Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default WJ lift

Ok I know there are mostly Wrangler style Jeeps on here but here goes. I just ordered 4" springs for my WJ. I have an adjustable track bar that I will have put on with the 4" springs. Will I need anything else? Control arms? It has been said that I might see some death wobble. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a ARB Bull Bar with winch on the front, so I am thinking I will see only about 3" lift on the front.
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Mountain Home AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey. Just joined due to your recommendation. I have the 4inch rough country X series lift. It's been great. It came with springs/lower control arms/front discos/A-arm spacer/track bar/shocks. I've only had it on a month but love it so far.
    Proud member of PETA=People for Eating Tasty Animals

99 WJ limited, 4.7L, K&N intake, 4 inch Rough Country X-series lift, hitch mounted tire carrier, 32.1 inch tires, JK moab rims/tires.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear adj track bar or drop bracket, at 4" I would look for front arms at least to give it a better ride and flex, sway bar end links at least for the front you can ditch the rear, You will only get wobble if your bushings are worn or steering components are worn the lift itself wont cause it it will however speed up the wearing of the stock arm bushings

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Peterson AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by biggoofy View Post
    Rear adj track bar or drop bracket, at 4" I would look for front arms at least to give it a better ride and flex, sway bar end links at least for the front you can ditch the rear, You will only get wobble if your bushings are worn or steering components are worn the lift itself wont cause it it will however speed up the wearing of the stock arm bushings
    Ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    I am officially a Huge Steeler's Fan!
    97 ZJ Murdered Out! (SOLD ), 5.5" Clayton L/A's front and rear, 242 swap, HP30 & 8.8 w/ 4.88's & Eaton ELocker's F/R, 35" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar.

Grand Cherokee Owners
    http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...php?groupid=44

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the input. Volvite, the A arm spacer, is that for the A arm on the rear axle? Will have to get the rear sway bar links for sure, but I think I will be able to get by with the stock ones on the front (From what I am looking at it looks like they will work). Not worried about flex as I do not so much hard wheeling so I think I will try the stock control arms for now and see what happens. I am doing this just to clear my new tires, 265X70X16, I have some rubbing issues on the front.
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1982 to 2008

Closest Installation

McClellan AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by airforce26yrs View Post
    Thanks for all the input. Volvite, the A arm spacer, is that for the A arm on the rear axle? Will have to get the rear sway bar links for sure, but I think I will be able to get by with the stock ones on the front (From what I am looking at it looks like they will work). Not worried about flex as I do not so much hard wheeling so I think I will try the stock control arms for now and see what happens. I am doing this just to clear my new tires, 265X70X16, I have some rubbing issues on the front.

Start looking for a spare/replacement front drive shaft now if you dont have a u-joint style one already. hundreds of threads out there on stock shaft going bad with any height lift.

Also start looking for adjustable lower control arms. This will help you lower your pinion angle and alleviate any death wobble. I'm running 6" with zero death wobble or vibes. So it can be done. Good luck.
    01 Grand, 6in lift, 33's, Aussie locked 30/35, rock rails, Surco rack, grille guard, front and rear hitch, t-max 12500lb winch, rock lights, Mean geen alt, TJ transfer skid plate, OBA, thalf doors and a few other things.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

already thinking about the drive shaft. Will probably order from Tom Woods when the time comes.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Mountain Home AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by airforce26yrs View Post
    Yes the A arm spacer is for the rear axle. I know i've read alot about the front drive shaft going out, but mine has not yet, knock on wood, but it does make a loud sound, so I'm only buying time until I can buy a new one from Tom Woods or Carolina Driveshaft.
    Proud member of PETA=People for Eating Tasty Animals

99 WJ limited, 4.7L, K&N intake, 4 inch Rough Country X-series lift, hitch mounted tire carrier, 32.1 inch tires, JK moab rims/tires.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK OK OK, I am convinced. Here is what else I am going to order. upper/lower front control arms, sway bar links for the rear, A-arm spacer for the rear and new isolators for the front as mine look bad. Anything else anybody can think of? What about a pitman arm, one of the kits I looked at had a new pitman arm.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no you dont need a new pitman arm as long as everything is alligned and setup properly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast