Served
    Served
    1999 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USMC Heavy Duty Clutch Recommendation

So I need to replace the clutch on my JK. I am in the process of trying to get Chrysler to replace it free, but if I loose that battle I would like some recommendations for a heavy duty clutch. I just wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations.

I have 20K miles on the Jeep and I do not ride the clutch. I have had problems with it since I bought it. I have had to have the release bearing replaced about 6 months ago and it started poping out of gear about 3 months after I bought it. They say it needs to be replaced. I broke a bushing in the transfer case this weekend. I had to use 4 hi, it was my only choice, to get off the trail. They said I burnt it up trying to go up a hill. They said that the clutch was bad as I had no power in 4 hi. The guy at the shop could not get it to go over a curb in 4 hi.

If I cannot get Chrysler to replace it, does anyone have any suggestions for a heavy duty clutch?
    Michelle
    09 Wrangler Unlimited X
    3.25 Rough Country lift
    18" Rockstar Wheels
    35" Terra Grappler ATs
    Volant CAI and exhaust
    RBP Side Steps
    River Raider Skids (Pink)
    and most importantly Bobby Nets

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2000

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure sounds like you are going to need more than a clutch? Mine is at the dealership right now, 1st gear syncro is being replaced due to it popping out of 1st gear. Recommend you check the forum on JKOwners.com for clutch recommendations as some of the folks posted their clutch issues and fixes there.

http://jkowners.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=clutch
    Last edited by Dragline; 10-19-2010 at 18:28.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you contact a company like valair, south bend, or google clutch "rebuilder" they can reline the friction disk with different material. i had issues with my center force garbage arse dual friction slipping with my turbo stroker in the rocks in rocks out in johnson valley when i would really start to make it work. i contacted a company in chula vista, ca i found in a google search and they replaced the organic linings on my stock clutch i had with kevlar/ceramic. never had any issues again. didnt have any throwout bearing issues and with the stock pressure plate it was still easy to drive. just stickier linings.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1968

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spend a little money and go to speed shop and buy a
    heavy duty clutch(Diaphragm Type)
    If the tranny pops out of gear...thats sycronizer problems.
    Good luck
    If you don't give up---You will never fail.

8th Combat Engineers (Sapper) (Vietnam 66)

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USMC

Michelle...concur with the others on getting the Synchro checked inside the tranny for the popping out of gear. If you do have to bite the bullet and buy a clutch, you really can't go wrong with a Centerforce Dual Friction Disc. They are a little pricey, but I have used them for years in several different applications and they perform VERY well with a light pedal feel.

...so you went wheeling this weekend, huh? LOL Hope all goes well with the repair Chica!
    S/F
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragline View Post
    Sure sounds like you are going to need more than a clutch? Mine is at the dealership right now, 1st gear syncro is being replaced due to it popping out of 1st gear. Recommend you check the forum on JKOwners.com for clutch recommendations as so of the folks posted there clutch issues and fixes there.

http://jkowners.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=clutch
    Can you either post here or send me a PM desrcibing what happened and what they are doing to repair it. My 06 likes to pop out of gear but I haven't found a whole lot of info about it and I would like to know what your stealership said about it.

Als, the thread you cross-posted mentions a TSB for this problem but the TSB thread on that forum doesn't list the TSB for that problem. I also didn't see one when I looked online.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2003 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

South Bend clutch. Just put one in mine, carbon fiber, stage II. Nice heavy duty clutches. Then again I live here so I'm biased.
    "There is no safety for honest men but by believing all possible evil of evil men."
    - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by tickwomp View Post
    LED is awesome. It's so awesome, it's like you killed a unicorn and fashioned the TV from it's pristine horn.