User Tag List

Thread: oh no! My transmission is going now.

My toys haul themselves. Sandbagger's Avatar

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Portsmouth NS
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default oh no! My transmission is going now.

So, I've started to lose power in reverse and my automatic shifting in drive is sluggish at times. I'm pretty certain that the transmission is going. It's a vintage 1987 Chrysler tranny with over 150k miles on it. I think it's about time to replace.

What would you guys suggest that I pick up to replace it? As much as I love working on my wrangler, I feel that this job might be beyond my capabilities and will probably take it to a mechanic.
    2001-2007 Active USAF
    2007-2009 Enlisted ME ARNG
    152 CRC Maine ARNG

MilitaryJeepers - the one website that considers NY state part of New England.

GO ARMY

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if its just swapping in an auto, its very straight forward. hardest part is lining up the torque convertor and input on the trans when you reinstall it.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sandbagger,

Have you checked the basics...ie fluid levels, band adjustments? What model is it?
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7
    7,000 mi and counting on the TBI 258
    DUI, Np435, Twin Sticked D300, Locked Waggy D44s
    4" SUA with homebrew spring outboard
    37" siped swampers with some other nifty bolt-ons.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have it checked out by someone that knows what's what with autos before making your final decision. Like someone else posted, check the fluid first. Is it brown and smell burnt?
    FWIW, I just had the auto in my TJ completely rebuilt and vent line extended and it ran me around $1600.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1997 to 2006

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 91YEEPER View Post
    if its just swapping in an auto, its very straight forward. hardest part is lining up the torque convertor and input on the trans when you reinstall it.
    never every try and put the trans on with the torque converter already bolted to the fly wheel. that is the biggest made mistake and a great way to bust the front pump.

Always put the torque converter on the trans then install, then bolt the torque converter up to the fly wheel.
    03 Rubicon, 6.0L Chevy, 700R4, 241, ORI struts, custom F&R dual traiangulated longarms, 39.5 Irok, frame backhalf, 35 Spline Ford 60's, Full Hydro steering, 110"wb
    05 TJ (salvage), 6.0L aluminum head Chevy with LS1 parts (@400hp) , 4L60E, home made longarm on 14" SAW coilovers, 35 spline Dana 60's, 100"wb

Branch
    Air National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Wayne
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimhatTJ View Post
    never every try and put the trans on with the torque converter already bolted to the fly wheel. that is the biggest made mistake and a great way to bust the front pump.

Always put the torque converter on the trans then install, then bolt the torque converter up to the fly wheel.
    that is a key, but also the torque converter usually only goes on to the flex plate in one spot, a tip I do is spray paint one bolt hole making sure to get torque converter and flex plate covered.
    Also, if reusing the converter....be sure to check if there is a drain on the converter to see if you can get out the old fluid and fill it back b4 putting it in. You don't want to replace transmission or repair but put a converter in it that has alot of metal shavings in it just to risk destroying the trans again.

Good luck
    2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 4" lift, 35" MTZs, Poison Spyder armor.
    Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimhatTJ View Post

I don't think he was trying to say to put the tq converter on the motor...I've never seen that done and would be damn near impossible to get it lined up. Painting a bolt hole when you remove the tq converter definitely saves a little headache, it's a good trick.
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7
    7,000 mi and counting on the TBI 258
    DUI, Np435, Twin Sticked D300, Locked Waggy D44s
    4" SUA with homebrew spring outboard
    37" siped swampers with some other nifty bolt-ons.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CutterN55 View Post
    I don't think he was trying to say to put the tq converter on the motor...I've never seen that done and would be damn near impossible to get it lined up. Painting a bolt hole when you remove the tq converter definitely saves a little headache, it's a good trick.
    this what i was referring to, not actually installing the trans. its very straight forward. the tc can only bolt up 1 way as the bolts are spaced differently. it does help to mark the stud on the convertor so it simplifies the install. i would recommend putting studs in convertor instead of bolts if it still uses the stock bolts.

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Portsmouth NS
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CutterN55 View Post
    Sandbagger,

Have you checked the basics...ie fluid levels, band adjustments? What model is it?
    I've checked the fluid levels and they are good. The fluid seems clean.

It's a stock (vintage) 1987 auto trans. I'm not sure who the manufacturer was.

I'm pretty certain I want to replace the unit with a brand new one. What would you guys suggest for a manufacturer? I don't want to mess around since I'll probably be using it for trail riding.
    2001-2007 Active USAF
    152 CRC Maine ARNG

GO ARMY

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Portsmouth NS
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK so maybe a rebuild is a better option for me now. I haven't had any luck finding a new one. As it stands, I'm waiting on my commuter vehicle ('96 Hyundai Elantra Wagon) to get an exhaust leak fixed before I start tearing into my only mode of transport.
    2001-2007 Active USAF
    152 CRC Maine ARNG

GO ARMY