Served
    Served
    1997 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1 More Recovery Question!

Thanks for all the good info guys. I really appreciate your help! I haven't been able to figure this out. If you have 4 snatch blocks, you add 1 to the line it doubles the pulling capacity of winch correct? So if you have a 8000lb winch you have increased capacity to 16,000lbs?
    So the more snatch blocks you attach the more you can pull, correct? If you add multiple snatch blocks you will overload your line correct? Thanks again for the help.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost.... Yes you can multiply your winch capacity with each block you add but also you loose 10% per block(friction, force redirection....). So you 8K winch with with a single block is capable of 16000-1600 or 14400lbs, Or 4 blocks will be able to pull 28,800lbs. But the real question is how a 5000lb Jeep can manage that???? Anchors??? Will the winch plate/hardware be strong enough???? Thats why all you get with some winches is a single snatch block. And by the way to be able to achieve this mechanical advantage the winch line have to come back to the Jeep, if not its just redirection and you wont get any mechanical advantage....

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1997 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So am I correct in saying that once you add a snatch block that the line is not rated for that much force, wich in turn would over load the line? I don't plan on using more than 1 snatch block but just wanted to make sure I was correct that you can overload and break the line by using snatchblocks. Also I have a warn snatch block and the box said it has a safety indicator on it do you know how this feature works? Thanks again for all the great info!

Branch
    Air National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Tyndall AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually the force the line "sees" does not chnage with the addition of the block. The force the attachment point sees goes up. Think of it this way, With one block and your line secured to the winch vehicle, there is say 8000 lbs going down the line to the block and then down the remainder of the line to the attachment point. So the winch sees 8000 lbs, both parts of the line see 8000 lbs, the vehicle attachment point sees 8000 lbs, the block and the block mounting point see 16000 lbs (8000 from each part of the line). Hope that is clear, if not I can draw a picture that makes more sense.
    Rob
    '05 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara #369/1000; UNDER CONSTRUCTION

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1b.jpg

this is a good example of how mechanical advantage and pulley systems create greater pulling/lifting forces with minimal effort.

the 1.75" wire rope in a straight line lift would be rated at 35k lbs. but in the hook block and sheaves it can lift 600 tons.

Machete wielding woodsman 94GC52's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the other issue is the more times you connect a block the shorter your line has become.
    Got Machete?

98 GC Special Edition 5.9l (build in progress) RE 4.5" SF Lift, Mickey Thompson 33" MTZ's, 15x10 ProComp 152's, ProtoFab Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, 10k winch, Np242 Tcase Swap...

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1997 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Info guys. I got it. Makes sense now!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You only double the power if the rig the return line parallel to the main line.
    "If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
    Zig Ziglar