though, an don't know about other Jeeps for certain.
    06 LJ | 4.0L | NSG-370 | D44/D30 w/4.88's | 4.5" RE Superflex lift | 35-12.50-15 Cooper STT's on 15x10 Cragan steelies | RockKrawler X-Factor steering | Shrockworks sliders | DirtWorx bumper/tire carrier | LockRite auto locker | Midland CB w/4 ft Firefly antenna | SOLID rear diff cover | DIY thumb throttle | 750w power inverter | Smittybilt XRC8 winch ...and GROWING

http://wheelersforthewounded.org
    http://www.mississippivalleyjeepers.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here you go, shoot me a note or post here if you need some help:

"Setting the Rear Pinion angle on your Jeep to remove acceleration and deceleration vibrations.

Tools required:
    Wheel chocks, 4
    Straight edge
    Angle meter
    Small jack (OEM Jeep jack is fine) w/wood block about 4x4 6" long

1) With your rig in street position (wheels on the ground, transmission in neutral, DS attached, emergency brake OFF, FRONT wheels chocked in FRONT, REAR wheels chocked in the REAR)

2) Using a small screw or hydraulic jack and a wood block (I use a piece of 4x4 about 6 in long), place the jack under the pinion nose using the wood block. The jack adjustment handle should be facing towards the front of the jeep..."

full writeup: http://www.savagesun4x4.com/enter/te...ion_angle.html

Front pinion is MORE important than CASTER, always remember that...but its very forgiving due to the length of the DS.
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SavageSun4x4 View Post
    Front pinion is MORE important than CASTER, always remember that...but its very forgiving due to the length of the DS.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    dont you have this backwards? if the caster is all jacked then the wheel wont return to center properly, can have issues with ackerman angle, things like that.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you just need to mess around with front pinion/caster until you find a happy medium. When my front pinion was at 0*, I was at about 3* for caster. Wandered all over the road and had horrible bump steer. Now my front pinion is about 2.5-3* down and the caster is somewhere between 5-6*. Drives straight down the road, minimal bump steer an no driveline vibes.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 91YEEPER View Post
    dont you have this backwards? if the caster is all jacked then the wheel wont return to center properly, can have issues with ackerman angle, things like that.
    No I don't it backwards. That statement is a direct lift right out of the Jeep FSM. While I too paused to think on it this is my conclusion as to the statement by Jeep engineering: In comparing caster and pinion angle the latitude of adjustment is held by in caster. Depending upon lift and tire size caster can fall anywhere between 3 and 8 degrees. Pinion angle on the other hand has little latitude. The rear pinion-drive-shaft angle needs to set at 1.5 - 2.5 degrees. Slightly too high or too low and you will have vibes. Want to get rid of them you need to hit your angle just about dead on the money.

I would say the reason is that the pinion angle is really a metal to metal contact patch whereas the caster has LOTS of rubber between the pavement and the suspension. Thus changes are better absorbed along with road vibrations.

Its my guess that for the aforementioned reasons priority is given to the pinion setting in order to keep DS vibes out and then to adjust the caster for driving, wheel return etc.
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com