1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tell me about this set up

Is it good out the door set up? I know the motor will turn the tires and I am pretty sure the axles will hold up but I don't know squat about this tranny/tcase
    It is a 1987 YJ SOA with a ford d44 front and a 9" rear (locked), 38x13x16 tsl's on aluminum wheels, FI Ford 5.0, np435 tranny and a 205 tcase
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 205 is beef. Don't know anything about the tranny though.

Bobby
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a solid 3/4 ton setup. Stock shafts won't last long though at both ends. Is it a big bearing 9"? Does it have a modular 3rd member? If not plan on replacing it with a 3.25" carrier bearing case so it'll hold up. I killed a stock case with chromo shafts and a Detroit.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 1989

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both are very strong, and used up through 1 ton trucks. The np435 is a cast iron 4 speed, and the Ford and Dodge versions have 6.68 to 1 first gear(very low), and even lower reverse. The np205 is very heavy and strong, but only has 1.96 to 1 low range. If thats not low enough you can buy lower gears for it.

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gu has itforsale and wants to trade for an XJ, I offered mine he countered hed take mine +$1000 I said I bet you would
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My buddy built almost same rig. He restored his yj then put a shortened ford hp dana44 and a bronco 9 w a 5.0/t18/np231. Only mistake was the 9 is 28spline its small bearing.. You want the 31 or 35 spline 9 inch Much better bearing set up. He changed his bearing twice in 2000 miles because of leaking beadlock.It doesnt like uneven loads for a period of time. He rewelded bead and been good for a bit. But his one regret so far was not getting the 31 or 35 spline.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going along with what everyone else said about the 9", that could be the only drawback. This webpage should give you most of the info you need for that 9", http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm. That trany is a great trans and depending on what year with what gearing it can be super low. Chevy, Ford and Dodge all used that trans at some point with Dodge using it through 93 in its 2500 and 3500 trucks, including the diesels. That is what I will be running in my YJ one day. I actually bought the same axle setup in that Jeep last year and later sold it to a buddy who was a little closer to finishing his rig and needed axles more than I. As long as that Jeep is in good shape and all the parts are good, that could be a great rig.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    gu has itforsale and wants to trade for an XJ, I offered mine he countered hed take mine +$1000 I said I bet you would
    its twice the jeep your XJ is. it has a frame.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
    My buddy built almost same rig. He restored his yj then put a shortened ford hp dana44 and a bronco 9 w a 5.0/t18/np231. Only mistake was the 9 is 28spline its small bearing.. You want the 31 or 35 spline 9 inch Much better bearing set up. He changed his bearing twice in 2000 miles because of leaking beadlock.It doesnt like uneven loads for a period of time. He rewelded bead and been good for a bit. But his one regret so far was not getting the 31 or 35 spline.
    im having a hard time understanding this post. they offer 33 spline and 35 spline shafts for the SB housing, they come with aftermarket outer taper bearings. you HAVE to have a 3.25" (i think) aftermarket third for most 35 and all 40 spline carriers though.

with the cost of most 35 spline you can do a 40 spline MW spool and gun drilled shafts for dang near the same price.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would consider it a fairly straight trade. neither is in perfect shape, neither has 1 tons or 1 off's like a 609. neither is running outrageous tires (+42"), both seem to run, have FI (must i think), has decent tires, axles, stockish suspension (i dont consider a rusty's LA bolt on that special or a SOA YJ suspension).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast