User Tag List

Thread: Stranded in CJ7, Need Help ASAP!

I drive a "Real" Jeep :D

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2008 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stranded in CJ7, Need Help ASAP!

I'll keep it short and sweet. Drove Jeep for several miles, shut off engine, started right up when we went to leave. Dropped friends off at home, filled radiator (it was empty), and I went to leave friends house after dropping them off, tried to start it, solenoid making buzzing noise. No start. Friends live on busy road, gravel driveway, can't push start, starter no worky, friends are sleeping now (have to work at 5am), I'm on my own trying to find a way to start Jeep and get it home.

If anyone can help me diagnose and test right now, call me. My cell phone number is
    Fife1Seven Niner1Eight 9Six8Tree. (I don't know if that will stop my number from being added to computer-generated call lists or not, but I'm desperate lol)

So far, I've tried jumping the wires on the solenoid, all I'm getting is a spark at the wires, no noise from the starter. I think my starter may have gone bad.
    Last edited by 93formulalt1; 08-02-2010 at 00:13.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think your batt may not have enough juice to start it. Jump it or you need to try a push start somehow. what does your volt guage say when the ignition it in run position and what happens to the needle when you attempt to start?
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7
    7,000 mi and counting on the TBI 258
    DUI, Np435, Twin Sticked D300, Locked Waggy D44s
    4" SUA with homebrew spring outboard
    37" siped swampers with some other nifty bolt-ons.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You must not be stranded anymore, I sent you a text a couple minutes ago.
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2008 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CutterN55 View Post
    I think your batt may not have enough juice to start it. Jump it or you need to try a push start somehow. what does your volt guage say when the ignition it in run position and what happens to the needle when you attempt to start?
    Volt gauge reads normal, I had a multimeter in the Jeep, so I checked the voltage at the terminals on the battery as well as checked for voltage drop across the cable from the battery to the solenoid. No significant voltage drop across the cable, and the battery was registering 12.6 volts and 1.5 amps, which is normal for the battery, especially considering how many times I've tried (unsuccessfully) to start the vehicle.

I woke my friend up and had him give me a ride home, I'll take the motorcycle over there tomorrow, pull the starter, and take it to work to test it. If it needs a new starter, I'm going to go ahead and replace the solenoid as well, I know how failure-prone those things are.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2008 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just for reference, I'm sure it's the starter or solenoid that's bad, because the solenoid is getting a full 12.6 volts, no voltage drop across the battery cable, and the starter isn't making any noises at all. It's not engaging the flywheel. I was afraid that maybe the engine seized from the sudden addition of cool water into the bone-dry cooling system, but I don't think that did anything to it really.

If it did, I'm putting a V8 in this thing. I'm already getting horrible gas mileage, might as well have some torque to show for it! lol

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to hear you had a meter in the bag. I'm curious to know how you obtained that amp reading? To get an accurate amp reading, you need to do a load test. That means you need to create an open in the circuit, and plug in your meter across the open (in series with the battery and the starter), then attempt a start while watching the meter. I don't recommend you hold the leads when doing this. secure them on something with a piece of wire for you safety, or use leads with "alligator clips". A bad battery can read the proper amount of voltage, but fail a load test. Just something to try and keep in the bank. Very well could be your starter, but I don't like paying for things and having to take them back to the store. I like to be sure when I call a part bad. Before you pull the starter tomorrow, buzz that baby with a known good battery and see what happens.

Sorry bout you being stranded and all. good luck tomorrow.
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2008 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CutterN55 View Post
    Good to hear you had a meter in the bag. I'm curious to know how you obtained that amp reading? To get an accurate amp reading, you need to do a load test. That means you need to create an open in the circuit, and plug in your meter across the open (in series with the battery and the starter), then attempt a start while watching the meter. I don't recommend you hold the leads when doing this. secure them on something with a piece of wire for you safety, or use leads with "alligator clips". A bad battery can read the proper amount of voltage, but fail a load test. Just something to try and keep in the bank. Very well could be your starter, but I don't like paying for things and having to take them back to the store. I like to be sure when I call a part bad. Before you pull the starter tomorrow, buzz that baby with a known good battery and see what happens.

Sorry bout you being stranded and all. good luck tomorrow.
    I work at the auto parts store now. . . lol I'm off Mon, Tues, and Wed, so I have plenty of time to work on the Jeep, I was supposed to go camping with a friend for a few days, and it looks like I'm going to have to take the Firebird or the GSXR, but I have to get the Jeep home before I can leave.

I'm going to test the starter before I buy a new one, I'm not a fan of buying something I don't need either. I'm going to test the solenoid as well. The battery is fine, I'm absolutely positive of it, but just for shits and giggles, I'll grab the Optima out of the Monte Carlo and take that over first thing in the AM to try it out.

The Jeep was running like a top the whole time we were out driving. I drove it from my house to a friends house, stayed there a while, picked his wife up from work in it, stayed a few more minutes, started it up and went to my other friend's house (where the Jeep is currently), picked him and his fiancee up, went cruising around town for a while, stopped and got ice cream, stayed there for probably 20-30 minutes, got in the Jeep, started it, and went back to my friend's house. It was fine until I topped off the radiator with water, not that the two occurrences are related or anything, but they did happen one right after the other. Worst case scenario, I seized the motor. I'll pull it, pull the tub, repair any rust on the frame and front end, replace the tub, paint/undercoat/bedline everything so it looks like a frickin' brand new Jeep, then throw something crazy under the hood, like a 6.5 Liter Turbo Diesel out of a GMC school bus or something. I do have a 350SBC/700R4 in my Dad's old rotted out '93 Silverado stepside 2WD, but I won't give up my manual trans for the R4, I have too much fun driving the Jeep as it is. Not to mention, I'd still like to get 10-12mpg, rather than the 4 I'd get with the SBC (lol j/k), plus the added expenses of rebuilding, new exhaust, wiring it all up, buying a trans and t-case, etc.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2008 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replaced the solenoid, started right up. I had a friend (who is a professional fabricator) take a look at the Heep to see what it would take to repair the rusted frame. . . This frame is toast. I would have to have the entire back half of the frame rebuilt just to get rid of the cracked section of frame. I'm now looking for a new frame, new tub, and a job that pays enough to buy them both. The body is SHOT on this thing, I didn't think the frame was that bad, but it's destroyed from in front of the front shackles on the rear springs all the way to the back of the frame, cracked in half on the bottom. What have I gotten myself into. . .

It's going to be a LONG time before this Heep is safe to drive again. I'm thinking of selling it and looking for one that has less rust damage.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you just need to junk it or do a part out and get what you can out of it. If you sell it to someone with out telling them about the frame, you will never sleep good again.
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2008 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by airforce26yrs View Post
    Sounds like you just need to junk it or do a part out and get what you can out of it. If you sell it to someone with out telling them about the frame, you will never sleep good again.
    If I were to sell it, it would be for parts only. I'm thinking about starting to tear it down, and scrapping the frame and tub. I should get a couple hundred out of the tub and frame, that would help pay for replacements.

I found a tub and frame from a '79 CJ7 "Golden Eagle" that have been in storage since '82, not a spot of rust on either, they would be perfect for what I'm trying to do, he's only asking $900, and we're talking about a possible partial trade for some tools I have in the garage that I'll never use (Power Post frame puller, for example). If we're able to work something out, I may make leaps and bounds towards restoring this thing/building a new one. I would be doing everything necessary to prevent rust from forming, including priming the frame inside and out, POR-15 on the frame, bedliner inside the tub, undercoating the bottom of the tub, cleaning and painting the axles and suspension parts, replacing anything that looks like it may be falling victim to rust, etc. I know how to restore a vehicle, I've done it a couple times before, so this one will definitely be done right.

For an idea, this is a project I have going on in the garage right now. . .