Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CJ / YJ Rear seat relocation

Nothing special but I thought I'd share. I wanted more leg room for people in the back seat but still wanted a little storage behind the seat for gear, jack, etc so I decided to move my rear seat back. These instructions are for a 87-95 YJ tub, but it can be done on a CJ7 tub as well. The difference between the YJ and CJ tubs for this mod is that the YJ tub's have a 2nd row of threaded holes 5 1/2" behind the first row of seat mounts. The CJ7 tubs don't have this, so you will need to use two angled steel reinforcements. This will hopefully make more sense later on....

Supplies:
    I went to lowes and picked up a piece of angled steel - don't recall the exact thickness but I think it was 1/8". I also got all new grade 8 hex head bolts to mount the seat frame to the bed and for the seat belt tie downs. I also picked up a few nuts that I later welded onto the angled steel. These will become the rear seat mount holes. I also picked up a step drill to make the holes.

Steps:
    This was the most difficult and time consuming part -dropping the gas tank. I planned ahead and waited until I was almost out of gas so I didn't have to mess with a heavy tank or draining fuel. Once the tank was down, I cleaned all the gunk away from the underside of the bed so I had a clean working surface. I then measured the position of where I wanted my seat. This took some decision, but ultimately I slid the seat back as far as it would go to a point where I could still mount my high lift jack behind the seat and still close the rear door. This ended up being about 5 1/2" back. Since there was a nice set of threaded holes already there, why not use them. I marked the position of my new holes and started drilling. Once all my holes were in place, I measured the width (from wheel well to wheel well) of my working area beneath the bed and cut the angled steel to the appropriate width. (As a side note, if you don't have a lot of clearance between the underside of the bed and the top of the gas tank, you might have to rip one length of the angled steel to give yourself more clearance - I think I had to take off about 1/2" on mine. I was using the original CJ7 tank with a YJ tub)

I then tack welded the angled steel into place underneath the bed and then extended the holes that I had made previously in the bed all the way through the steel. I then welded grade 8 nuts onto the backside of the angled steel. That way I can temporarily remove the seat later on if necessary without having to drop the gas tank to put it all back together.

With the angled steel welded to the underside of the tub and grade 8 nuts welded onto the steel, I was ready to position the seat and begin installing the bolts. If you have the YJ tub, the thread pitch and size for the front row of seat mounting bolts are the same as the original hardware. If you have the CJ tub, you'll need install a second piece of angled steel to serve as your front foundation.

I'll work on verifying the size and length bolts I used and update the thread.

I used high lift jack mounts to mount the jack to the top of the wheel wells behind the seat. There is just enough room even with the 3 point seat belts.

The first picture is the seat in the original spot.
    Second picture is the underside of the tub/bed where I installed the angled steel.
    Third picture is the seat in the new location.
    Fourth picture shows just how far back the rear seat is. Even with the kid car seat, the back of the car seat didn't hit the soft top window when zipped in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

man, i thought i saw you do this a long time ago. great mod, great job

Fix it until it's broke CrazyHorse6's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did do it a while ago but I never thought I got around to writing it up. Was going through a bunch of pics on the computer last night, saw those, and figured I post them up.

Damn its tough getting old.
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...