2001 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Leaky Leaky Rubi Roof?

OK TJ folks, some of you gotta be having this issue to. I keep finding water on my passenger side floorboard, and I cannot figure out where the leak is, have any of y'all had the same problem? So far thanks to a deep Jeep floormat it's not wetting the floor itself, but there's alot of skyjuice coming in...argghhhh? Oh yeah, doesn't matter which top I have on hard or soft..
    "What is life without honor? Degradation is worse than death!"
    -Thomas J."Stonewall" Jackson

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard, soft, skyjuice, wetting itself, golden showers mostly sounds like personal issue... Just PULLIN on you...

Ok, you did not say if there was a link between raining and water in the floorboard? You just said that when you woke up in the morning it was wet.

This begs the question, are you running YOUR AC???? TJ's are noted for the AC in high humidity climates such as where you live of water getting in the floor board. There is a drain hose on the passenger side that drains out the water that AC systems extract from the air. The hose is about 24 in down the fire wall on the pass side. If it gets BLOWN back into the cab then it leaks in there or it stops up. You should check this out.

You can also get water leaking under the windshield in heavy rains if you are driving at hwy speeds. I have always been able to solve this by folding down the windsheild and cleaning the rubber seal(s), making sure YOUR RUBBER has lube on it so it does not stick to the metal except at the glue points. You can use some silicone or WD 40 on a rag.

Lastly if the roof is leaking it will generally drip out while driving at hwy speeds in rain. Again, clean it well, and a bit of lube to insure a smooth fit.

Let us know what works...
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2001 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Savage, it leaks some when it's just sittin' still, some when it's moving (*when it has been rainy, or snow has melted, or ice, or washing the car, or anytime the outside humidity reaches 100%*) The roof seals well as far as I've been able to tell, my guess is the windshield frame, lower maybe. Last week, I sprayed the Jeep with the hose and still couldn't get a lock on exactly where it's getting in. Don't use my AC, just turn it on once a month to keep the compressor ok. Gotta tell ya though, 'bout the golden shower thing, I never pissed on the Jeep... on purpose/sober.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by E5EDDIE View Post
    OK TJ folks, some of you gotta be having this issue to. I keep finding water on my passenger side floorboard, and I cannot figure out where the leak is, have any of y'all had the same problem? So far thanks to a deep Jeep floormat it's not wetting the floor itself, but there's alot of skyjuice coming in...argghhhh? Oh yeah, doesn't matter which top I have on hard or soft..
    Had the same issue. It turned out to be the windshield seal had actually separated and there was about a foot long portion that you could not see with the naked eye, but when the windshield dude came out and stuck a tool in there he could see that it was not sealed properly. He said that it is rare that it happens, but it does happen. Maybe something to look out for. My top was fun and I could not actually see the water dripping down the window. I don't know what path the water took when it entered the portion of the seal that was not "sealed", but the water would end up on my passenger side floorboard.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, just to expand on what I posted above. When they put the windshield in, they lay this sealer which looks like caulk or black RTV type material. They then put the rubber seal around the glass and then press it into place. The caulk stuff should seal the windshield to the vehicle and keep water out.

The guy had to remove the rubber edging from the glass (since he was going to replace it under warranty anyway) and then he took a tool that looked like a paint scraper and he messed with the top of the glass and poked around the caulk stuff. He said that it did not seal against the vehicle correctly. The 1 foot portion that did not seal correctly could not be seen without removing that seal, and I am not sure if you remove the seal without intending to replace the window if you will be able to get it back in.

My suggestion if you have had the windshield replaced by safelite before is to have them come out and look at it under warranty or if you have had it replaced before, find a crack in the glass and have them replace it under warranty to just be sure that you can rule the seal out.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard of a few things that cause this:
    cowl being blocked up, a/c condensation/drain hose being clogged up, bad window seal, door seals

And for a second there I thought you were having a conversation with yourself.....

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, my YJ had the same issue and after much wrangling at the dealer IIRC it was coming thru a area on the pass side windshield glass that had not been properly sealed with the goop they use to keep water out. They did not replace the windshield, but did have to remove it and reseal it and it stopped it evermore...
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2001 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Millyjeep-good points man, I too had had the windshield replaced bout two years back give or tae, great point on picking up the warranty coverage, I'm gonna investigate that angle too...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by E5EDDIE View Post
    Millyjeep-good points man, I too had had the windshield replaced bout two years back give or tae, great point on picking up the warranty coverage, I'm gonna investigate that angle too...
    If you had it replaced by safelite, I think it came with a lifetime warranty.