User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ticket for no mirrors at Fort Benning!!!!!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Benning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Ticket for no mirrors at Fort Benning!!!!!

I'm here at Fort Benning, Ga., while I was driving home from the PX I was given a ticket for driving with no mirrors. Now, I wasn't born yesterday, so before I took the doors off my 07 jeep I checked state mirror laws. Did I mention I checked this law in March???!!! The Ga taffic law 40-8-72 states:

Every motor vehicle which is so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear thereof from the driver's position shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

Now the officer that was issuing the citation said that this was a "fad" that was going around post among Jeep owners. When I told him of the law, and that jeep community has checked state laws before we start any new "Fads", he said that I was right about the law but the rear view mirror does not count as a mirror because it is "cosmetic".........WTF MATE!!!

So here I am sitting with a 50 dollar ticket and a court date on the 4th of November. I'm pissed because I feel I'm in the the right. Can anyone help me out here????? Reassurance....legal preferred

Thanks

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1997

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bring a copy of the law and pics from driver seat into rear view mirror showing no obstruction to view of the rear of the vehicle. if you have a spare tire on the back, your screwed.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Benning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but what if the spare doesn't go past the top of the back seat?

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like any law, there is the LETTER of the law (exactly what it says) and the SPIRIT of the law (what is intended to be achieved by the law). Unfortunately they are both open to interpretation. Your challenge is to get the judge to agree with your interpretation or follow the true letter of the law. Good luck to you, but to me you sound in the right.
    06 LJ | 4.0L | NSG-370 | D44/D30 w/4.88's | 4.5" RE Superflex lift | 35-12.50-15 Cooper STT's on 15x10 Cragan steelies | RockKrawler X-Factor steering | Shrockworks sliders | DirtWorx bumper/tire carrier | LockRite auto locker | Midland CB w/4 ft Firefly antenna | SOLID rear diff cover | DIY thumb throttle | 750w power inverter | Smittybilt XRC8 winch ...and GROWING

http://wheelersforthewounded.org
    http://www.mississippivalleyjeepers.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Showing up usually wins you such cases; the judge will probably respond positively to your polite testimony, and you also have a good chance of the issuing officer not showing. So I think you'll be OK if you go and take both the copy of the law and some good pictures showing how much you can see from the cab with the center mount mirror.
    Keep it slow. I can't afford spare parts.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1977 to 1988

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you'll beat this one. In my state (WA) you must have a mirror on the drivers side and on passangers side unless you have a center rearview mirror inside, then you only have to have one on the drivers side.
    Most people go through life wondering if they have made a difference, ... United States Marines, do not have that problem. Pres. R. Reagan 1985

I am a Sheep Dog, ... Wolves Beware!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Benning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't want to put my doors back on......I've had them off now for about 3 months and now they are saying I have to put them back on!!!!! GGGRRRRRRRR.......

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Showing up usually wins you such cases; the judge will probably respond positively to your polite testimony, and you also have a good chance of the issuing officer not showing. So I think you'll be OK if you go and take both the copy of the law and some good pictures showing how much you can see from the cab with the center mount mirror.

This. Also if you want to win on principle, get a lawyer. I've known people who have gotten out of tickets this way.
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

www.4x4corps.com

www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1975 to 1978

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to a bike shop and got two mirrors for 10 bucks and a couple of clamps. They wabble and aren't really "usable", but it meets the mirror law.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here might be the answere to your problems.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product...sp?number=7628
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast