Served
    Served
    1997 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Recovery questions!

If you take a 5,000lb Jeep that is stuck in mud and attach a recovery strap to another Jeep that weighs 5,000lbs to pull it out, how do you figure how much load is on the line? What if you have no winch and want to hook 2 recovery straps together, what is the best method? I have always ran the strap through the loop back to the vehicle. The new snatch straps they have out are different from a standard recovery strap as you can get a slight running start with these, am I correct in this assumption? From what I have read about them I am assuming this is correct. Where can I find out about shear and tensile strength of recovery products such as d-rings, snatch blocks, etc. How do you estimate the working load of said equipment. I know this has to vary as the products are intended for a straight recovery pull but if you pull from a right angle it stresses the parts differently.
    Thanks

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1988 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

marine0597,
    Check out the section here http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...nd-Information for starters. It will provide some of the information you are seeking. Once you have finished there, then post up your question and we can take your further down the trail.....all good questions BTW.
    Look forward hearing back from you!

Cheers!

Austere Mobility in a '99 TJ Sport with a few bells and whistles

The bravest of all Spartans was Dienekes. It is said that on the eve of battle, he was told by a native of Trachis that “the Persian archers were so numerous that, when they fire their volleys, the mass of arrows will block out the sun.”

Dienekes, however, quite undaunted by this prospect, remarked with a laugh, “Good. Then we’ll fight in the shade!”

Non Vi Sed Arte

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome!

As far as the straps, yes, some are "snatch" straps and do have some elasticity to them while others are "tow" style straps and are not really meant to be snatched. Have we all been doing it for years with few problems? Sure, but yes some are designed to allow a small running start.

Tensile strength of different products; first I would look on the product's webpage then search the web. If you get no answers there call or email the different companies. I would be interested in knowing tensile strength and what they say about recovery and forces applied to their products.

I look forward to hearing what you find out.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To answer the first question, It depends how deep is the Jeep. Up the hub is but not over the center of the hub (Wheel mire) is the weight of the vehicle. Over the center of the hub and up to the fender(fender Mire) is twice the wheight of the vehicle plus cargo. Any further than that(cab mire) you are F&%@&d but is three time the weight of the Jeep plus cargo. So the force exerted to the line will be vehicle weight times the mired depth....

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other strap that you refer to is the Kinetic strap(well I assume you are). here is some info.
    Allied Kinetic Energy Recovery Rope
    2-17. The AKERR is a multi-strand, woven, nylon rope used for like-vehicle recovery. The rope is connected between the mired vehicle and the towing vehicle. The towing vehicle accelerates, stretching the rope, which creates potential energy. When the rope is fully stretched, it transfers the energy to the mired vehicle, giving it a strong, sudden pull. Refer to TM 9-4030-200-10 for use and care of the AKERR.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Here

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1974 to 1978

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of info, including estimating load on strap or winch - http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ery/index.html