2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USAF New Hi-Lift Jack ?

I need to purchase a hi-lift jack for my jeep because if I get a flat tire, Im f**k*d. I have a 2008 JK. Anybody have any recommendations as to whether I should go with a 48" or a 60"? Jeep is not lifted yet but still too tall for stock jack. Maybe any other ideas? Thanks!
    POW/MIA-Col Herbert L. Lunsford, USAF, 25 July 1967, NVN
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." ~Thomas Jefferson
    "In times of peace, sons bury their fathers...In times of war, fathers bury their sons..."
    ~Herodotus of Halicarnassus (575-546 B.C.)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1968

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I purchase mine from,
    http://www.desertrat.com/products/?id=4080
    The 48 works grate on my JK.
    They also have lots of accessories for it.
    You can, push/pull or lift.
    If you don't give up---You will never fail.

8th Combat Engineers (Sapper) (Vietnam 66)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gave someone my hilift jack a while back and could not remember what size i had so i ordered the longer on to be safe. I have an LJ with 35 tires and 4,5 inch lift. The longer one is actually too long and sticks about 10 inches above my jeep at an angle when mounted on the rear swingout. I think it is safe to go with the 48.

Hilift are dangerous as hell to use anyway, but needed. Just ask @korisu56 about changing a tire at midnight in the dsrk using a hilift. Hell, the post is probably still on here telling how the jeep fell on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, 48" would be enough for tire changing and basic recovery. The 60" makes "winching" with it easier, but man, that thing is looooong! Pay CLOSE attention when people tell you they're dangerous, they can kill or cripple in a heartbeat if you don't pay attention to what you're doing, but they are VERY useful in recovering vehicles!! There are several good tutorials floating around, so read/watch them and pay attention.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on my second hilift, we have used them often...latenight flats or stuffing rocks -whatever no incidents ...so far! They can be very dangerous but if you keep safety in mind when using them then you'll be fine. You may still drop the vehicle but at least body parts will be clear of it.
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just out of curiosity why isn't your stock jack tall enough if you haven't lifted your rig or anything? have you tried simply putting something under it or on top of it to increase the height? the reason i say this hi-lifts are expensive and seeing if there is a way to save you some $
    Web Wheeling Sucks!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 0.02 as someone mentioned me.

On 6 occasions I've had the hi lift fail. 4 were operator error, 2 were I-was-****ed-either-way. I still like them though. They're useful tools for both extraction and jacking if utilized properly. Pay attention, be careful, follow instructions, and exercise the 5th Principle of Patrolling.

The occasion Ryan mentioned: @05warrior and I were at Ryans house attempting to drink our body weight in booze. The bright idea came over us to trade tires. Ryan was holding the flashlight behind the jeep watching the hi-lift. When attempting to place the tire on the axle, the hi-lift tilted and fell towards me. Luckily (extremely) I had lined the holes up on the wheel and studs and it fell into place. Unfortunately, the inside of my thighs remained under the tire and pinched the piss out of them against the asphault.

"But what happened to your spotter?" you may ask. Well, after the jeep fell on me and I was calmly saying "Ow", he said "Dude, look out" and began laughing.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    "But what happened to your spotter?" you may ask. Well, after the jeep fell on me and I was calmly saying "Ow", he said "Dude, look out" and began laughing.
    LOL sounds like us down here!!!! Freds says HOLY SH** Larry your on fire!! I say put it out this bead is going to good.
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USAFMedic View Post
    I need to purchase a hi-lift jack for my jeep because if I get a flat tire, Im f**k*d. I have a 2008 JK. Anybody have any recommendations as to whether I should go with a 48" or a 60"? Jeep is not lifted yet but still too tall for stock jack. Maybe any other ideas? Thanks!
    Why don't you use the jack that came with the jeep? It is much easier to deal with and in most instances more stable.
    "If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
    Zig Ziglar

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the jack that came with your jeep is to short for your jeep, you're not looking at the proper places that jack was meant to lift at. I'd suggest looking at your owners manual to see the proper places to use your stock jack. I wouldn't expect it to reach the frame, but it should reach a jack point on the axle itself. That bottle jack is going to be the safest/easiest way to change out a tire. Hi lifts are inherently dangerous, even with a large base to help stabilize them, they still have a tendency to shift. They're a great recovery tool, and they can work in a pinch to help change a tire.

48" is all you need, unless you plan on going with a 24" lift.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast