2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default drainholes in the frame

i ran a hose in the frame holes today and got everything from mud to pieces of rust about the size of silver dollars . i was wondering if anybody had drilled drain holes in the bottom of the frame and if so how did you go about bracing the frame after the fact or if you even needed it. everything is appreciated

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have heard drilling drain holes is a bad thing. the only thing i have heard of is using a pressure washer down the frame rails and in the little holes all the way down
    -Jeb

99 GC Ltd. V8. plenty of goodies, 6in lift 33s, rear locker, 12v cooler, steel bumpers fr+rr, Roof Top Tent,
    01 TJ 4.0 auto.. stock street queen for now.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after you get it clean i have heard of puting great stuff to fill the gaps to keep mud out
    If it can't be fixed with 100 MPH tape, 550 cord, zip strips, and a hammer it can't be fixed

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    after you get it clean i have heard of puting great stuff to fill the gaps to keep mud out
    Great Stuff? Never heard of it, is it expensive? I have heard of people removing the frame and putting POR15 in it to help keep the frame from rotting.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great stuff is a void filler and works great as insulation around pipes that run through the walls of your house it is pretty tough stuff you can get it at home depot or lowes and it is pretty cheap thanks for the idea

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would just drill 3/4" holes in strategic places so crud/mud/water can drain out. It won't weaken the frame. Look at all the holes that are already punched in it.

On CJs and YJs, the rear frame horns are prone to rusting out due to crud buildup. The dirt remains moist for long periods of time and eats the frame from the inside out. That's why the lower half of the frame rail is the part that's rotten. Usually, the upper half of the frame is in good shape.

You'll never be able to keep the junk from getting in the frame so the next best thing you can do is provide a way for it to get back out.. so the frame can dry quickly.

After every wheeling trip (or whenever you normally wash your rig), blast water through the frame until the crud is out and the water flows clear.
    1980 CJ5 w/AMC 360, T176, D300 w/4to1, D44s, 3.73s, Lockright/Detroit, 33s, Full Cage

A Jeep-Based Buggy on 42s.. Big Lime