1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Steering question

Over the weekend I installed a 3.5 rough country lift, so now I have about 4.5ish inches of lift 1.25 lift shackles, 3.5 springs. (used so probably around 3inches)

took the track bar(s) out, took the sway bar off. I'm not so concered about body roll as I'm not driving a sports car around turns. However what does concern me is after the lift the steering is loose (sloppy). I inspected the TRE's and they are in good order, what else could it be?

I read a write up on how to tighten the steering by adjusting the steering box. Anyone have any experience with doing this and is it worth doing? I didn't install a drop pitman arm the geomentry looks pretty good. I also installed a new HD steeriing stablizer.

any thoughts?
    thanks
    `89 YJ 33's 4" lift, High-lined front and rear "The Mistress"
    ** NOTE TO SELF** it is illegal to stab stupid people in the eye with a pencil

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1968 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Eustis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You NEED that track bar!
    '86 CJ7, 265 CI, TF999, Weber 38, DUI, Borlas, 4"BDS.
    '04 TJ Sahara - Lot's of stuff pending!
    '00 TJ Sahara (Chick Jeep - wife's)!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep i would say you are "wondering" around down the road like you have low air in tires or messed up steering. Trackbar centers your tub over the axle. I bet your tub is going left while the axle is trying to go right and so on down the road.
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 1988

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Chet View Post
    You NEED that track bar!
    If he's running the '89 in his profile, no, he does not.
    If the Jeep sees any street time, I do recommend keeping the sway bar......get or make a set of disconnects for off-roading.
    Those long shackles will also change the caster angle, giving that twitchy, wandering feeling.
    If there is play in the steering box, yes, it can be adjusted, and yes, it's worth doing, however, if it's a large amount of slop you may not be able to adjust it out.
    You should also inspect all the steering joints for play.....TRE's, the ends on the drag link, ball joints.
    Also, worn spring bushings can contribute to the problem (obviously, if the lift kit is new you won't worry about this).
    '93 YJ, SOA, 35s, locked front & rear
    '99 Ram tow machine, 5.9 Cummins

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes `89 so leaf sprung

I'll do the steering box adjustment.

as far as the track bar goes, it's my understanding that a track bar keeps the axle in place and stops movement from left to right, on a leaf sprung axle this shouldn't be a problem as the leaves keep the axle in place. I've asked several times on different boards about the track bars, and 99% of the time the answer was it's not needed on a leaf sprung rig. As far as a lot of road time, well as it stands now, I drive about 50miles a day to and from work, however in about 30 days I'll be moving to Fort Drum and hopefully I'll get on post housing and the most I'll drive daily will be in the 10 mile range.

the springs are used, and I didn't replace the bushings. so it's quite possible that the bushings are worn. The guy I bought them from said he had them on his YJ for about a year.

it's not a dangerous slop just a noticable difference from the stock leaves, and they had the orginial bushings in them. I'm guessing that there is play in the steering box that was there before but due to the lower ride height it was unnoticable. I've had the longer shackles for a while now.

oh, I didn't say this before but I am running 33's with this lift combo. I don't want to go up to 35's just yet I'd rather wait until I can upgrade the axles. Although with the set up I'm running (4"lift, high-line front and rear) I could easily run 36's with no rubbing. I'll post flex pics later.

thanks for the imput

p.s.
    there's no death wobble or vibrations, the steering is just (seems to me) looser than before I lifted it.
    Last edited by Grevus; 08-02-2010 at 15:29. Reason: forgot to add something..

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Chet View Post
    You NEED that track bar!
    no you dont, not on a YJ. all they do is cause bind.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grevus View Post
    there's no death wobble or vibrations, the steering is just (seems to me) looser than before I lifted it.
    id bet that steering setup has bad bump steer. have you hit any sort of good sized bumps at speed? does your steering wheel move back and forth with bumps?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 91YEEPER View Post
    id bet that steering setup has bad bump steer. have you hit any sort of good sized bumps at speed? does your steering wheel move back and forth with bumps?
    yea actually it does, always has just thought it was one of her quirks how do you adjust bump steer?

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grevus View Post
    yea actually it does, always has just thought it was one of her quirks how do you adjust bump steer?
    drop pitman arm, i think i have a brand new one if you need one. or a highsteer setup. this is the proper way to fix it. this is the MORE mountain off road enterprises steering kit. great kit for the money.

20051031173908_DSCN0609.JPG

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bumpsteer typically comes from the draglink and trackbar not being parallel, BUT with a YJ it can come from the draglink being at too steep of an angle. instead of the steering moving with the suspension in a flat angle the steep angle of the draglink causes the steering to push and pull.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast