1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Fridge/Freezer in my Jeep...

I picked up a F/F for my scrambler and will mount it semi-perminantly in the back for camping/expo trips. Does anyone know if this would be allowed to stay in the Jeep for shipping via PCS to Germany?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should be if it becomes "permanantly mounted", just like a stereo or any other "permanatly mounted" accessory. BTW, what brand did you buy? I have been doing alot of research and from what I have gathered, the Austrailian company WAECO makes the hands-down best 12v fridge/freezer out there. Problem is, they run around $1000 to start!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? A lot of positive reviews for Engle and ARB. There was a relatively inexpensive one that has great reviews on expo here.

What brand did you get @jeepdreamer

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2007

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have a 12v cooler that will heat and cool i was thinking about puting in the back of my jeep if i ever get the rust fixed.
    project Road Kill
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDogSoldier View Post
    NOTHING good happens after 10pm, except in the bedroom.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Doolittle-Rural-Fire-Protection-District/170759052726

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdreamer View Post
    I picked up a F/F for my scrambler and will mount it semi-perminantly in the back for camping/expo trips. Does anyone know if this would be allowed to stay in the Jeep for shipping via PCS to Germany?
    Nevermind. Saw your post on expo

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    Nevermind. Saw your post on expo
    Lol....Korisu you sound so disappointed! Allow me to explain to my military brothers and sisters. I spend a lot of my internet time over at the Expo-portal. And I have discovered that a lot of us jeepers share similar haunts. So somewhere along the line I decided that at least one of my jeeps could (or should?) be set up more for extended travels. The little off road RV that could if you will.?. One of the more useful to have objects for a long backwoods trip is a Fridge/Freezer (F/F) as it helps keep perishables tasty and beer yummy.
    A while back I bought what would seem to be the end all/do all of F/Fs....a Mil-Spec Accu-temp AX56L off a guy on the Expo. And while this is an extremely well made unit...it is to big for the DD/single person outings I do most. It is also HUGE! So it will eventually find a perminant place in my 1.4 ton '46 Bantam trailer which goes on the longer runs or larger group functions where a field kitchen and extra supplies would be appreciated.
    So already having 800 bones tied up in essentually a F/F I won't use for several year (since the trailer is not going to Germany with me) I wanted something smaller, still able to fit my needs and cheap. So I too did a bunch of reading (research is for you smarter folks...I just read...A lot! LOL) and decided on what is undoubtedly a highly argued subject over on the expo...
    The Edgestar 43.
    Why is this so often the subject of arguments? Because its cheap and about half of them ship with a messed up wiring (loose connectors) and have a crappy ciggy lighter plug in. So why would I buy one if I KNOW it may have an issue? Well, two reasons. I've already got over 800 bucks tied up in my big daddy one so the funds won't support an ARB or Engle or Waeco and I'd rather have a F/F than a cooler. The other reason that I am willing to "risk" it is that this is a very well documented issue. There are threads upon threads dealing with people fixing or discovering what makes it not do what...And honestly those are mainly just two things, bad plug design and poor crimping of connectors. Either of those I fix almost daily on my jeeps...so what would be different on a F/F?? The plug is the easiest as mine will get rewired with a basic electrical connector run to the batt via a fused link or relay. The connector will be like any GM alternator disconnect and will allow the F/F to be removed if needed.
    And its cheap. Mine was 314.10 delivered! Yes, free shipping.
    And I gotta say their online customer service was dead on! I'm in Iraq as I'm writing this and I have been having issues the last week or two with my debit card not working via PP,Ebay, and Apple Itunes. I don't know what the problem is but I would guess it has to do with my banks merger with another...stupid banks! Anyway...I tried to buy it by going through the normal buy it online deal but my card got declined. On a whim I contacted the CS folks online and they were more than helpful. They typed in English (lol), they had a sense of humor, and the guy I dealt with knew what the heck I was talking about. He answered my questions honestly about the warranty info and the what-ifs should I get one of the few known ACTUAL bad ones (ie can't be fixed on the spot. Rare) in addition to how long I have before I can actually lay hands on it. And since I am going to Germany next duty station and they would not ship outside CONUS..the warranty would have done me no good anyway.
    From all that I have gathered, once you get your ES F/F you are either golden out of the box or you have a "needs love" version. As in it needs a better/different plug or some wire was not crimped at the factory correctly. Both easy fixes. and the general opinion is that once working it is a great unit. So for me...the "risk" was worth 300clams. I'll let you all know when I get back and how it goes.
    Now for those that asked and are searching I would offer this thought. ARB, Waeco, and Engle all make outstanding units. If your one lucky enough that your pay grade allows you to have deeper pockets and you get spasms if something you buy has to be fixed...you may want to avoid the Edgestar. I would say that any of the "big 3" are equal choices so find one that fits your size requirements and hunt down the best deal.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely not disappointed brother. Just letting you know that you answered my question on another forum

I'm thinking of getting that one too and just using this to plug in. Too easy. I'm just waiting to finish getting my shit (read: jeep) back on the road before i buy fun stuff for it.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    Definitely not disappointed brother. Just letting you know that you answered my question on another forum

I'm thinking of getting that one too and just using this to plug in. Too easy. I'm just waiting to finish getting my shit (read: jeep) back on the road before i buy fun stuff for it.
    Man that thing is pretty slick. Not being a techno-guru means I miss out on useful stuff like this! I don't suppose that is water proof/resistant? Wonder if a cover could be made to work with it? How do the wires secure in the ports? Not much in the way of extra info on the site for nimrods like me. LOL!. I did see this which I thought may be a winner!
    http://www.powerwerx.com/west-mounta...ght-strip.html since the dome lights in my full hard top don't work anymore. Not a bad price really...wonder how bright they are...?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing as how you have a CJ too, I wouldn't really worry about making it water proof. I'm looking over places to potentially wire it up and I'm thinking I may go inside the glove box or perhaps when I square away a console I'll put it in there.

You know how speaker wires plug in the back of home theater systems? I think thats how it works. Spring loaded clamp system. Who knows. Haha. You'll just have to cut off the cig lighter end and wire hot/cold.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That makes sense I suppose...? Just strip the ends, burn in a little flux to keep the wires from going Alphalfa and call it good? Since mine has the full length HT I seriously doubt It will be coming off very often over there. Being single I will likely get stuck in the "Bs" (#)*#!!!!) so storing it would be a real bear! I am gonna try and build some sort of slider to allow me to store a misc box and the F/F back there but haven't worked out the details yet. Seen some I like but having the "Odd 8" means its make it work as usual. *shrugs* And I'm still playing with the idea of finding some way to make my Camprite Tent Cot into a faux-RTT...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast