2003 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My thoughts on the 2011 JK's

Went for a drive in one today and all in all they did a lot of good things on the inside.

I drove an unlimited Rubicon, 6 spd.

The interior has been completely revamped. The doors seem lighter than my 09, it finally has an armrest on the door which is more noticeable than you might realize.

The seats were a brown leather with Jeep embossed on the headrest. It was a nice touch, but still couldnt see having leather on a jeep after what ive done to mine wheeling.

It has different accents which def add to the niceties.

- "since 1946" in brushed alum on the dash oh shit handle
    - a separate "off road" pod on the left beside the steering wheel for the axle lock, and sway bar discos
    - brushed alum vent accents
    - heated seats
    - some kind of ac adapter switch power button(no clue what its for)
    - steering wheel controls for everything radio.
    - raised center console arm rest(nice for us taller guys)
    - chrome shifter ball, and chrome 4wd lever

in the cargo area it had some nice touches
    - it seemed to have more cubby storage, and had a spot pre drilled for each bolt and screw for the hard top and door screw so you dont lose them like i have

- sub is still in the same place
    - comes with freedom top bags to cover them when removed

The top was redesigned, yet all the hold downs and levers were in the same place as my 09, but the inside was painted and molded differently.

I didnt notice that much difference in sound from the outside at highway speeds, so im not sure what they really did to quiet it down.

It also sat SLIGHTLY higher than the other models because it was a rubi.

It was priced at 34.5k with hard top, leather and heated seats, but didnt have the MyGig and probably a couple other options id bet the price will probably get close to 40k with auto, dual top, and full options.

All in all the inside was amazingly nicer than mine, but then again i bought mine COMPLETELY base, even without cruise cause i knew I was going to build it up. I expected to see these features on a Sahara, not a Rubicon. It felt like I was driving a GC or Commander with all the bells and whistles on the inside, not an out of the box off road machine.

Its def going to bring over a lot more soccer moms and yuppies that are used to driving their SUV's with leather and shiny objects on the inside.

So expect less waves in '11

"I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and I believe that our education like such as South Africa, and the Iraq, everywhere like, such as, and I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., or should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for our children."
    -Miss South Carolina

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lmao. We had a '11 thread somewhere else. Thanks for the insight. I want to test drive a rubi without the leather options. I really don't like leather, even in my wife's GC.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more and more I look at it, I kinda wished I woulda dumped my money into a TJ or another XJ because as much fun as I have with my JK and as nice as it is... its just that, too nice and new. Even though I do it, its hard to justify driving doorless and topless through the mud, brush and whatever else I can find that will destroy a brand new vehicle. I just dont get leather on a Rubi. Dont get me wrong, its hella nice, and smells good on the inside but my new car smell was gone within a month of owning it because i never had the top or doors on. I wish they made the rubicon for what its supposed to be, with 33-35's, GOOD rock sliders, rhino lined interior, etc.

Every time I see a Rubi driving by and the douchebag has a turtle neck on and a starbucks in his hand, I know somewhere, God has killed a kitten. I hate that people buy these things because their the most expensive of the model, just to be a status symbol
    -Mike

"I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and I believe that our education like such as South Africa, and the Iraq, everywhere like, such as, and I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., or should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for our children."
    -Miss South Carolina

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice man, thanks for posting. You would think that they would come out with a model above the Rubicon.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what the sahara is supposed to be for. Color match fenders and top, different interior, 18" wheels... THATS supposed to be the doucheys jeep.
    -Mike

-Miss South Carolina

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFhockey31 View Post
    The more and more I look at it, I kinda wished I woulda dumped my money into a TJ or another XJ because as much fun as I have with my JK and as nice as it is... its just that, too nice and new. Even though I do it, its hard to justify driving doorless and topless through the mud, brush and whatever else I can find that will destroy a brand new vehicle. I just dont get leather on a Rubi. Dont get me wrong, its hella nice, and smells good on the inside but my new car smell was gone within a month of owning it because i never had the top or doors on. I wish they made the rubicon for what its supposed to be, with 33-35's, GOOD rock sliders, rhino lined interior, etc.

Every time I see a Rubi driving by and the douchebag has a turtle neck on and a starbucks in his hand, I know somewhere, God has killed a kitten. I hate that people buy these things because their the most expensive of the model, just to be a status symbol
    Thanks for the review! The only things that I really diddnt like about the JK's are the engine and the interior. Looks like the interior is fixed. Now they just gotta drop a hemi into it from the factory.

LOL! I bought a LJ Rubi, ripped the stock suspension off it and then wheeled it like I stole it!! The thing about the Rubi mall crawlers - there will be plenty of nice used ones available for us to modify in a few years. Here is a few pix of a Rubi wheeling for ya. No kittens killed on my account.

05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1974 to 1983

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like the previous poster said the good thing about the mall crusiers buying a great offroader is the fact that they tend to trade in early and then those of us who can't really afford a new one get a chance to get one at an affordable price. I picked up my 09, unfortunatly not a rubi, already lifted and ready to go for just 17k 9 months ago. Spent about 2k more over those 9 months to get winch with new front bumper, 35" toyo tires with offset rims, rock rails, and soft top. This thing can go just about anyplace. Whenever playing follow the leader behind the rubi's it keeps right on going where ever they want to lead, would think it had lockers if I didn't know that it doesn't.
    Maybe in 2012 we will get a stronger stock engine to push the big tires. Keep wheeling, gotta love a jeep, no matter how it looks.
    I have not yet begun to fight. John Paul Jones

Non-MVC Supporter Military Jeeper's Avatar

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1994 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it was a waste............I've been waiting 5 yrs for the JK to come with a real engine, was all siked up this year because of allpar.com's original assessment of the JK getting the Pentastar engine this year and what did Jeep give us..............................................................A NEW INTERIOR (which is nice), but where is the FLIPPING new engine.

Not sure what Jeep is doing.......but their true customers (us), the guys on the forums everyday want a better engine, not the Town and Country engine, especially when the 5.7L Hemi gets almost identical gas mileage as the POS JK 3.8L engine.

Off my rant. Oh, wait one sec...........I ended up buying a Toyota 4Runner instead of a new JK last week too (Wanted new 2011 GC, but it was too small for my 110lb dog).

Ok, now off my rant
    NOTE: I DO NOT ENDORSE MOUNTAIN VALLEY CUSTOMS (MVC) FOR ANY 4x4 MODIFICATIONS - PM ME IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS WHY!

(To those who wonder, I am NOT the club founder, this has been my screen name for over 10 yrs on all other forums and ironically this site is called "Military Jeepers"......contact miljeep for forum related questions)