User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-theft alarms or Home made deturrents....any ideas??

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2009 to 2013

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anti-theft alarms or Home made deturrents....any ideas??

I have a 95 YJ with absolutely no kind of security device besides my hard top and a .45 Iím returning from my deployment later on this year from Iraq. No for sure word on where I'll be stationed at, but I hear I could be going to Texas. I know absolutely nothing about alarms, but I know a lot of them work with the keyless entry, remote start, engine disabling features, and some of them have 6 channels for reasons I donít know. As with just about every other YJ owner we donít have those fancy bells and whistles. So will those systems work??? I pretty good with wiring and very mechanically inclined. So Wiring up a battery cutoff and or a remote secondary ignition switch wont be to hard. But I wanted get some others ideas and opinions on what they think or have done. Thanks for you input

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cutoffs work well, or (there is a thread here about it) a hidden start switch. Alot of it boils down to wiring and getting everything to work together.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

auto or manual?

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Camp Pendleton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a proximity alarm on my TJ. When the top is on, if you open the door it gets pissed. When the top is off, if you reach in- it goes off. Its pretty nice, except it's too sensitive and will give a warning beep if wind blows by and the top is off.
    3rd Batallion 5th Marines
    Killing more people than aids since 1917

www.4x4corps.com

www.MilitaryFitnessForum.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2009 to 2013

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a 5 speed. Wiring really isnt a big deal to me. Wiring in a battery cutt off switch and finding a way to install a secondary switch to enable the ignition should be a huge task. Thats should be enought to deture someone.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have to have your clutch pressed to start? If so, you can do a $3x15 minute job and have it so the damn thing won't start no matter what

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2009 to 2013

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I do. But Im not trackin this 3x15???

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

three dollars for 15 minutes

Cut the wire leading to the clutch compression switch and put it on a 2 way switch.

on=connected
    off= clutch swith won't engage, so engine won't turn

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a whole heap of things you can do. Check out this from the Tech Section. On my old YJ I had a switch that cut off my fuel pump. No wires anywhere anyone would think of, and a switch that was very well hidden. IMHO, an alarm system could be a wast of money. It would be pretty easy for a thief to open a jeep hood and mess it up. Like korisu said, a 3 dollar switch works miracles.
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you are worried about someone walking away with a bumper or winch or other high dollar bolt on item, tack weld one of the bolts. (I think "Tack weld" is the appropriate term) anyway, just make it a little tougher for someone to get out there and unbolt the crap while you are not looking, but make it so you can still break that weld later on if needed.

Locking lugnuts help to make sure you have rubber to ride on in the morning.

If you have a spare mounted on a swingout, you may need a locking trailer hitch pin to keep the tire mount on the swingout. I have a swingout and using locking lug nuts to hold the tire on, but before the locking trailer hitch pin someone could have just walked up, unbolted the tire mount portion and walked off with the tire.

A tuffy security console or an ammo can as shown built and mounted in one of the threads here. Keep the crooks away from the little crap that they like to grab.

Other than that, if you have a cutoff, everything is secured properly to withstand tampering and they cannot get to anything that is locked away, you should be good.

I used some expanded metal and made a rack that fits in the back of my jeep. I have it connected to the floor via some wire cables and unless someone got in, unbolted the car seat and leaned the rear seat forward, they are not getting anything under the expanded metal. You could probably do the same and just bolt it down. Maybe even make some back for it that bends at the bottom and bolts to the floor. It is great for keeping tools and gear from being stolen and offers more tie down points in the rear to secure gear while on the trail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast