Serving
    Served
    1994 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Snorkel/Ram-Air combo

Ok I have a question that maybe obvious to some of you. I am planning on next change to the jeep to be replacing the stock air intake system with a Banks Ram-air intake. My question is this. I also want to put a snorkel on the jeep. The Banks system leaves a huge opening as the intake low on the jeep, which means as soon as I get into any water that even comes up into the engine for a few seconds runs the chance of flooding into the system. I have searched for a snorkel that would work with the Ram-Air but can not find one. Is that because they will contradict each other. IE the snorkel changes the intake of Air into the system thus canceling out the ram air affect. I like the affects of the daily driver of the ram-air. But am concerned about the possible water intake into the engine. No I am not planning on doing alot of deep water crossings, but at the same time I am the type to just cut off a road and see where it goes, and when I am done with the build up I dont want the fact I am worried about water getting in the system to stop me. Any recommendations or guidence would be greatly appriciated.
    "Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you... Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."
    -- Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr.

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) While a snorkel can help with preventing water ingestion in your engine, it was designed to help the engine collect clean dirt/dust free air while driving around the Australian Outback. A LOT of other things need to be water-proofed before you go playing submarine with your TJ.

2) A ram-air setup will not work with a snorkel.

There is some heated discussion as to whether or not there is any ram-air effect with a snorkel. There are two sides to it and both have some data to back their points up. If there is any ram-air effect from a snorkel, it is marginal at best.

If you ever plan on doing a lot of rock crawling or extreme tight trails, remember that snorkel is going to hand way off your Jeep and grab every rock and tree it can find. Many guys have installed snorkels only to wish they hadn't.

Having said that, my LJ will be getting a snorkel because it will not be seeing much rocks and super tight trails.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Go snorkel. Leave the open element "ram air" filters to the rice burners...Doesn't mean you can go diving but offers a little more protection and better (marginally) flow than the factory air box.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only way to force more air into the engine is with a super or turbo charger. If having a bigger filter area could get you more air and make more power it would probably only be gained at higher RPMS. That may help if you are mudding and run at wide open throttle. If that is the case the more exposed the element the greater the chance of getting craps into the motor. The little if any power gained would not be worth the chance of ruining your motor.

If you want to get your air intake up and out of the way than I would go with a snorkel and forget about "ram air".
    "If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
    Zig Ziglar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

On my '02 TJ I have an ARB snorkel, works great, on the dusty trails here in CO it does a great job of keeping my air filter in the OEM air box from loading up with dust. I use a K&N Filter and I think I have only had to clean it once in 50K miles since I added the snorkel. Not sure how effective it is, but if the intake is facing forward you do get some ram intake at speed and it is easy to rotate it to face backwards if you are off road and get into some tight trails or low hanging branches.

On my '06 LJ which is my daily driver and not my trail rig, I added a cold air intake and I can tell you that i have much better throttle response and after about 6 weeks of monitoring my mileage I have added about 30 miles between fill-ups which is equal to 1.5 mpg improvement.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a third option is a filter setup that pulls air through the cowl; I've seen a couple of builds online that had a setup like that, and it seems a decent way to keep all but a crazy amount of water out of the intake; you just have to make sure that the cowl itself is well drained and not clogged up. As for Hp gains, I have no numerical idea, but at least the air would be genuine outside air--cleaner and most likely cooler. With a proper install there's probably plenty of room to keep the intake tube well above the bottom of the vent space. It just can't be right below the cowl vent, I guess. I guess as a sort of compromise option. probably cheaper than a snorkel, too.

has anyone done or seen any of these in person?
    Keep it slow. I can't afford spare parts.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIRC, Spectac has moved his intake to the right side of the cowl. I remember seeing it when he came down to Bragg to play with us, but I think he said he hadn't connected it to his TB yet???

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would just go with an ARB snorkle.

I have the ARB snorkle on my 05 LJ. Love it! As previously stated, it has kept my engine from hydrolocking in a deep stream crossing (Water up the passenger side of the windshield, hood completely under, and water pouring in thru the passenger window....)

It keeps the filter pretty clean, is not a 'Ram - air' (Too many bends in the system) but brings much cooler air in from outside the engine compartment. I noticed an increase in throttle response, but no increase in MPG.

For all those who constantly remark on breaking the snorkle head in rocks or in the low hanging branches of tight wooded trails, just loosen one screw and turn the snorkle head around to face the rear! I do it all the time, have dragged it against tree branches and rocks and the branches just go right over it. Here is an off road pic with the snorkle head turned around:

05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1994 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK TY for the advice everyone. I think I am going to go with the snorkel idea. It seems to give me the best of what I want from it all. I am going to start a forum on the Build Threads. This is my first build of a Jeep and am really looking forward to it. Putting a forum up there to get advice on my next step and to show the baby steps as I have taken them. Please put in any knowledge you have on what I have posted as My next upgrade. Also If I have tried a product that you have been thinking about and want to know how it is working, feel free to send me PM about it. Thanks again for your help. And am looking forward to numerous talks.
    "Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you... Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."
    -- Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr.

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck on your project and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I do have one request. If you go with the ARB snorkel, would you mind sending me the cardboard template when you are done? I bought my snorkel used and need the template.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast