2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool 89 Waggy...super slow budget build

I bought this waggy in San Diego in 2007 bone stock with 80K original miles on the clock. Went off on a MEU and came back 8 months later, took two weeks of leave and started my build.

First order of business was to get the madness of vacuum lines and hoses in the engine bay under control. So I ripped out all the emissions systems. EGR, A.I.R., charcoal can, CTO's all that good stuff. The only vacuum hoses under the hood are:
    -source for the vacuum advance on the distributor coming off the carb
    -Source for the brake booster
    -Source for the vacuum ball for the heater door operation & vacuum switch that controls Transfer case 4WD selection.
    -PCV into the carb.

A lot of the stuff was eliminated by switching to a NON EGR Edelbrock Performer intake manifold and a 1406 Edelbrock 4 barrel carb.
    I also installed Edelbrock shorty headers (non AIR), and did custom 2 1/2" to 3" single exhaust with a 40 series FlowMaster muffler also eliminating the heat riser.

I bought and installed a BJ's Offroad 6" all spring lift kit with a Drop pitman arm, longer stainless steel brake lines and new adjustable Rancho 9000X shocks. I pulled the track bars and sway bar (will be installed later with disco's).

I also found the wheels I wanted. Going for the 80's 4WD look, I installed 15x10 polished steel wagon wheels (bought from Discount) and 33x12.5 BFG M/T's (bought from Costco)

Then I wheeled the crap out of it for a while and I've been DD'ing it all the while and fixing little crap here and there.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Couple of things I've been dinkin around with here lately...

Needed a motor...old one was about to give up the ghost due to shitty maintenace by the PO, so I bought a parts truck with a newish motor in it.

Fresh 20K mile shortblock out of my parts rig (bought from Thisguyuknow)...body sold to another guy I know from IFSJA

Axles from the parts rig went on Gearhead1985's YJ. SOA on 'Yota springs. I did some of the SOA welding as a trade for all the help with the motor swap.

Adam was still workin on the YJ... (it's gettin close now)

Got the new motor put together and stuck in...just buttoning it up in the pic (this was a few months ago.)

Workin on the front spring reversal for a front wheel base stretch and better approach angle. I cut the front fenders a little too. I'm still not done with the fenders. Gus my 2 year old Lab thinks he needs to help with everything.

Front spring reversal finished. I decided to put the shackles back in front due to steering issues and caster problems/pinion angle. I didn't want to mess with dropping the front mounts. Getting ready to dive into the tranny that is pukin fluid everywhere as you can see.

The YJ D44 swap/SOA is done as well. lookin good.

Got the tranny sealed up (front pump seal and pan)...no pics of all that for the moment. I was bustin butt to get it done. Started Saturday at noon, and finished Sunday at 1630, driving on Monday morning. Gearhead1985 showed up to help again... Thanks dude!

Once I got the tranny in, I got my drive shaft installed to work with the front spring reversal. Used a junkyard XJ shaft and cut it down 1 1/2" at the plug and burned it back together (notched the tube, filled the notches with weld and butt-welded the crap out of it) If I break it I'll do a square tube shaft. I got it within 1/32nd by eye ball when I tacked it. good enough for me...getting hubs anyway. Not bad for only using the tools you see in the picture plus a tape measure. I drove it with the hubs locked...no vibes.

Also threw all new U joints in. Pulling apart and putting together the Cardan-joint was a bitch. Did them all with a 2lb hammer and a brass punch.

Scored some free lock-outs from a guy who was hocking a 10 bolt. Now I don't need that front shaft balanced...woo-hoo!

I have a brand new pig-nose grill (off an 83 Wag) I may black-out and throw on.
    I'm also gonna build the bumpers here pretty soon....I have some good ideas.
    It's gonna get some new paint here soon...
    That's what I've been up to and where I'm at now... it never ends.

Let me know what you think.

-------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by CutterN55; 10-26-2010 at 13:57.
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7
    7,000 mi and counting on the TBI 258
    DUI, Np435, Twin Sticked D300, Locked Waggy D44s
    4" SUA with homebrew spring outboard
    37" siped swampers with some other nifty bolt-ons.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All in all VERY nice work!!

What did you do to the engine (if you posted earlier I missed it)?

I had to look twice at the fender pics to 'see' the trimmed area, again nice work. Are you going to keep the 'woody side panels', or remove and paint the whole FSJ green?

Later, T.J.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Waggy progress...slow and steady

JavaTee-
    The new short block was a 20K mile motor. One of the PO blew up the old block and had a new one put in. The jeep had some fuel delivery problems and they sold it cheap. I picked it up and pulled the motor out and stripped it all down. Didn't have to do anything to the bottom end it's all brand new. I did some work on the heads, valves seat and seals, machined them down a little. Switched all my aftermarket parts over from the old motor. Shorty Headers, 600cfm Edelbrock carb, Performer intake, Emissions delete, new fuel pump. I'm not sure, but it may have a mild cam in it. Seems a little lopey.

As for paint, I may de-wood it. To do the paint the right way, I'd have to pull it off anyway and wood kits are expensive. There is a slight indent that runs the length of the Jeep and I may paint a stripe in it like the older wags used to have.

I'm glad you like it.

This is a good picture that shows the fenders before the trim and the wheelbase before the spring reversal.

This is the after pic, same as the one in the previous post. Notice how far forward the front tires moved in relation to the bumper. My stock drive shaft was about 2" short even at max slip. The front fenders were only about 1/2" from the tires so they had to go.
    Last edited by CutterN55; 08-14-2010 at 13:54.
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what I've got for exhaust. Custom Y-pipe 2 1/2" to 3" single with a Flowmaster and dumped. It's all tucked up nice and high so I won't smash it again. Most of what you see is Florida dirt on the pipes, not rust. There's some pretty stainless underthere.

Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    2004 to 2008

Closest Installation

Wright-Patterson AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking of collecting my duals into a single and going with a cherry bomb vortex..... But I'm still debating. Mine has true duels with glass packs on it at the moment and to my suprise it isn't loud at all.

Nice build thread and good luck

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking good!

And you're right, it never ends!

Today my dad asked me: "When are you going to be finished with your rigs?"

(I've been working on the CJ and the XJ all spring and summer!)

" I want to get the CJ2A in the shop, and your crap is always in there!"

So, it never ends......once mine are out, the old mans is going in!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well after the motor went in things have been all good but the tranny. After resealing it, it's decided to puke fluid again and it's starting to slip on the shift during hard acceleration. usually when I'm in 3rd and punch it it will skip 2nd and go to 1st and wind up scary high RPM's. I've done a fluid flush and filter change. Bands seem to be good to go. I hate Chrysler trannies. the 727 is bullet proof when it works, but when it doens't it's a real pain in the butt.

So...I'm gonna do a manual swap.

I found an NP435/205 combo for cheap here local. It's Ford, so drivers side drop. It is also very comparable to the Jeep T-18a (wide ratio) with a 6.68:1 first gear. I can throw a doubler on the 205 later for monster crawl ratio. The manual will give WAy better low end ( more tq in 4Hi than stock in 4Lo), and a lot better highway cruise RPM's. The final drive ratio without any other mods will be 53:1 in 1st gear/4Lo Final drive in 4Hi 1st gear will be 27:1.

Here's the one I'm gonna go look at. I told my wife I wanted a trans for my birthday... I have no idea how the gears are inside and what kind of abuse it's taken. I'm just gonna snag it and hang on to it and collect my parts real slow like and save my lunch money for parts.

Tranny and T-case together for $150. Worst case scenario if it doesn't work out, I can always resell it.
    Attached Thumbnails

I'm really hoping this works out. Another member is gonna be hooking it up with the T-176 bell housing and shift/pedal linkage to make this almost a bolt in. I'll have to mod the crossmember and make a mount, as well as come up with a couple little odds and ends here and there.

This may not go down for a while as I am DD'ing my FSJ and am active duty and going to school at night. At least I can work on the Tranny/T-case and have it ready for install when the 727 blows up.
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Destroyed my front driveshaft.
    Had it TIG welded this time...We'll see if it holds up.

Installed newer style window motor system. Got rid of the plastic flex-tracks that kept breaking and installed new metal ones that work like a big long flexible screw.
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the NP435 and 205. picked them up this afternoon. Will start cleaning them up this weekend
    Last edited by CutterN55; 02-08-2011 at 19:09.
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought a Yukon Spool for the rear 44 3.73 and down ($109) and Master install kit ($120). Bye-Bye trac-lok! Now I need to learn to do gears...wish me luck!

Still waiting on parts for my NP435/205 swap.
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast