Served
    Served
    1985 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Compressor discussion

I'm looking for compressor suggestions for my uncle's TJ. He wants to be able to air-up after riding in the sand at the beach, but he doesn't want to spend an hour waiting for his stock tires to inflate. He's not gonna be running any air tools with it. Can anyone recommend any hard-mounted compressor for such a purpose? Also, can anyone offer any install tips or mounting suggestions.

Thanks
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly screaming -- "WOW! What a Ride!""

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all depends how much he want to spend on the OBA set up. The cheapest route and some what easy to go is electric compressor like Viair, their dual com set up have enough flow to run tools. Your other option A/C compressor, Sanden(stock) or York. Out the two the sanden one is the cheapest if your rig was equiped with A/C if not you will have to find the brackets for it. Now the York compressor(210R) is the monster and to get it to work you either have to fabricate or buy a bracket kit like Kilby's. Either eng com route you decide there is plenty of write ups on the web, mainly Obiwan or Stu are the best I seen. What Engine/year is your uncles TJ?

Hiding in plain sight jeepfever's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His TJ is an unmolested, stock '97. I found it for him last month on Craigslist. Garage kept, no scratches, dents, or rust, and it only has 34,000 miles (interesting story there). It has the 4.0 with automatic transmission - which is what he wanted. At 63 years old, it's his first Jeep. It took me MONTHS to find this Jeep, and it is definitely the Jeep he was looking for! He looked at all of the compressors in the Quadratec catalog, so he is expecting to pay $350-ish. The Jeep has a working A/C, and he's not wanting to do any major fabricating or get rid it to get something like a york.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly screaming -- "WOW! What a Ride!""

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why doesn't he just get a CO2 tank? Cheaper, no major mods and he can easily pull it out if he does not want to have it in there. The only thing he may need is some kind of mount?

$139
    http://eastsidecustomtruck.com/i-613...ank-20-lb.html

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A CO2 tank will prolly be a good option for him and what he wants to do. It will be especially beneficial if he doesn't do a lot of airing down. I have a Viair 450C Constant Duty system and I love it. It doesn't take long to fill up my tires. I think it's around 2-3 minutes per tire to fill from 18psi to 40psi. I did a write up here. It was a problem for me to install the way I wanted because I tried to install it the way I wanted, and didn't have enough fittings. If you install all the pieces in close proximity, it isn't as bad. I got the system for $400 with tax because it was on sale. If you look at the systems, they will have some kind of tire rating with them. Like most things, this is one of those that the more coin you throw down, the better the system is. I know that you said hard mounted, but there are a lot of people that use portable systems they can leave in their jeeps with good results.
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO a Viair 300 by it self is all he needs. Since inflatomg tires is all he want it for, he don't need the tank and such. And if Je don't have ABS, the plate under the master cylimde is a perfect spot to hard mount it....
    Last edited by JoeySnow70; 08-15-2010 at 12:28. Reason: ad

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I agree with JoeySnow but will add that he look at the new ARB compressor as well, either will mount on the right front fender under the hood...if he wants a little more speed, get the Viar hot dog tank that can be mounted to a frame rail underneath. Adding any sort of tank will air up tires faster. One last point, it is a stock '97 TJ, so what are we talking about, at most 30"x9.50"x15" tires that he is taking down to 20 psi? Almost any compressor will air those up fairly fast.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SGM O View Post
    Almost any compressor will air those up fairly fast.
    Yep.

Another inexpensive route, is to buy a small 2 gallon 110V compressor, and a 400 watt inverter.

I had a whopping $65 into my OBA!! ($40 for the compressor on sale, and $25 for the inverter)

I hard mounted mine on the rear fenderwell. It fills up my 33x12.5's from 10 to 34 PSI in under 10 minutes.

Also easy to swap between rigs or remove if necassary.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Joeysnow and SGM O said is right on, depends a lot on tire size. As far as the tank, it can be full and once I start to fill the first tire the pump will run during the other three. Until I'm done, the tank never gets much over 40 lbs.
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Hiding in plain sight jeepfever's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is all great info. Thanks for the replies.

Trailsnail, that Rubi is awesome!