Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1967 cj-5 build...

So a few weeks ago I bought a 67 cj-5 for my fiance. She has always wanted a Jeep, and I always wanted to do a body off resto/renovation.

So here is a synopsis of how things are coming along. I dont have a digital camera so until I get one, there won't be any pics. However anyone near Bolling AFB can come by the hobby shop where I am doing all my work.

Day 1: removed the hood, fenders, battery tray, grill, and all the body mounts. Some of them gave me some trouble and I had to zip them off. After pulling the last body bolt, I disconnected the clutch pedal, acccelerator brackets, wiring from tub to engine bay, and all other connected stuff. Once everything was disconnected I set the lift in the high lift bay, under the body and separated the body from the frame. Once I got the frame in the air, I was happy to see that there was very minimal rust. All that was here was surface rust that I would later sand down to metal. After having the body off, I started to sand/putty knife the frame down to metal. Finished the day sore and happy to get the project rolling.

Day 2: Prior to going to the hobby shop I stopped by Home depot and picked up several sanding disks, grinders, wire wheels, new carraige bolts/nuts/washers, a quart of rustoleum gloss black, and a Mountain Dew.

When I got to the hobby shop I immediatly got to work sanding down the frame. Mind you the suspension was still on, this is just a body off. Anyhow I found out very quickly that sanding greasy dirt will waste a lot of money spent on grinding disks and sandpaper very quickly. I decided to hold off on the sanding and take the frame to the wash bay just outside the hobby shop parking lot. I used a ton of degreaser and the pressure hose to do a mediocre job of knocking the chuncks off the frame. Following the "cleaning" I rolled the frame back to the bay and got a putty knife and a bucket with some gas in it to strip the frame down. Wow what a breeze compared to sanding. I got half the frame done in about 2 hrs.
    After a few hours cleaning the frame with the putty knife/gas method, I took the air sander and did some final sanding to get the old paint off the frame where i missed it with the knife. After that I cleaned the frame with Acetone and shot it with the Rustoleum gloss black.
    It came out "OK" I know its a frame and not like the body, but I could've been more meticulous in my prep. maybe even a primer or something to smooth out a bit of the pitting that occured from the surface rust. AFter paint, I cleaned up my bay and tooka the frame and body and shoved em in an open parking space in the back lot for a few days till i could get back o work on it.

Day 3: I took the tub into a flat bay and put it up on jackstands. removed the seats, dash plate, wiring harness (which was cut into more than Micheal Jackson's nose), gas tank, and most of the soft top snaps that run the back half tub perimiter. I then started the whole arduous process of gas/putty knife stripping. I spent the rest of the day stripping the interior of the old flat black spray paint and smoothing out the surface in prep for Hurculiner. I got about 90% through stripping before I packed up for the night, (this is when I get mad that I dont have a garage, I could do this stuff all night and not pay hourly to use the bay).

Day 4: Did some final stripping then cleaned the tub interior with Dawn, steam cleaned it and then taped off the edges of the tub. after taping off, i used the rest of a can of rustoleum to get a little coverage of a little bit of surface rust the I couldnt reach well enough to complettely remove during prep. I covered it well though and laid it in a dust coat to the Hurc would stick better. I started the Hurculiner process by using the supplied paintbrush and hitting spots I knew the roller wouldnt get. After hitting the corners and seams I began to roll the Hurc into the tub, starting with the passenger floorboard, then driver floorboard, bed, rear weel humps. and finally the tub perimeter. After 3 coats it came out looking pretty good.

I decided that while the Hurc was drying, I would do more things that needed getting done. I rolled the frame out to the bay and used the steam cleaner to clean the engine, t-case, tranny, and axles. Once that was done I decided to replae the gaskets and seals in the t-case. I bought a gasket set from an online distibutor. I cant remember the name. might have been Krage. Anyhow, I fumbled my way through removing the t-case and got it on the bench. Took it apart and put it back together with new gaskets. When i got the t-case back to the frame, I tried to put it back on however and found that I couldn't get it to sit flush and I also couldnt move the shifter. Time was running out so I just did my best to button up what was there and leave for the night. The real problem is that I have to work all weekend so tonight after i get off work, i have til about 7:30pm to get the t-case on and flush, as well as clean up my mess in the bay. So they dont charge me out the yin yang for having the jeep in the bay, while not being there. Anyone knowledgable available tonight to help out? I don't know if I could figure it all out, install it properly, and clean everything up before 8pm by myself. I am going to try to get off a little earlier so i can try to get there by 5. Anyone is welcome to meet me over there..... Let's hope it all gets worked out and things continue to move at a decent pace. Thanks for reading I will keep adding updates.

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bro...GO BY A CHEAP DIGITAL CAMERA!!!!!!! They can be had for 50 bucks!

We all want to follow the build and you will be happy later that you did...frame-off restorations normally only happen to a rig once. Buy it now or you will regret it later and wish you had.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey mine started very similar...Day 1, 2, 3, etc ..stripped down to frame....now year 3 it still sits stripped down to the frame...don't slow down, just keep plugging through because it is hard to get restarted.

Truck
    Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    Im in no position to. Mine doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by miljeep View Post
    Oh, thanks to Nate who stopped by tonight and helped a struggling old bald man pitch a tent.
    83 Scrambler, bought in 94...starting to rust away..."we can rebuild him" Now in pieces all over the garage
    82 Scrambler, bought in 05, chevy 305/TH350/NP205
    86 CUCV Maintanance truck w/12KW PTO driven generator & air compressor
    83 Scrambler-151/T176/D300...basically stock..possible restoration for DD duties

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok ok i will go get a friggin camera! ugghghg,
    anyone wanna come to bolling today after 5 and help me get the t-case back on and move the frame and body out of the bay and back to the parking lot? im currently paying the 5 dollars an hour for the lift bay and im stuck at work!

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1999

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if i was closer, i'd give ya a hand. defiantly get us some pics .
    frank
    USMC 1990-1999

jeeps 49, 55, 57, 80, and 93

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

05warrior came and helped out a bit packing some things up today. I found out that the problem in reinstalling the t-case was the roller bearings that sit around the output shaft from the bellhousing had fallen off while i pulled of the t-case... Anyhow i found most of them, but after several attempts at demonstrating futility, I have come to the conclusion that I will just rebuild the tranny while I have it apart... unless buying a rebuilt one in a forum comes out cheaper. Warrior has the fun pics that everyone can laugh at

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heres a couple pics that road cone took with his cell cam...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am digging the outside of the framerail headers Bro. Looks like a life-size erector set!
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on man, Where's the rest of em???
    You can post em with your story, or I can. It's your choice!
    Annoy Liberals....
    Work hard and be happy

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

found some roller bearings in the bottom...

tried to install by sliding them into the shaft walls...

dropped a couple

got the great grease idea...

grease worked, but i didn't find all of them so i scrapped the whole process and figured id find the rest and try again another time.

the lessons of futility are learned by the patient.
    Last edited by drummermike58; 06-15-2008 at 01:20.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast