Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default goodyear mtr

Even though there is no substitute for swampers, I have grown to like my old school bfg mt. I am not to fond of the km2 style. Has anyone that had the old school bfg mt that now uses the goodyrear kevlar mtr or bfg km2 please give a quick review in comparison to the old school bfg mt. Thanks for any responses.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have run original Goodyear MT/R's, BFG all terrains, original BFG M/T KM's, and now the new BFG M/T KM'2s on my 05 LJ. I would say that by far the best all around tire for street and off road are the new KM 2's.

The original Goodyears were great off road, but were loud, had very bad wet weather traction on the road, and wore out fast.

The BFG All terrains were great street tires, actually did amazingly well off road in the rocks and in general situations, but load up in the mud and become slicks with no traction. They last almost forever, the set I had still had over 50 percent tread after a few years of daily driving when I pulled them off and traded them for the set of original BFG KM's. I will be buying another set of all terrains to put on the MJ pickup when the tires on it wear out.

The original BFG M/T KM's were great tires off road, and had better on road traction in the rain than the original Goodyear MT/R's. They were great in the snow last year. They also seemed to last darn near forever. I also ran them for about 2 years and had about 50-60 percent tread when I sold them after getting a great deal on the set of 35" KM2's. Downsides of the original KM's were that the tread made things rattle and vibrate at low speed, they were LOUD AS HELL, and they were difficult to balance.

I dont see what is not to like about the new KM 2's. I personally like the way they look. They are just as good as the original KM's off road, handle great on the road in general, and better than the original KM's in the rain. We will see how they do in the snow this winter. There is no low speed tread rumble or vibration. They are really easy to balance - there are almost no weights on my wheels. They are much quieter than the original MT/R's or KM's. They are not silent by any means - but now I can speak with passengers and hear the radio without cranking it so loud. Others my actually like extremely loud tires - 'Its a Jeep' but I like tires that are not contributing to my hearing loss thank you. They were hard to find in the 33x12.5x15 and 35x12.5x15 sizes for awhile, but BFG seems to have production up now.

Overall - I like the new KM 2's much better than the original KM's, and I liked those tires alot. As of now - when the KM 2's wear out I will replace them with another set.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks nice input..and from that I gather the km2 will be as good off road as my old school bfg mt. Still looking for a comparison with the km2-km-kevlar new design gy mtr

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know I've been looking at the KM2's ( i have the original BFG KM MT's on now at about 75%) MTR w/ Kevlar, and Nitto Trail Grappler (similar to the BFG KM tread with bigger side biters) for a little bit. Tire-rack and DiscountTireDirect have shown the best prices. The thing I've heard about the MTR's is they clog up bad. There is not enough space between the lugs especially in the center. I'm going to buy the KM2's unless I can find another set of the original MT's in 35's. They are still out there. I bought mine from Costco after they were discontinued.
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7
    7,000 mi and counting on the TBI 258
    DUI, Np435, Twin Sticked D300, Locked Waggy D44s
    4" SUA with homebrew spring outboard
    37" siped swampers with some other nifty bolt-ons.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

treadepot.com has pretty good prices, too. there are a few reviews there of the different brands, too. Just search by tire size.
    Keep it slow. I can't afford spare parts.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i ran the old km's on a toyota and i am running the new kevlar mt/r's on my lj and hands down the mt/r's are so much better they are really quiet on the road and are downright amazing on the rocks. my old km's whined like a 4 year old who got punched in the gut on the highway you couldnt hear anything over them. the goodyears are super quiet i dont hear em peep at all. with my old BFG's i was always worried about puncturing the sidewall or something horrible happening to them and they just didnt seem to bulge like the Goodyears do.
    Web Wheeling Sucks!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ran Procomp MTs (similar to the BFG MT) for 3 years before I got my Goodyear MTR Kevlars. The on and off road traction is considerably better with the Kevlars and they are much quieter than the Procomps. I am concerned about what the performance on ice will be since I also just installed an Aussie locker in the rear. I'll let you know how they work after our first big storm.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1995 to 2000

Closest Installation

Davis-Monthan AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I currently have the MTR Kevlars on my 2010 Rubicon and we had some snow the other day. They did great in the deep stuff and on ice it was some what better than the BFG MT tires. I still have a set of the BFG MTs on a extra set of wheels and they both have close to the same miles on them and they both wear the same but the BFGs are louder on the road than the MTR Kevlars. I just wish I bought the 35" instead of 33"s.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the old MTRs and they were great on about anything other than wet slippery stuff and snow. The new MTRs are supposed to do very well on that. I now have TrXus MTs and they are great. They don't wear as well as the MTRs. I have had two sets of MTRs and even at 40K miles they still had life in them.

I wheeled with a friend that has the new MTRs and they did great. If they wear as well as the old school MTRs they would be great choices for a Jeep that is used as a daily driver and off road.
    "If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
    Zig Ziglar

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1968 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Eustis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a set of the new Kevlar MTR's on my TJ (33x12.50x15). When I went to the Va.4x4 Asc. annual trail ride, I aired them down to 9lbs and went through like a Sunday drive. They took everything I threw at them. The jury is still out on snow!
    '86 CJ7, 265 CI, TF999, Weber 38, DUI, Borlas, 4"BDS.
    '04 TJ Sahara - Lot's of stuff pending!
    '00 TJ Sahara (Chick Jeep - wife's)!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast