2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dana 300 in a TJ

I'm planning on doing a d300 swap into my Jeep. I've sourced the parts I'll need already. So far, I just figure i'll need an input shaft from the NV3550 5-spd to the case itself, plus a clocking ring adapter to make it driver's side drop. Was wondering if there is anything else I would need? Also, if anyone has done a swap like this, I was wondering how the speedo gear is adapted to the new tailhousing.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1992

Closest Installation

Aberdeen Proving Ground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i remember reading up on this once a while back.Do a google search on dana 300 flip.I remember reading a lot of GOOD info on this.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can really run the D300 as is flipped, did it in my YJ with 0 leaks or issues. fab up a set of shifters and go with it. you will need a clocking ring as you stated. theres numerous companies that make them now a days.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 91YEEPER View Post
    you can really run the D300 as is flipped, did it in my YJ with 0 leaks or issues. fab up a set of shifters and go with it. you will need a clocking ring as you stated. theres numerous companies that make them now a days.
    x2

but if you look into all the upgrades for the d300 it is better to get an atlas that is what i am doing when i swap to the sm420 trans and a 4 speed atlas behind a monster stroker
    Rocks to a Jeep are like crack to an addict

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    Anything can be fixed with enough redneckery.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twojeeps View Post
    I'm planning on doing a d300 swap into my Jeep. I've sourced the parts I'll need already. So far, I just figure i'll need an input shaft from the NV3550 5-spd to the case itself, plus a clocking ring adapter to make it driver's side drop. Was wondering if there is anything else I would need? Also, if anyone has done a swap like this, I was wondering how the speedo gear is adapted to the new tailhousing.
    I could afford a $150 tcase and eventually upgrade to 32 spine outputs, 4:1 LOW, but I couldn't afford a $2600 tcaae all at once though. Eventually i did find a killer deal on a b case stak.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put no one down for doing to their jeep as they feel fit, its their money and pride of ride. That said, (and I know you are well down the road) and so more aimed at the general readers. I recommend a Rubicon OR 241, Atlas and the STAK in that order with some caveats. Unless you are big tires >37 ++ and big HP/torque > 350/350 the OR 241 is a low cost, easy install by most anyone upgrade. Get into the 'dark' side so to speak and the Atlas/STAK begins its siren call. This really the domain of the NON-daily driver rig who is looking to compete with the 'buggy-masters or others who spend much time and bucks on what I call LSR's or 'locally-serious rigs'.

LSR's are rigs built that see a LOT of off road time in venues typically within a 100 miles of where they live.

For 99.99% the OR 241 will do all you want or will ever want. While I know of the arguement of being able to have more than 1-low range or as many as 10 in the Atlas, there is little use for it for those who compartmentalize the OR experience, such as mudders, sand, rocks etc. If you run the gamut from mud to rocks to sand than by all means you need more flexibility. There and if you expedition travel such as the Artic Circle to the tip'o S America then you need the ability to flex your muscles on the myraid of challenges and an Atlas would be a ACE in your arsenal of tools...
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I pretty much agree with Don. Cna it be done? Without a doubt. Though you'll have to reconfigure the shifters as well as the speedo, insure yours doesn't have a vent that would end up upside down...etc. And I love my Dana 300s. Would I put one in my YJ? Sure...if I swapped in a Waggy front axle to. But then it would be on the road to crawler more than DD. Personally I think the 231 and 241 get less love than they deserve. Install a quality SYE and maybe a wide chain kit and the 2low and run it. If you need more gears (more, not lower) add a NWF Blackbox or Klune to the deal. I'm not a fan of the 4to1 kits as I do a fairly broad variety of off roading. Good luck no matter where you go with the build...keep us posted!

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdreamer View Post
    I pretty much agree with Don. Cna it be done? Without a doubt. Though you'll have to reconfigure the shifters as well as the speedo, insure yours doesn't have a vent that would end up upside down...etc. And I love my Dana 300s. Would I put one in my YJ? Sure...if I swapped in a Waggy front axle to. But then it would be on the road to crawler more than DD. Personally I think the 231 and 241 get less love than they deserve. Install a quality SYE and maybe a wide chain kit and the 2low and run it. If you need more gears (more, not lower) add a NWF Blackbox or Klune to the deal. I'm not a fan of the 4to1 kits as I do a fairly broad variety of off roading. Good luck no matter where you go with the build...keep us posted!
    I do already have the 231, with the AA SYE. The main reason I want to do this swap is for the inherent strength of a gear-driven vs. chain driven case. I took it apart recently also and foun worn gears, a stretched chain, and various other metal shavings whose source i couldn't find. All the bearings except the one in the tailhousing are ready to fall apart also. By the time I purchase all of these parts, I'm well over halfway to paying for a brand new t-case anyway, so it makes sense to me.

I am not doing this swap for rock crawling or anything like that. My Jeep is multi-purpose and sees all kinds of different terrains, with a small amount of street driving thrown in. I just want something somewhat less maintenance intensive with a little bit of extra strength thrown in. The bang for the buck factor is also something I'm a fan of.

Thanks for all the advice!!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdreamer View Post
    I did not mention, but the D 300 is not a good unit but a GREAT unit and have no issue with them at all, but as dreamer said its not a bolt in. If you are willing to go the extra mile in work the D 300 is an excellent choice.

Quote Originally Posted by twojeeps View Post
    I do already have the 231, with the AA SYE. The main reason I want to do this swap is for the inherent strength of a gear-driven vs. chain driven case. I took it apart recently also and foun worn gears, a stretched chain, and various other metal shavings whose source i couldn't find. All the bearings except the one in the tailhousing are ready to fall apart also. By the time I purchase all of these parts, I'm well over halfway to paying for a brand new t-case anyway, so it makes sense to me.

I am not doing this swap for rock crawling or anything like that. My Jeep is multi-purpose and sees all kinds of different terrains, with a small amount of street driving thrown in. I just want something somewhat less maintenance intensive with a little bit of extra strength thrown in. The bang for the buck factor is also something I'm a fan of.

Thanks for all the advice!!
    That sounds like some rough insides. I talked recently to the guy who pulled my OR241. I was the only owner and driver of the unit, it had 80k miles running 37's all of its life and wheeled all over the SW spending most of its time on 4+ trails.

What did he say. Looked like new, no chain stretch, no chipped gears or gear dust in the oil, no burnt bearings. He bolted it back up and installed it in his jeep.

Why are some like mine and some like yours. Not sure. Didn't change oil often enough, weekend warrior at the dragstrip, running with no oil. Who knows.

I did change oil every 25k and I used Chrysler oil.

I have opened up components and have been surprised that the owner was able to arrive at the shop under the rigs own power and other units look in better shape after 100k miles than ones with as few as 10k miles.

Who knows. But be it a D300, Atlas or NV231 there is the good and the ugly and as far as I know there is no direct linkage to any make or model of unit.
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1992

Closest Installation

Aberdeen Proving Ground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

get in touch with NOVAK at 435 753 2513. They have EVERYTHING you need to make the 300 conversion.I just called them and I'm fixing to do the same thing,except I am going to mate my ford np435 up to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast