2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Adding a york to my LT1

Ok I have a york compressor I am gonna use for onboard air but I dont have a pulley available to run it off of. I was thinking of running a pulley off of the crank pully and mounting on the drivers side of the engine since the passenger side is where all the accessories sit now.

My questions is, if the pulley I mount isnt PERFECTLY centered is it going to mess with the smoothness of the motor? There are three bolts on the crank pulley that I could use to attach the new pulley to but I just want to make sure there wont be any adverse reactions to doing so.

I can provide pictures if need be.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume you are talking 'alignment' of the pulley. That is important stuff. You can prematurely wear out the belt, put lateral strain on the bearings and cause them to fail. A host of issues can occur.

Here is a good pix/writeup on install a OBA system that MAY be of some help to you. He used the OEM AC unit and got it all installed for less than $100 bucks...http://www.savagesun4x4.com/enter/te...ba_ucando.html
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not so much alignment of the pulley, i can get that all done with the mounting plate I build, I am more worried about affects of the pulley on the engine.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen many of these done but unfortunately I have never seen a long term succesful OBA implementation with a stock GM pump. They always fail no matter how much you oil it. Hence the reason I am running a york, though I cant fit the york in the stock location, it hits the frame in any configuration that would be plausible. I think my biggest problem is that it wont fit on the passenger side at all, this is where everything on the LT1 sits. Therefor this is my only option really, I just have to make sure it wont hurt the balance of the engine.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see where adding another pulley is going to hurt the motor any, neither should the mounting location.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you post the pics??? Do you have a serpentine or V belt clutch??? I just finished adding a York to my engine compartment and Im just hop-skip away, if you like a second set of eyes....

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same delema. My LT-1 has the A/C delete kit. I am planning on runnign the York too. I thought I'd double up the pulley on the ALT or idler or something that away. I havn't looked at it much yet to figure it out though.
    HighlanderCJ-7

If you don't stand behind our troops,
    Feel free to stand in front of them!

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another note: I had an ExtremeAir 100% duty cycle electric set up on my rig for years. Not quite as fast as engine driven OBA but it was quicker than just about anything else I have seen in that configuration.

Then a few years ago when they first came out I bought a Warn Power plant that has an organic air compressor that is driven off the winch motor. In airing up at the trail head the Warn will run with any OBA system I have seen, be it a Kilby or home brew. I go heads up with 4 tires and I run my 37's at 6 lbs and air up to about 22 +/- 2 lbs for street/highway use.

The newest ExtremeAir will beat OBA hands down.

I provide this info as a FYI only and not condeming anyone for going OBA, just letting you know there are other systems a lot cheaper that work as well.
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1997 to 2006

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from what im getting, your crank dampner on the from of the motor has 3 bolts that holds it on and you want to use 1 of those bolts to hold the pully for the OBA? if so then that will not work, it will through the balance of the motor off and as the pully/dampner rotates it will get closer then farther away of the OBA so the belt would not hold.

If you center the pully with all 3 bolts on the dampner then you would be good to go.

just re-read you first post again: the pulley with 3 bolts on the front is mounted to the dampner. if that pully has a hole in the middle of it then you can get at the 1 bolt that holds the dampner on. just change that to a longer bolt and add pully for oba.
    03 Rubicon, 6.0L Chevy, 700R4, 241, ORI struts, custom F&R dual traiangulated longarms, 39.5 Irok, frame backhalf, 35 Spline Ford 60's, Full Hydro steering, 110"wb
    05 TJ (salvage), 6.0L aluminum head Chevy with LS1 parts (@400hp) , 4L60E, home made longarm on 14" SAW coilovers, 35 spline Dana 60's, 100"wb

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea I only spent 40 bucks on the compressor and already have a tank laying around so all i need is the hardware and a mount for the york which is easy. When talking about the 3 bolts i will use all three of them to mount a pulley to the crank pulley. I would like to run the thing off something else, like the alt but there is nowhere on that side to mount the york and if I mount it on the Driver side the only thing I have to attach to is the crank pulley.

Either way I will get some pics up, i just need to make sure it wont interfere with the steering before I build the bracket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast