1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Issues after wheeling

Here is my problem. I did a little bit of wheeling last week and bent the crap out of my sway bar and quick disconnects. I also noticed that when I go to put gas in the jeep now the fuel pump shuts off every few seconds.

As far as the sway bar goes, I removed the quick disconnects and zip tied the sway bar up. It drove home on the highway just fine, so I'm thinking about removing it completely and just running without one. My concern is, is this safe?

And for the problem with getting gas in the jeep, I'm assuming I tweaked the fuel neck. It's a big pain in the ass to refuel now. Is there something I can do to try and straightin the fuel neck or do I need to have it replaced? The jeep has a 1" body lift and I didn't have any problems until now.

Thanks

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of jeep are you working with? This will help us pinpoint issues and fixes.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2004 Rubicon

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea you need the sway bar. it doesn't seem like it does much going down the road straight, but wait till your on an on ramp and some asshat merges into ya and you have to slam on the brakes and suddenly find urself with only 1 wheel touching the pavement. you will wish for the sway bar then.
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

For when 5mph is too fast

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without a sway bar you will greatly increase body roll and with the high center or gravity you are gonna be quick to roll it over when the little girl chasing a ball into the street runs out. On top of that im sure if an insurance company comes to investigate and see its sway bar less they might not wanna cover being it is a saftey feature and key component.

The fuel neck is just plastic i assume i would try letting the gas tank down a little bit and then tightening it back up. It sounds like the tank shifted a little bit im not 100% positive but on the xj i worked on there is two hoses right there and the second is somwhat of a breather and if they are tweaked there might be a bad vacuum to your pump working against it.

clean it up and just start going through the fuel lines and see whats up

hope i could help at least a little

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a possibility that you have fuel backed up into the cap above the neck. This can happen if you over fill the jeep with fuel like when you're trying to squeeze ever bit you can get in. It may be that you need to remove the gas cap and allow the fuel trapped above the neck to evaporate out. I would consider this if and when you determine that the neck isn't tweaked. God Luck
    85 CJ7 4.0 head Mopar MPFI 4.5'' suspension 1'' body lift 35 BFG 4:56 and Detriot lockers F&R 1 peice rear axel

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to insult your intelligence, but have you tried a different gas station? I have an 06 Rubicon and have the opposite problem, the fuel pump doesn't shut off in time. I tried different places and it still happened, so I figured out if I barely squeeze the handle it doesn't overflow anymore. Every once in a while I'll find a pump that shuts off every few seconds, it's super annoying. Usually, if I wiggle the handle and try different angles, I'll get it to work.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Rubitron, I have the same issue with my wife's '06 Unlimited, I have taken to running the nozzle on the slowest setting and that works most of the time, at least I can catch it when I hear it starting to gurgle...my '02 is just the opposite, I also have a 1" body lift on it, but even before the body lift, when the nozzle kicks off saying the tank is full it will take another 2+ gallons if I want to sit there and pump it in.

MUDBURD and another thing to look for is did something get up and squish the neck from the hole into the tank. As already stated it is just plastic and a rock or stick can get up there and cause deform it causing gas to back up...

I also agree that the sway bar is critical if you drive your Jeep on the street. Normal driving you will be fine, but that first time you need to perform an emergency manuever you will learn that your Jeep has a mind of its own.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for the inputs. Still having some issues with getting fuel in, but my last trick seemed to work ok. I will be reposting to get feedback on which sway bar kit to go with.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SGM O View Post
    I also agree that the sway bar is critical if you drive your Jeep on the street. Normal driving you will be fine, but that first time you need to perform an emergency maneuver you will learn that your Jeep has a mind of its own.
    "I also agree that the sway bar is critical if you drive your Jeep on the street. Normal driving you will be fine, but that first time you need to perform an emergency maneuver you will learn that your Jeep has a mind of its own."
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com