2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bent/Broken TJ Control Arm Mount

After conducting a trip to Blanca Peak trail this weekend, I determined that I bent my passenger side forward lower control arm bracket. The outboard weld on the bracket is also partially broken loose from the axle tube. The axle tube does not appear to be bent. I also bent my engine oil pan skid plate, but that should be an easy fix on a hydraulic press when time permits.

I do not anticipate the control arm mount being too serious of a repair, but I am currently soliciting advice on exactly what course I should take to have it repaired. It appears that the mount could probably be straightened and re-used. I am doubtful, however, that this would be the correct action to take. It would be great to be able to install some reinforcement on all of the lower control arm mounts while I am into this repair. Since I do not have the necessary welding skills or equipment to perform this task, I will be looking for someone local in the Colorado Springs area that is both willing and able to perform the repair. Thanks in advance for any advice, shared previous experience with this problem. or other information that will help to resolve the issue.
    "Mankind has a perfect record in aviation safety if you consider we have never left one up there"

2001 TJ 4" lift, 35" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's, HP D30/D44 with 4.88's, ARBs and chromolys, AA SYE, TW rear driveshaft, too much other junk to list here...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I located these brackets on the Poly Performance website...

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...et-p-1991.html

Found these on the Blue Torch Fab Website

http://bluetorchfab.com/store/produc...products_id=23

I am still looking for some insight/advice on the matter, but I will probably get someone local to the Springs area to weld on a set of these brackets and put hopefully reinforce them a bit to keep this from happening again...

EDIT: The Blue Torch brackets are on order. Should arrive Friday. Going to meet up with a friend tomorrow to assess the welding job that will be required.
    Last edited by txapacheguy; 08-16-2010 at 19:47.
    "Mankind has a perfect record in aviation safety if you consider we have never left one up there"

2001 TJ 4" lift, 35" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's, HP D30/D44 with 4.88's, ARBs and chromolys, AA SYE, TW rear driveshaft, too much other junk to list here...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1975 to 1978

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use H&H. Heat and Hammer. works fine.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiff View Post
    Use H&H. Heat and Hammer. works fine.
    Thought about it... If I was 18 years old and did not have the cash to shell out for the repair, or something to get me to work for a day or two while the rig was down, I would probably just hammer/pry it back straight and roll with it. Besides, the outboard weld is already partially broken, and I really do not want the control arm coming completely loose next time. (and there will be a next time as long as I continue to wheel in Colorado) The BTF replacements are 1/4" thick though, so I think they will be a good addition.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do those on a regular basis. While putting on new brackets is not all bad as you can see it ain't cheap ($44.95/$79.95 + shipping). Its also a big job. Cut the old brackets off, grind down the axle to smooth and install the new ones. Its a $125 -$175 buck job at most any shop and I knew several that will not do it for that.

I do from time to time install new brackets, but to save most of my clients some bucks I build up the OEM ones. They are easy to straighten out. I then add front braces such as these: http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...e-p-20285.html

I note that these are $35 + shipping. I can make up a set which I often do. I charge the same price less shipping. So I do a set for about $30 bucks plus install which runs about $30. Generally the total cost is less than $75 bucks a set.

Then I grab some scrap steel I always have laying around and brace up the sides. This is a LOT cheaper and about as good, I have never had any fail on my clients. Cost is about half of what you would pay for the brackets installed.

You can see in the pic one I just did for a client
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SavageSun4x4 View Post
    I do those on a regular basis. While putting on new brackets is not all bad as you can see it ain't cheap ($44.95/$79.95 + shipping). Its also a big job. Cut the old brackets off, grind down the axle to smooth and install the new ones. Its a $125 -$175 buck job at most any shop and I knew several that will not do it for that.

I do from time to time install new brackets, but to save most of my clients some bucks I build up the OEM ones. They are easy to straighten out. I then add front braces such as these: http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...e-p-20285.html

I note that these are $35 + shipping. I can make up a set which I often do. I charge the same price less shipping. So I do a set for about $30 bucks plus install which runs about $30. Generally the total cost is less than $75 bucks a set.

Then I grab some scrap steel I always have laying around and brace up the sides. This is a LOT cheaper and about as good, I have never had any fail on my clients. Cost is about half of what you would pay for the brackets installed.

You can see in the pic one I just did for a client
    Do those JK brackets fit a TJ Dana 30? I already have Blue Torch Fab 1/4" brackets headed this way. I think that I am going to try to have some reinforcements welded on when we put the new brackets on. If I were anywhere near Scottsdale, I would be glad to send the job your way. Thanks!!!

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And do yourself a huge favor.... invest in some lower control arm skids while you're at. I seem to remember they're about $35 on quadratec, and weld on. Get it all done at the same time.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the Poly Performance brackets and get a hold of FrankZ he is in the forum He is a very skilled and I bet he can fix you up for a very affordable fee... Just ask the CS guys he already hooked up(simple88 and Irishassasin come to mind), I seen his work and it is really good.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=JoeySnow70;223788]Get the Poly Performance brackets and get a hold of FrankZ he is in the forum He is a very skilled and I bet he can fix you up for a very affordable fee... Just ask the CS guys he already hooked up(simple88 and Irishassasin come to mind), I seen his work and it is really good.[/QU

I already ordered the Blue Torch Fab brackets. They are laser cut 1/4", as opposed to the 3/16" Poly Performance rigs. I have another local jeeper lined up to help me out with the welding. FrankZ definitely does great work though. I think I am about to get one of his 1-ton steering systems...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)