Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tire Carrier Plans

I've got to credit Eddie for this design because I really got the layout from him. By far, he builds the best carriers I've seen and word on the trail is they are absolutely bullet proof.

With that said, for anyone out there like me who likes to try their hand at building things, I wanted to share the plans I had for my carrier and what I did.

Supplies:
    I picked up about 14' of 2"x2" square tubing for about $30. It was shockingly cheap.
    From Eddie, I got a bumper to frame tie in kit - absolutely necessary for me to strengthen my bumper not only for the carrier, but also for towing.
    Eddie probably also has the tire carrier hinge kit, which includes the spindle, bearings, race, stud plate for mounting the tire and even the locking mechanism for the swing arm. If Eddie doesn't carry them, I got mine from AtoZ Fabrication.
    Wire feed welder - Lincoln electric home owners special from Lowes. Love it.
    Rustoleum primer and then semi gloss black.
    Reciprocating saw- you need one of these anyway
    Grinder -same as above
    2" ID receiver tub

Attached are the drawings I made with the measurments. I don't recall any of them being off, but that will change depending on your jeep. I found the most important considerations where how far out the carrier will stick away from the tailgate, how high the tire sits, and how it sits left to right when facing the back of the jeep - you want it centered over the midline of your bumper for sure.

I used my stock bumper which isn't really stock, but it was from the PO so I call it stock. I lucked out and on the underside of the bumper was a support arm that was in the perfect position to weld the bottom of the spindle to. Depending on your bumper, you may need to fabricate a base or arm to weld your spindle to as well. When you cut the hole in the top of your bumper, try to cut it the same diameter as the spindle itself - that way you can tack weld the surface of the bumper to the spindle just below the bearing assembly for more support.

As for the locking mechanism, I was not really impressed with AtoZ fabrication's locking handle. I really like the clasps that Eddie uses, so that would be my suggestion. I had to build my swing arm base up quite a bit so that one, the swing arm itself had a nice base to rest on and resisted fatigue over the bumps and years of driving, and I had to build it up so when the swing arm swung shut, it skidded up slightly onto the support surface. In the picture you will see the white nylon "skid plate" or "support plate" that came with the kit for the swing arm. The red piece under that is a section of my wife's old flip flop - it was the perfect height, supportive, yet cushioning. She was not happy.

I also got the idea for using a 2" ID receiver tube from Eddie, so that way if you change tire sizes down the road, you can scoot the tire in or out depending on the size. I welded the stud plate that holds the tire right to a piece of 2"x2" square tubing, then slid the 2"x2" tub into the 2" ID receiver tube. Then I drilled a series of holes, and using a trailer hitch bolt and cotter pin, locked the 2"x2" tube inside the receiver tube.

Again, credit goes out to Eddie for all his designing - I just wanted to share my thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

NERD IN DISGUISE 94socalkrawler's Avatar

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2009 to Present

Closest Installation

NB Coronado
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very nice im going to build my own here soon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1994 Wrangler 2.5L S
    8" Rock Krawler coilover lift
    35" procomp extreme A/T tires on procomp 15" rims

WWW.4X4CORPS.COM
    If you want a great time and good friends in san diego area look here!

Fix it until it's broke CrazyHorse6's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow - nice design. Should be hard as a rock!
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to try that program! I would love to design one for mine.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1965 to 1969

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a good design just try and keep the gas cans as low as possible or even put them between the spare tire and the tailgate and then a high lift jack mount on top of the cans. I wouldnt always carry the cans and jack on a dailly basis so the jack can be the device to keep someone out of the gas cans. The diagonals and the vertical supports for the tire mount can be 2 x 2 tube as that is what the horizontal tube above the bumper is.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what program? looks freaking awesome

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever program they are using to CAD these up!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i know. i wanna know what program it is!! haha

She-Jeeping Jarhead LeafspringMARINE's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want a fold DOWN not OUT tailgate.... but I dont have any place to put the tire. I really dont want it on the back. Guess I'm just kinda screwed. Guess I should keep money for a cab on hand
    Meghan - MY KID CAN PICK OFF YOUR HONORS STUDENT AT A CLICK AND A HALF !
    • Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
      Ronald Reagan

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1968

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeafspringMARINE View Post
    I want a fold DOWN not OUT tailgate.... but I dont have any place to put the tire. I really dont want it on the back. Guess I'm just kinda screwed. Guess I should keep money for a cab on hand
    There ya go.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ2cdzAweQw
    If you don't give up---You will never fail.

8th Combat Engineers (Sapper) (Vietnam 66)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast