2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default jeep dies

ok i hooked up my cb on friday and i made sure it worked tuned with swr meter down i got my swr down to 1.1 and tested with the jeep off worked awesome i got about a 10 mile range so yesterday on the trail any time i keyed up the mic on the cb my jeep dies or cuts out

so what do i need to isolate, insulate in order to keep from messing up my jeep
    Rocks to a Jeep are like crack to an addict

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    Anything can be fixed with enough redneckery.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1974 to 1983

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First thing I would do is look at where you have the power wires routed, they could be causing the interference thats messing up the system. You might be able to get a choke like they sell for stereo system to keep out alternator whine, it would also block any rf from getting into the power system. The other choice it mount a filter capacitor from the hot wire to ground. Hope some of this helps.
    I have not yet begun to fight. John Paul Jones

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what cb brand? cobra should have an org and red wire. route them to the keyed and always on leads near your fusebox, run your ground to the same tang that the instument cluster uses on the firewall under the dash and get rid of any noise/problems
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1975 to 1978

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any chance you nicked other wires during installation?

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I redid the wires one goes from positive side of the battery and the other goes to a fire wall ground i forgot to mention that when i had the crappy antenna on it did not act up so what what would change the only thing we can think of is that it is messing with a sensor input but how i am confused

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1974 to 1983

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the new antenna mounted in the same place as the old one? If it is make sure it has a good ground. On a 92 I think the most likely sensor to be affected would be the camshaft positon sensor or the crankshaft position sensor. I really can't think of any others that would cause what you describe. It could be that the sensor is going bad, getting old. If you can have someone hook up an o-scope to the sensor output and watch for interference you should be able to find out which one it is.
    I have not yet begun to fight. John Paul Jones

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok today i tried moving the antenna around that did not help i moved it as far as the coax would reach and no change i Did that assuming that i had a noise issue but it did not help so next step i think it has to do with the transmitters location in relation to the crank position sensor Because with the flat belly skid and the MML ( those were not installed with the old antenna and i had a t-case drop in ) that will put the CPS about 6 inches away from the back of the transmitter and a few inches away from the coax so i am needing a way to filter or block the rf noise from the engine compartment any ideas me and my buddies are out me ideas on how to fix this and the only thing that has changed is the location of th crank position censor and the antenna since it started acting up

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah I sorry to sound like a jerk but it is not your cb. Does the jeep start when the cb is turned off or something? If you remove the wires to the cb from the battery does the jeep run fine?

For a cb to make enough interference to effect your sensors it would have had to of been made by fred flinstone.

this seems to be either you snagged another wire by accident or, you had the really bad timming of having a sensor die at the same time you were working on your radio
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wire ing is good i am in the process of going through the charging system i think it is a battery issue i got 12 volts at the battery when it is off and 12.1 when the jeep is running and when i key up the mike the voltage drops to 11 volts so i an going to get a new battery and i an getting my alternater rewound for more amperage and we will see what happens

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1968

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a bad Alternator, You should have 13 x volts when the engine is running.
    The CB will not turn the engine of , unles you used the ignition wire to power the CB.
    You need to hook the CB from the Batt.
    I push 331 watts on my CB and not turn my engine off when I key the mike.
    I hear my voice on the Jeep stereo, my third brake lite comes on, But other than that the
    engine runs fine.
    You have power issues eg Batt don't hold charge and alt is not charging.
    If you don't give up---You will never fail.

8th Combat Engineers (Sapper) (Vietnam 66)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast