User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Electrical Gremlin..odometer flickering, radio shuts off when pressing gas

  1. #1
    Administrator miljeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    10,370

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Electrical Gremlin..odometer flickering, radio shuts off when pressing gas

    This morning I was alerted to the fact that my passenger side light is out when the low beams are on. (posted here)

    I jumped in the jeep to grab something to eat for lunch and when i turned out of the parking lot, my speakers made a loud popping noise and the radio cut out. The radio turned back on, but when I looked down at the dash, I noticed my digital odometer has the numbers flickering like a cheap light bulb. When I hit the skinny pedal, the radio cut off again.

    Sick of the loud popping noise and waiting for my jeep to die any minute, I got smart and turned off the radio, but the odometer still flickered. I could see the time disappeaing from the turned off radio as it would cut out and then power on again.

    Any ideas? I can go out and poke around in a little bit, but figured maybe someone would have an idea where to start so I dont wast too much time checking stuff that should not need to be checked.

    It seems like as I let my foot off the pedal and coast to a sort of rolling stop, the flickering odometer does not flicker as much, but as soon as I press the gas it starts flickering more.

    Damn Gremlins messing up my daily driver.

    update: Fixed as noted in post 14. Will know for sure tomorrow moving to and from PT and work, but as of right now it seems that replacing the battery with an optima yellow top seemed to have cured it.
    Last edited by miljeep; 09-09-2010 at 19:13.

  2. #2
    Administrator miljeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    10,370

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Found this post abotu flickering odometer and possessed radio. Going to check what they say to check in a little bit.
    http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums....php?p=4177480

  3. #3
    Senior Member jeepdreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ft Myer, Va
    Posts
    9,108

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Being from the dinosaur age of jeeps my first thought is check your Grounds. Then check them again. Is that going to be the problem...? I honestly don't know but it is where I would start. Never having anything digital/computer controlled to the extent that yours is I'm only offering what I would check generally speaking. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

  4. #4
    Administrator miljeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    10,370

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeepdreamer View Post
    Being from the dinosaur age of jeeps my first thought is check your Grounds. Then check them again. Is that going to be the problem...? I honestly don't know but it is where I would start. Never having anything digital/computer controlled to the extent that yours is I'm only offering what I would check generally speaking. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    @jeepdreamer Thanks, that reminded me that I sent you a pm a few days back. Did you get it?

  5. #5
    covered in mud tickwomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Camp Pendleton
    Posts
    1,918

    Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The elephant in the room for me would be the alternator. Anything electrical goes nuts i check it first. even if it's not the culprit, it may get damaged or be part of the problem. Either that or it's possessed, in which case I would suggest an exorcism.
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

    www.4x4corps.com

    www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

  6. #6
    Administrator miljeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    10,370

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tickwomp View Post
    The elephant in the room for me would be the alternator. Anything electrical goes nuts i check it first. even if it's not the culprit, it may get damaged or be part of the problem. Either that or it's possessed, in which case I would suggest an exorcism.
    I have never had to check an alternator. How do I do that?

    Edit: found this page: http://www.wikihow.com/Check-an-Alternator

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Killeen
    Posts
    71

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    MILJEEP

    I had the same thing happen to me not two weeks ago just did the same thing. Then it went away. I used my battery to start a project vechicle and when I put it back in my Jeep all the gauges went haywire. I put a DieHard P4 in the Jeep and have not had any problems since then. I will let you know if anything does go wrong again.

  8. #8
    Administrator miljeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    10,370

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warfnatio View Post
    MILJEEP

    I had the same thing happen to me not two weeks ago just did the same thing. Then it went away. I used my battery to start a project vechicle and when I put it back in my Jeep all the gauges went haywire. I put a DieHard P4 in the Jeep and have not had any problems since then. I will let you know if anything does go wrong again.
    @warfnatio I fixed the front headlamp and once I get it pieced together, I will take it for a drive. I may try to pick up a new battery at autozone today when the wife gets back from picking the kid up at school. Hopefully it is just the battery. I would really like to take a day just to get all the electrical crap worked out like the CB that is hooked up like crap. Maybe this weekend if i can make myself do it. The lady at autzone said they had a red top and a yellow top optima in stock.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    2,308

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Every time I've had electrical issues with mine I clean the battery cables whether they look clean or not and it fixes it. the voltage can get low even if it's enough to turn the engine over, and it will mess up anything from the timing to the gauges on my TJ. My wife says it's idling funny, so I will have to get right on that when I get home on leave.

    Oh well. probably no real help, but that's my $.02
    Keep it slow. I can't afford spare parts.

  10. #10
    Administrator miljeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    10,370

    Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

    Closest Installation

    Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Every time I've had electrical issues with mine I clean the battery cables whether they look clean or not and it fixes it. the voltage can get low even if it's enough to turn the engine over, and it will mess up anything from the timing to the gauges on my TJ. My wife says it's idling funny, so I will have to get right on that when I get home on leave.

    Oh well. probably no real help, but that's my $.02
    Any help is good help. Thanks. I changed the light bulb in the headlight and when i started the jeep, the odometer did not flicker. I have yet to drive it around because I want to replace the battery first. It is about time for a new battery anyway, I have had this battery since the jeep was bought back in 06.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the MJ Supporter Membership for a little less than $0.06 a day and get more space, 2 MJ Stickers and no banners ads. [Check it out]